Underrated Guitar Players - Thoughts and Nominees anyone

HWGcock

Joined Nov 2, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 2, 2022
Buckingham is a great choice. I would also go with Michael Campbell (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers). Just has incredible tone that captures the spirit of the 60's.
I really like both of those guys, just never thought they were considered underrated. Lots of accolades thrown their way. Same with Mark Knopfler on some other posts. Seeing MK live up close is a freaking thrill of a lifetime. Sadly, he knows his best days are behind him and probably won’t tour anymore.

Personalfowl

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 16, 2022
Steve Morse. Founded the Dixie Dregs (later called the Dregs). Electric and acoustic. 12 string acoustic master. Later played with Deep Purple
and Kansas.

Pat Matheny was mentioned above and I'd add Lee Ritenour and Earl Klugh.

These guys have never been well known, but their colleagues in the business hold them in the highest regard.
Morse had my jaw on the floor live, more than most. His right hand is wicked.

Personalfowl

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 16, 2022
FIRST POST!

Underrated/Underappreciated off the top of my head...

Ty Tabor (King's X)
Ian Thornley (Big Wreck)
Steve Lukather (Toto, tons of solo artists)
David Grissom (John Mellencamp, Storyville)
Keith Scott (Bryan Adams)
Tim Pierce (studio cat for everyone under the sun)
Larry Chaney (Edwin McCain)
Lincoln Brewster

Go Cocks!
Ty and Luke , for sure!

Personalfowl

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 16, 2022
Ty Tabor-King’s X
Mathias Jabs-Scorpions (you can hum or whistle every one of his solos, they’re so catchy)
Paul Gilbert-Mr.Big
Gabriela-Rodrigo y Gabriela
Elliot Easton-The Cars
Richie Kotzen-The Winery Dogs
Ronnie (Ronnie G) Garvin-Stranger R.I.P. (one of the best I’ve ever seen live, and I’ve seen ‘em all!)

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
Ty Tabor-King’s X
Mathias Jabs-Scorpions (you can hum or whistle every one of his solos, they’re so catchy)
Paul Gilbert-Mr.Big
Gabriela-Rodrigo y Gabriela
Elliot Easton-The Cars
Richie Kotzen-The Winery Dogs
Ronnie (Ronnie G) Garvin-Stranger R.I.P. (one of the best I’ve ever seen live, and I’ve seen ‘em all!)
Good call on Kotzen. Phenomenal player AND singer.
I'll add Reb Beach (Winger, Dokken, Whitesnake) to the list.

Reactions: Personalfowl

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I think many fans of Prince recognized his songwriting and performing greatness, but not everyone recognized that he was a damn talented guitarist.
That's what I was thinking, that all-star band playing while my guitar gently weeps was doing just fine until Prince walked out and blew the lid off the joint, amazing! I bet I wasn't the only one that said damn I didn't know he could play like that!

Reactions: Prestonyte

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Fyi, Duane Betts has a new album out Wild & Precious Life, if you like that old ABB sound!

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Some really good guitar work in this cmt special with john mayer and keith urban, if you haven’t seen it it’s with the watch!

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
And Aaron Lee Tasjan, one of my guilty pleasures, this looks like so much fun, would love to see these guys live!

Latest posts