USC & UCLA to B1G by 2024; conferences react; TV contracts thread

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I'm not flying out to the west coast to watch a football game, unless one of my kids is playing in it. I have things to do. And a TV.
Probably not a lot of people flying cross county just for a game, but it's a great excuse if they want to visit a place like Oregon and Washington. Lots to do and see out here.

Reactions: Midnighter

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Getting USC does not make path any easier for CFP. We will probably play 5 teams with equal or better talent now (USC, UM, OSU, MSU, UW) plus usual brutal IA game with superior coach. UCLA won't be a cake-walk either with talent rich CA and now Chip Kelly. I wish we could leave for ACC with ND. Look at Clemson model, play one major marquee name in first two games. Win or lose, plenty of time before CFP. Feast on Pitt, NCST, BC, Wake, UNC, SU, GA Tech, with vastly less talent. Play maybe one of good but reeling programs in FLST, Miami, VT at some point. That is no gauntlet. I know it will never happen but this is getting too damn competitive.
The path will get easier when the SEC and Big 10 break off from everyone else and the NCAA, and form their own championship structure. If all of the big programs are in these 2 conferences, what's the point of a playoff with anyone else? I could envision a scenario where both the Big 10 and SEC hold their own mini playoff brackets with the 2 winners facing each other for the the grand final. This would be much like the AFC, NFC and Super Bowl.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Exactly. The mania over "TV market size" is, in and of itself, so not relevant.

As you point out, what matters is how many sets will tune in to watch Teams A and B play football - no matter where the teams are from, or where the sets are located.

Otherwise, Rice would be a heavily desired addition to the SEC, and Rutgers to the B10. How dumb would that be? (Oops).

Some more detailed data as it pertains to Delaney's Folly:

Total viewership for all nine of Rutgers' conference games in 2021:

6.16 Million. Under 700,000 per game.
Nearly 80% of that for their games against Michigan, OSU, and Penn State. When they were not playing PSU, Michigan, or OSU - an average of about 300,000 (About the same number who watched Buffalo take on Coastal Carolina in a Noon start on ESPN2. Maybe the Big Ten should have added Buffalo, to get that NYC market locked down?)
No one, in NYC, or anywhere else, turns on the TV to watch Rutgers.
FWIW: Rutgers' "expansion partner", Maryland, a very non-premiere program, in a smaller and more geographically competitive market, drew about 70% more eyeballs per game than Rutgers.

Penn State, FWIW, drew just under 39 million (and had only about 10% of their typical viewership when they played Rutgers)
Ohio State drew just under 52 million (and only had about 20% of their typical viewership when they played Rutgers)
Michigan drew just over 50 million (and only had about 45% of their typical viewership when they played Rutgers)

Rutgers not only doesn't provide any viewers, they significantly decrease viewership by dragging down the desirable programs when they have to schedule Rutgers.
It is what it is.

College football TV ratings, 2021 edition - Sports Media Watch
But wasn't there some BTN clause about being able to charge higher subscription fees and mandatory inclusion of BTN in bottom tier cable packages if the state or region had a Big 10 team located there? If so, adding UMD and Rutgers adds a nice bump in BTN revenues. I seem to remember this being part of BTN's structure back when it was launched, but maybe it's since been changed. It frustrated me at the time because I live in Texas and had to pay for a more expensive cable package in order to get BTN here. This model also would lose value with each passing year as cable loses subscribers to streaming services.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I'm not flying out to the west coast to watch a football game, unless one of my kids is playing in it. I have things to do. And a TV.
I am guessing USC/UCLA fans feel the same way about coming east.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
I understand the remaining 10 teams showing a united front. However after they discuss their options, which schools will decide the options stink and be on the phone to Warren at the first opportunity??
I would assume that every single PAC 12 team has already reached out to the Big Ten. And all have been told no.

We've already had reliably sources indicate the Big Ten told UO/UW that they are in a holding pattern. No other moves from the Big Ten involving Pac 12 teams is imminent, not until Notre Dame has a chance to survey and consider options.

Reactions: LionJim

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
But Boston University is! Plus ice hockey!
Well I like that, however they don’t have football. Would be interesting to see if B1G would add any schools that have other sports but not football. Could get B1G Network into MA without having football. Interesting.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Well I like that, however they don’t have football. Would be interesting to see if B1G would add any schools that have other sports but not football. Could get B1G Network into MA without having football. Interesting.

I don't see that happening. The B1G has agreements with schools for certain sports (MLAX, WLAX, etc.) to play in the B1G for that sport, but not be a part of the B1G.

Money, stemming from college football, appears to be the driving force with pretty much all of the major moves that have been made in the past X number of years in terms moving from this league to that league. The other sports fit in as best they can, but they are not what's causing teams to move from leagues they have been in for decades.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
My guess is ND & UVA for 18 and Oregon & Washington for 20 teams.

ND for their national viewers, UVA for the huge DMV market. Oregon and Washington lock up the pacific NW.

New conference name the Big North or the Big USA.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

BIG Network is already into MA. I've watched virtually every PSU game since I've lived here. BU is a complete non-factor, athletically. Same with BC, except at least there the co-eds have rich daddies who pushed religion heavily onto their daughters, so they drink a ton and get REALLY freaky. Might make it worth the trip if you can still pull it off.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Probably not a lot of people flying cross county just for a game, but it's a great excuse if they want to visit a place like Oregon and Washington. Lots to do and see out here.

Sure. Maybe when the kids are out of the house and I'm retired and have nothing better to do. But by then I'll probably have grandkids I'd rather spend time with.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
My guess is ND & UVA for 18 and Oregon & Washington for 20 teams.

ND for their national viewers, UVA for the huge DMV market. Oregon and Washington lock up the pacific NW.

New conference name the Big North or the Big USA.
UVA football games are rarely on even in the dc market. I live near dc, obviously more umd fans but also psu and vt so uva does not add anything viewership wise

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
UVA football games are rarely on even in the dc market. I live near dc, obviously more umd fans but also psu and vt so uva does not add anything viewership wise
It's all about adding cable subscriptions to B1G Network not necessarily about actual eyes on the tv.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
It's all about adding cable subscriptions to B1G Network not necessarily about actual eyes on the tv.
I'm not sure that's true anymore, especially with cable losing customers and streaming services gaining ground. Apple is one of the players that wants in the broadcast negotiations and Apple also recently locked up a deal with MLS. I know MLS isn't in the same universe as football TV numbers, but I expect the streaming services are going to continue to push more into the live sports market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bison13

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Any Texas TV markets to consider?

MARKET
STATETV HOUSEHOLDS (2021–22)EXPECTED CONFERENCE FAN AFFILIATIONS
1New YorkNew York7,452,620Big Ten
2Los AngelesCalifornia5,735,230Big Ten
3ChicagoIllinois3,471,560Big Ten
4PhiladelphiaPennsylvania2,997,360Big Ten
5Dallas-Fort WorthTexas2,962,520SEC, Big 12