USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
I’m excited to see Joe Scally! 18 years old and a starter at Borussia Monchengladbach, which is probably one of the five or six best clubs in Germany. Could be our next big thing. Hopefully Gregg gives him a game.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I’m excited to see Joe Scally! 18 years old and a starter at Borussia Monchengladbach, which is probably one of the five or six best clubs in Germany. Could be our next big thing. Hopefully Gregg gives him a game.

agreed. I actually saw him play on his academy team when he was a teenager. He was good, but I don't think I would have projected his progression to this level; certainly not what he's accomplished in the past year.

Reactions: DavidEckert

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Every national team manager is going to have questions raised about a roster selection, but it is expected at this point that Berhalter will make multiple decisions that only leave people who pay close attention in befuddled irritation.

While every coach has favorites, there seems to be some players who can do no wrong and other players who can do no right. I am not really sure why De La Torre, a guy confident on the ball and technically solid, cannot seem to win over Berhalter. He looked fine in his limited usage last window. Two of the backups, Lletget and Roldan, that are being called in instead have the glaring weakness of not being counted on to progress the ball forward in the attack. I think De La Torre is a superior option in that area. The only things these guys have over him is experience and, something that seems crucial for this coach for certain people, this coach's familiarity and comfort. While I'm more okay with Lletget, I do not see what Roldan has to offer when he's put out there as a second half sub.

Arriola is going to continue to get every call up that ever exists as long as he's fit despite his well-known limitations at the attacking wing position. The man runs a lot and runs hard, but we need technical ability in the attack. He also benefits from having one less winger available who would push him down the depth chart on his side of the field (Reyna).

I am not sure I understand Berhalter's trust in Mark McKenzie. I do not think Mckenzie is quite there yet for the WCQ level and he has had moments where he plays very nervously. I used to watch him when he was with the Union and I think he has the tools to become a pretty formidable CB, but he has made more than one gaffe when he's been on the field for the national team, so I just do not yet trust him. It's fascinating that Brooks was left off, but a player I'd like to see given a shot instead of McKenzie is Cameron Carter-Vickers. He's been starting for Celtic and he's got more experience under his belt than McKenzie.

Reactions: Tgar

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Every national team manager is going to have questions raised about a roster selection, but it is expected at this point that Berhalter will make multiple decisions that only leave people who pay close attention in befuddled irritation.

While every coach has favorites, there seems to be some players who can do no wrong and other players who can do no right. I am not really sure why De La Torre, a guy confident on the ball and technically solid, cannot seem to win over Berhalter. He looked fine in his limited usage last window. Two of the backups, Lletget and Roldan, that are being called in instead have the glaring weakness of not being counted on to progress the ball forward in the attack. I think De La Torre is a superior option in that area. The only things these guys have over him is experience and, something that seems crucial for this coach for certain people, this coach's familiarity and comfort. While I'm more okay with Lletget, I do not see what Roldan has to offer when he's put out there as a second half sub.

Arriola is going to continue to get every call up that ever exists as long as he's fit despite his well-known limitations at the attacking wing position. The man runs a lot and runs hard, but we need technical ability in the attack. He also benefits from having one less winger available who would push him down the depth chart on his side of the field (Reyna).

I am not sure I understand Berhalter's trust in Mark McKenzie. I do not think Mckenzie is quite there yet for the WCQ level and he has had moments where he plays very nervously. I used to watch him when he was with the Union and I think he has the tools to become a pretty formidable CB, but he has made more than one gaffe when he's been on the field for the national team, so I just do not yet trust him. It's fascinating that Brooks was left off, but a player I'd like to see given a shot instead of McKenzie is Cameron Carter-Vickers. He's been starting for Celtic and he's got more experience under his belt than McKenzie.
I'm with you on most of this. It seems McKenzie makes a huge mistake every time he plays. I expect that the center pack pairing will be MIles Robinson and either Walker ZImmerman or Chris Richards but I'm genuinely scared of McKenzie seeing the pitch haha.

I like Arriola though. Sometimes you need that energizer bunny. Pepi doesn't press a ton and we know Pulisic doesn't either. Feels like he compensates nicely for some of their deficiencies even if he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
agreed. I actually saw him play on his academy team when he was a teenager. He was good, but I don't think I would have projected his progression to this level; certainly not what he's accomplished in the past year.
Funny how that works, isn't it. You never know when a guy is going to bloom.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I like Arriola though. Sometimes you need that energizer bunny. Pepi doesn't press a ton and we know Pulisic doesn't either. Feels like he compensates nicely for some of their deficiencies even if he can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I think that is precisely why Arriola leads all players in minutes earned under Gregg Berhalter since he took over—and that even includes a period of time he was unavailable for due to injury.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Well, I wish they were, but not quite at this time--more in the middle of the pack. And I've been a Gladbach fan since HS (my license plate is "Fohlen")--back in the early 1970s. But Gladbach is well known for doing an excellent job developing young players, for the most part (however, De Jong did not work out too well with them), which is why they've been known as the "Foals" (Fohlen in German) for quite some time. And yes, I'm wearing a Gladbach jacket in my board picture. They are also known for taking a chance on non-German players (they had one of the first Scandinavian players in the Bundesliga--before they brought in club legend Allan Simonsen) and actually giving them a fair chance--both Kasey Keller and Michael Bradley starred there.

BTW, one of the great experiences of my life was attending the Gladbach-Liverpool Champions Cup semifinal in Düsseldorf in 1978. Cost me 5 Marks (about $3).

Reactions: Tgar and CyphaPSU

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Well, I wish they were, but not quite at this time--more in the middle of the pack. And I've been a Gladbach fan since HS (my license plate is "Fohlen")--back in the early 1970s. But Gladbach is well known for doing an excellent job developing young players, for the most part (however, De Jong did not work out too well with them), which is why they've been known as the "Foals" (Fohlen in German) for quite some time. And yes, I'm wearing a Gladbach jacket in my board picture. They are also known for taking a chance on non-German players (they had one of the first Scandinavian players in the Bundesliga--before they brought in club legend Allan Simonsen) and actually giving them a fair chance--both Kasey Keller and Michael Bradley starred there.

BTW, one of the great experiences of my life was attending the Gladbach-Liverpool Champions Cup semifinal in Düsseldorf in 1978. Cost me 5 Marks (about $3).
I really did not expect to encounter a die-hard Gladbach fan on this board...or, ever, really! That's super cool. That sounds like an amazing experience, too. I've always wanted to spend a few weeks in Europe and hop from country to country to see games at all the famous grounds. I'm jealous!

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I really did not expect to encounter a die-hard Gladbach fan on this board...or, ever, really! That's super cool. That sounds like an amazing experience, too. I've always wanted to spend a few weeks in Europe and hop from country to country to see games at all the famous grounds. I'm jealous!
Well, I spent time there as a Penn State Foreign Studies person at the University of Cologne in 1978. That helped. We've been back a few times since, and I have seen Gladbach play 3 times at the new Borussia Park. Once with Keller in Goal (and Conor Casey for Mainz). I've also been to a few other stadia, like the Berlin Olympic Stadium for games. Of course living in Cologne as a Gladbach fan is like wearing Maize and Blue in Columbus.....

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Well, I spent time there as a Penn State Foreign Studies person at the University of Cologne in 1978. That helped. We've been back a few times since, and I have seen Gladbach play 3 times at the new Borussia Park. Once with Keller in Goal (and Conor Casey for Mainz). I've also been to a few other stadia, like the Berlin Olympic Stadium for games. Of course living in Cologne as a Gladbach fan is like wearing Maize and Blue in Columbus.....
It does seem more fun to be a Gladbach fan than a Koln fan, at least nowadays. I think you made the right choice!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Gee, these are some seriously high IQ discussions we’re seeing here. (Way above by pay grade, tbh.) Much appreciated.

• Haha

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Meanwhile, Berhalter has mentioned Pulisic could be used (out of position) as a #9, if needed...
Weird choice not to call up a second nine. Dike is banging the goals in for Orlando City right now, too. Don't see why you wouldn't give him a call just for the security if nothing else.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Weird choice not to call up a second nine. Dike is banging the goals in for Orlando City right now, too. Don't see why you wouldn't give him a call just for the security if nothing else.
Is there anything more Berhalter than this? Each window seems to bring about a different position group that appears undermanned.

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Is there anything more Berhalter than this? Each window seems to bring about a different position group that appears undermanned.
Just a chronic overthinker. It's a shame because I think he's generally pretty smart. Just gets in his own way.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Just a chronic overthinker. It's a shame because I think he's generally pretty smart. Just gets in his own way.
I don’t think he is all that smart. If only the USMNT could go out and get an international coach of some renown for a one year run. Hire Marcelo Gallardo out of River Plate, give him a pile of money and free reign. We have a lot of technical short game players, Gallardo can mold that into a machine quickly.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
To clarify, USA-Mexico is at 9pm tomorrow, Friday, on ESPN.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Despite my criticism of Berhalter's system and how he tries to place his view of how the team should play over what the skillset of his pool of players actually provides, he has done a pretty good job in recruiting. He has not won all the recruitments, but I think he's done pretty well.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
A couple of good friends headed out today for it…paid $450 each for tickets. I would have definitely gone, but had to pass since I wouldn’t be back in time for Saturday’s Michigan game. Great bucket list item though.

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Sounds like Pulisic isn't going to start, and Steffen, not Turner, will be in goal.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Without Pulisic starting, we will need offensively-capable attackers on the pitch even more. Aaronson will take Christian's place (which is fine); but, you just know Arriola is going to start instead of Weah. Assuming that happens and Yedlin gets the start at right back, the right side of our formation may be a pain to watch.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Us Soccer Celebration GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I am still puzzled why a game in the Eastern time zone starts at 9 pm....

And it should have been in Columbus. We're 4-1 (the one I missed (daughter of a friend's wedding in San Diego), we lost).

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I am still puzzled why a game in the Eastern time zone starts at 9 pm....

And it should have been in Columbus. We're 4-1 (the one I missed (daughter of a friend's wedding in San Diego), we lost).
The safest guess is that it would be 6pm in Los Angles. There are a lot of soccer-crazy eyes in LA.

It always bugs me that a lot of NCAAMBB games played in the East start at 9pm.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
The safest guess is that it would be 6pm in Los Angles. There are a lot of soccer-crazy eyes in LA.

It always bugs me that a lot of NCAAMBB games played in the East start at 9pm.
What really bugs me is that this approach of accommodating the west coast is never reciprocated. How many times does a USMNT match on the west coast start before 10:00 EST? There are still significantly more people living in the eastern third of the country than the western third.

Latest posts