USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Ugh, I just realized that the USMNT match against Jamaica takes place on Tuesday, 11/16, at 5 pm EST. I guess I'm going to miss the live broadcast of the match.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I believe Sands was the only player added, despite losing two due to suspension. Even though he was not all that impressive in his most recent camp, Sands can provide cover in depth for both the DM and CB positions. This should also mean that Scally will make it into the 18 on match day. Would be nice to see him make an appearance of some sort.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
First, there is no law against Steffen running that far from his goal area.

Second, it was a dead ball situation, so there isn't much of a focus on field players in terms of how far they roam from where they were before play was stopped. If Steffen were on the bench at the time of the incident, then that would be an issue.

Third, getting in the face of the ref would not by itself warrant a card. If it went on too long, that could warrant a card.

My suspicion is that the card was not based on how far Steffen ran to confront the ref, or his discussing/arguing the foul with the ref. Most cards issued in situations like that are given for dissent. And most cards given for dissent are based on what the player said to the ref (i.e., its degree of being inappropriate), with the second most common reason being persistent dissent by a particular player, which does not appear to be the case in this situation (though again, we don't know for sure).

I''ve rewatched the sequence several times, and I feel even more strongly than I did at the time of my prior post that the ref's actions caused him to miss the worst of the situation, and as such he really screwed up.
I'll agree that the ref wasn't great in some aspects--but not as bad as I feared. One of the issues is that refs from the lesser lights don't get to ref as much high quality matches. But I wonder if the ref looked at it like they do in hockey (where the keeper is supposed to stay near the crease). Personally, I'd like to see more cards for dissent to stop the crowding around the ref that happens far too much after an incident. Captain, yes. The rest of the team? No.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I'll agree that the ref wasn't great in some aspects--but not as bad as I feared. One of the issues is that refs from the lesser lights don't get to ref as much high quality matches. But I wonder if the ref looked at it like they do in hockey (where the keeper is supposed to stay near the crease). Personally, I'd like to see more cards for dissent to stop the crowding around the ref that happens far too much after an incident. Captain, yes. The rest of the team? No.
Agree, just like in any sport if you want to make a spectacle of a call or situation....refs will check you. The ref missed the eye rake for sure, but I wasn't shocked by the card to Stefan. Keepers don't run up the field and get in the refs face. Trying to show up any official in any sport doesn't turn out well even when they miss a call.

Last edited:

CoolBean

Sep 20, 2021
Canada vs Mexico tonight in Edmonton, here is the field this morning

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
I’m told it’s on Comcast 631 (universo or something like that) and streaming on paramount plus.

Lane

Oct 12, 2021
Lucky to get out with a point IMO. Still not entirely sure what the call was on the Reggae Boys on that goal they waved off, but between that and the airmailed chippy earlier in the half it was uber dicey.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Lucky to get out with a point IMO. Still not entirely sure what the call was on the Reggae Boys on that goal they waved off, but between that and the airmailed chippy earlier in the half it was uber dicey.
Thought he climbed on Zimmerman’s back

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
A couple of serious muggings on Pulisic, the second of which I thought deserved a red card.

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
I’m told it’s on Comcast 631 (universo or something like that) and streaming on paramount plus.
Looks like canada mexico on 611 (Telemundo) on my Xfinity in Michigan.
The Mexican announcers look really cold lol

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Disappointing mentality today, but Gregg really needs to figure out better tactics for when we have to play on a bumpy pitch. Our guys look sloppy and slow when the ball does not roll like they're used to in Europe or MLS. Need to get the ball into the box more and cause chaos on fields like that.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Honduras playing in St Paul on Feb 2? Probably won't be too cold for them:rolleyes:

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Honduras playing in St Paul on Feb 2? Probably won't be too cold for them:rolleyes:
It’s unnecessary. Most of our starting players do not play in weather like that in Europe, either. Plus, any of our MLS players do not play in February anyway.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
It’s unnecessary. Most of our starting players do not play in weather like that in Europe, either. Plus, any of our MLS players do not play in February anyway.
I think so too. You can play in Austin again in Feb and it could be in the 40's at night....that will do the trick. Give St. Paul some spring and summer friendlies if need be.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Ledezma is someone a lot of folks are keeping an eye on because he has the type of technical ability and creativity that, if he can develop at the professional level, could blossom into a really valuable midfielder who offers a skill set that has traditionally been lacking in the USMNT. He looked very promising on the U-20 national team. PSV is a great place to be for a young player, so hopefully he can get really get back on the track of progress.

Reactions: Shoresy

DavidEckert

Sep 20, 2021
Traditionally the domestic friendly is held in January and is jocularly referred to by fans as "Camp Cupcake." But since this is in December, the funniest name I've seen applied to this year's version is "Camp Greggnog."

That's phenomenal :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CyphaPSU

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021

I'm not sure it's entirely about getting them to play in cold weather. Travel is a big factor especially with the 3 games at a time schedule for qualifiers.

USMNT has the away game at Canada - being played in Hamilton, near Toronto - as the middle game. Playing two games relatively close to there cuts down on long travel for the team. Conversely, players from Honduras and El Salvador have to travel even farther from Central America to get to Minnesota and Ohio. Why make it a shorter and easier trip for them?

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I'm not sure it's entirely about getting them to play in cold weather. Travel is a big factor especially with the 3 games at a time schedule for qualifiers.

USMNT has the away game at Canada - being played in Hamilton, near Toronto - as the middle game. Playing two games relatively close to there cuts down on long travel for the team. Conversely, players from Honduras and El Salvador have to travel even farther from Central America to get to Minnesota and Ohio. Why make it a shorter and easier trip for them?
Surely those are factors included in the decision-making, but my argument is that those very same advantages could be accomplished in other MLS stadium locations not terribly far from Hamilton, ON that are not also potential frozen tundra. o_O