USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

Twellman, who I don’t always agree with, basically stated what I wrote here last week. Berhalter’s system going up against our WC opponents is concerning.

Reactions: Shoresy and GreggK

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Some good and some bad. I like most of the game announcers, but feel the studio analysts are a big step down from ESPN. I liked Dempsey as a player but not a fan of him on TV…and no comment on Ochocinco. I’ll miss guys like Ballack and Roberto Martinez.

GreggK

May 25, 2022

Twellman, who I don’t always agree with, basically stated what I wrote here last week. Berhalter’s system going up against our WC opponents is concerning.

I am really surprised to see Twellman come out and say that since so many of the former players walk the line. But he is dead on, this isn’t a club, you have limited choices in who you can play. Putting a square peg into a round hole isn’t a recipe for success. Especially when you have to pick lesser talented players that better match your inadequate system.

And oh, Hercules Gomez Specifically called out Berhalter for picking Zimmerman and Long.

Berhalter is completely indefensible.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
And oh, Hercules Gomez Specifically called out Berhalter for picking Zimmerman and Long, who the two twits on here have mocked me for saying the same thing.

Please stop acting like a spoiled child, and attacking anyone that disagrees with you. State your point and move on, and forget about the other BS. You've been on the board long enough to know better.

Reactions: Tgar

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Please stop acting like a spoiled child, and attacking anyone that disagrees with you. State your point and move on, and forget about the other BS. You've been on the board long enough to know better.

Fair enough and I will edit that. but it is reaction to direct attacks from them. I didn’t mention them once when I was talking about this team and yet they couldn’t help putting me down repeatedly.

Mdking0001

Oct 12, 2021
The whole World Cup process is crazy to me for all countries. They have friendlies to prepare where they may have half their projected lineup available because of injury fear of injury or player needs to play with current professional team.

then you try to put together a game plan and coaches approach with players who spent last 4 years playing differently.

add in trying to get them to mesh with a few practice sessions before the match.

personally I don’t get upset with the warmup matches. I’m just happy they made the big tourney and we will see what countries are able to quickly out it all together get hot get lucky stay healthybond and make a run. It’s a crap shoot for almost all countries.

Just going to sit back in Nov and enjoy it while it lasts. Personally I will root for a couple other countries including Germany to make it more exciting for me.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

south park beat a dead horse GIF

GreggK

May 25, 2022
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Berhalter had more bounce passes than goals scored this window <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/usmnt?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#usmnt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/berhalter?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#berhalter</a></p>&mdash; maybe Josh (@JoshBustamante4) <a href="">September 27, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I enjoyed the wise post from a fellow board member that said a few weeks ago...

I will never understand people who insist on being negative. We have a choice in life to be positive or negative. I will never understand those who choose negativity.

And spare me with the “I’m a realist” BS. Fact is, none of us are able to see the future, so none of these thoughts are based on reality. Just a choice, to be negative

• Haha
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I enjoyed the wise post from a fellow board member that said a few weeks ago...

I will never understand people who insist on being negative. We have a choice in life to be positive or negative. I will never understand those who choose negativity.

And spare me with the “I’m a realist” BS. Fact is, none of us are able to see the future, so none of these thoughts are based on reality. Just a choice, to be negative

Being negative about an undefeated Penn State team and being critical of a coach who could not be Japan or Saudi Arabia are two very different things.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

Auston Trusty (a central defender) scored two goals today for Birmingham City. In all honesty, I did not think that much of him when he played with the Philadelphia Union, but right now he's on loan from Arsenal and has played every minute of Birmingham's campaign in the English Championship so far. His club manager seems to be personally begging for Gregg Berhalter to put him on the plane to Qatar 😆

GreggK

May 25, 2022

Auston Trusty (a central defender) scored two goals today for Birmingham City. In all honesty, I did not think that much of him when he played with the Philadelphia Union, but right now he's on loan from Arsenal and has played every minute of Birmingham's campaign in the English Championship so far. His club manager seems to be personally begging for Gregg Berhalter to put him on the plane to Qatar 😆

hush, we can’t talk about other players on here, let alone players who Berhalter doesn’t favor!

btw, awesome to see him play well.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
A podcast from Roger Bennett. I don’t do podcasts (unfortunately), but this sounds most interesting.

Reactions: GreggK

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Josh Sargent is showing us that the English Championship is his floor—which is a pretty good floor to have. The question remains how high will his ceiling become. Hoping for the best.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Long on experience, short on recent results. Sprinkle in a couple of injuries and it seems apparent Berhalter is the wrong guy to lead this team.

It just feels like the end result here that is going to be predictable is finger pointing.

The “ Berhalter system “ seems to be nothing more than a junior high popularity contest. Touchy, feely, short on substance. He really wasted the opportunities against Japan and Saudi Arabia.

My current felling is it is going to be hard for them to advance out of the group.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Horrible day for Canada, though. Lost their starting keeper for sure in MLS Cup and likely their best player today in the Bayern game

Reactions: Tgar

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Yea, the Davies injury is a killer. So many injuries throughout the world right now (hence why we shouldn't be playing a World Cup in November).

If I could have liked that post 100 times, I would have. So many things wrong with holding the World Cup in November. Injuries are an issue for several teams due to their players being in the middle of their regular season in so many leagues.

Last edited:

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
If I could have liked that post 100 times, I would have. So many things wrong with holding the World Cup in November. Injuries are an issue for several teams due to their players being in the middle of their regular season in so many leagues.
Tops on the list... being held in Qatar. I'm going to watch, like everyone else. I just wish I had the balls not to. FIFA is sickening.

Reactions: LionJim