USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Gregg, he's going to coach the WC. Nothing you or your LARGE group of people can do about it now. Nobody here has put him in the HOF and nobody here is even putting him on a pedestal. People wanted him out before he coached a GD game, then he won some trophies and got us qualified so they had to STFU for a bit and now they come crawling back out. Awesome, it's not going to change a thing between now and November. He earned the right to coach the WC whether you like it or not...and we all know you don't. We got it. We know you don't like his comments on the system....we got it. You know how PSU has a few posters that just piss all over Franklin non stop no matter what.....aren't they a tad bit annoying at times?

We all want the US to do well and that means Berhalter too....if he doesn't the next HC has a very young nucleus to move forward with over the next four years. I'm done with this discussion on him to be honest...way over it.

And so therefore nobody is allowed to criticize him after some very poor performances by the team that he put together and playing with his "system"? So the best thing to do is just pretend that isn't a thing and discuss the team and not the gigantic elephant in the room? Talking about berhalters tactics and team selection is perfectly valid. If you don't want to hear it, by all means, ignore it.

Again, there are so many differences between this team and Penn State football. This team is supposed to look as good as it has in four years leading up to the world cup. I am not sure what it is, but it certainly isn't anywhere near that. Penn State is undefeated now and yeah, criticism doesn't make much sense regarding Penn State.

I just find Berhalter incredibly frustrating as he just doesn't seem to know how to get out of his own way.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
And so therefore nobody is allowed to criticize him after some very poor performances by the team that he put together and playing with his "system"? So the best thing to do is just pretend that isn't a thing and discuss the team and not the gigantic elephant in the room? Talking about berhalters tactics and team selection is perfectly valid. If you don't want to hear it, by all means, ignore it.

Again, there are so many differences between this team and Penn State football. This team is supposed to look as good as it has in four years leading up to the world cup. I am not sure what it is, but it certainly isn't anywhere near that. Penn State is undefeated now and yeah, criticism doesn't make much sense regarding Penn State.

I just find Berhalter incredibly frustrating as he just doesn't seem to know how to get out of his own way.
You realize it's one of the youngest squads around and you still don't see it...nor will you. Being critical is fine, doing it all the time regardless isn't. You aren't allowed to bring up him winning the 2 trophies or beating Mexico 3 times....just that Canada loss or when they play bad. It's not the criticism, it's the repetition and total lack of balance. Later Gregg.

Reactions: Hlstone

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
The team looks lost at the moment. They lack cohesion, ideas, and confidence. That’s both on players and manager. I will defend this position: they are playing less than the sum of their parts. Need some injuries to heal, but that’s not going to correct everything. November is more of a concern now than it was two weeks ago.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

manweiser

Oct 12, 2021
berhalter has lost this team. the players who are playing at a high level in europe realize he is horrible (compared to their coaches) and are starting to show their lack of confidence in him. i.e. reyna/pulisic. more will be coming forward. the team wants him gone.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
berhalter has lost this team. the players who are playing at a high level in europe realize he is horrible (compared to their coaches) and are starting to show their lack of confidence in him. i.e. reyna/pulisic. more will be coming forward. the team wants him gone.
Who is playing at a high level in Europe? Aaronson and Adams I would agree with. Pulicisic doesn't play and is very average when he does get some time. Reyna has been banged up and is just getting back on the pitch. McKennie hasn't been consistent this year and I think when he is on, he is the engine for this team. Musah was playing well and with confidence but he was banged up and you can see we will really need him.

US lacks a good CB pairing and people can question those there or talk about the others not there....none are great CB's if you're being brutally honest. They are hard working CB's that are all limited with the ball at their feet. Then you don't have a striker so all we can really hope for is they get healthy and hustle out 2 results somehow in the group stage. It's a very young team that has some talent, but take a look Portugal, France, Belgium, Germany....etc.....then look at our starting 11 even if they are all healthy. There is a pretty big step up there in talent. This idea that the US is so much better than other average teams is a product of the US Soccer media....they aren't so talented to just play average and win games. They don't have that super high end quality those teams that I mentioned have.

Last edited:

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Regardless of Pulisic’s playing time at Chelsea and McKinnie’s form with Juve since coming back from injury, we all know they are actually capable of playing better than they are showing.

That’s the tough part of managing: how to get the best out of one’s players. That’s one of my biggest concerns with Berhalter and his approach.

Reactions: GreggK

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Regardless of Pulisic’s playing time at Chelsea and McKinnie’s form with Juve since coming back from injury, we all know they are actually capable of playing better than they are showing.

That’s the tough part of managing: how to get the best out of one’s players. That’s one of my biggest concerns with Berhalter and his approach.
Both players had the ball in space today and tried linking up, but they weren't sharp enough. Offsides, heavy touches, and mistimed runs. These aren't 19 year old kids anymore, they can elevate their game regardless of a coach and simply aren't. They are still young, but have played in way bigger matches than these last 2. The lack of form for guys that are in season is pretty scary....Berhalter or not. They have performed ok before under him so hopefully they will again. 6 weeks for some of these guys to get it rolling on their own if need be, nothing can be done about GB right now. It's just an odd year and run up to this cup.....FIFA really jacked this whole thing up.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Both players had the ball in space today and tried linking up, but they weren't sharp enough. Offsides, heavy touches, and mistimed runs. These aren't 19 year old kids anymore, they can elevate their game regardless of a coach and simply aren't. They are still young, but have played in way bigger matches than these last 2. The lack of form for guys that are in season is pretty scary....Berhalter or not. They have performed ok before under him so hopefully they will again. 6 weeks for some of these guys to get it rolling on their own if need be, nothing can be done about GB right now. It's just an odd year and run up to this cup.....FIFA really jacked this whole thing up.
Anyone suggesting something can be done about Berhalter right now is thinking in fantasyland. What I’m suggesting is that Berhalter himself needs to figure out how to get the best of his players before Wales. That’s his job. The entire program right now looks listless.

Last edited:

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Ream is interesting as well, but I don't see him getting the look now unless folks go down with an injury. Sargent in terms of finding the goal...I'm with you. I wouldn't argue that either, but we'll have to see what shakes out. With the WC right in the middle of their club seasons....you just have to wonder who will be healthy? The US has a decent midfield and wingers, but CB and a striker are just not there yet for the US. Ream, Carter Vickers.....or the 2 he marches out there. It was an odd warm up as it was in Europe with no fans and it was disjointed all the way around. Either way, appreciate the discussion. I'm going to tune out the rest.

This is part of the problem for me. You are saying the CB's aren't there yet, but we have yet to see Brooks, at all, or barely any CCV. It is hard to say they aren't there yet when you play the same two guys at CB and don't let anyone else in. Im probably am a bit of a Euro snob, but I find it telling that our two 29 year old CBs never got a sniff from European clubs. They just aren't that good. How can you say they are better than Brooks and CCV if Berhalter refuses to play either one. (it also lends credence to the conspiracy theory that there is a quota for MLS players)

As for striker, I do agree with you that we aren't quite there yet, however, in this camp, why not call up some of the guys who are actually scoring goals? Instead we get Ricardo Pepi. I have a hard time fathoming why you would call up a striker who hasn't scored in 345 days. It makes no sense and is a valid criticism of Berhalter. Sargent, who had a tough go of it for awhile has scored more goals, and is actually looking good at this moment. And Pefok to me, is the obvious answer here.

And finally, in Berhalters interview yesterday, there was no fire, no emotion, just platitudes.
I really hope he finds some fire and some urgency because this is it.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
This is part of the problem for me. You are saying the CB's aren't there yet, but we have yet to see Brooks, at all, or barely any CCV. It is hard to say they aren't there yet when you play the same two guys at CB and don't let anyone else in. Im probably am a bit of a Euro snob, but I find it telling that our two 29 year old CBs never got a sniff from European clubs. They just aren't that good. How can you say they are better than Brooks and CCV if Berhalter refuses to play either one. (it also lends credence to the conspiracy theory that there is a quota for MLS players)

As for striker, I do agree with you that we aren't quite there yet, however, in this camp, why not call up some of the guys who are actually scoring goals? Instead we get Ricardo Pepi. I have a hard time fathoming why you would call up a striker who hasn't scored in 345 days. It makes no sense and is a valid criticism of Berhalter. Sargent, who had a tough go of it for awhile has scored more goals, and is actually looking good at this moment. And Pefok to me, is the obvious answer here.

And finally, in Berhalters interview yesterday, there was no fire, no emotion, just platitudes.
I really hope he finds some fire and some urgency because this is it.

I don't do conspiracy theories. The only person stating anyone is better is you. You are saying the guys not on the field are crazy better because of geography. Brooks literally had to shop himself around to find a home,,,,you know that, right? Mind you some of us also do watch European soccer as well as past US matches. Brooks is an average CB, CCV is an average CB. Ream is an average CB. Zimmerman is an average CB. Long just 3-4 years ago was thought to be the brightest of the bunch prior to going down with injuries, but he too looked blah. If you think any combination of those players brings the US over the top.....pass me what your smoking. If you want to pretend CCV and Brooks are the keys to the kingdom, by all means...have at it. You're carrying on about Pepi in this window but the final decision has yet to be made. Nobody here is saying Pepi is the man and Pefok doesn't deserve a spot but Pepi doesn't meat that MLS criteria either....which I don't even care to get into. Pepi did nothing to secure his spot in this window and if anything he hurt his chances.

I honestly think you're more upset that your finding out the US is great smoke that was blown up the US fans arses by the US soccer media the last 3 years was an exaggeration and it was. It's an average squad when you compare it to the better Euro and S. American rosters. Is it a better squad than past American rosters...it sure is, but it's not on par with the best squads. Just be thankful we're in a very average group, pray that they wake up as a team because as much as GB's emotions in an interview mean something to you, it doesn't excuse the poor play on the actual pitch. I have more trouble with our best players missing easy passes and showing very little heart. That is on GB too for not firing them up and no matter the coach or country there will always be questionable call ups.

Our best players for the most part aren't playing much, are injured, or coming off of injuries outside of the Leeds duo. That is where we are at and I'm just hopeful they do get healthy and on the pitch so they can get into some type of form. Musah was having a good start this year prior to getting banged up. Pulisic isn't doing much. McKennie has spent quite some time coming back form his injury and looks shaky. Reyna just got back on the pitch in the last month. A Rob is hurt. Dest wasn't playing much with Barca and just moved clubs. Even if they all get super healthy and in form, that roster isn't a Belgium, Portugal, France, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina.......it's just not. The US has made progress, but it's not quite what some make it out to be. It's a bit pessimistic to say that, but it's also pretty reasonable. You can bite on that Berhalter apple all you need to...I'm just over it.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Nobody from Concacaf looked great this window, and we certainly looked the worst of them. That's a concerning thing considering that we did not have it easy in qualifying from our region.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I don't do conspiracy theories. The only person stating anyone is better is you. You are saying the guys not on the field are crazy better because of geography. Brooks literally had to shop himself around to find a home,,,,you know that, right? Mind you some of us also do watch European soccer as well as past US matches. Brooks is an average CB, CCV is an average CB. Ream is an average CB. Zimmerman is an average CB. Long just 3-4 years ago was thought to be the brightest of the bunch prior to going down with injuries, but he too looked blah. If you think any combination of those players brings the US over the top.....pass me what your smoking. If you want to pretend CCV and Brooks are the keys to the kingdom, by all means...have at it. You're carrying on about Pepi in this window but the final decision has yet to be made. Nobody here is saying Pepi is the man and Pefok doesn't deserve a spot but Pepi doesn't meat that MLS criteria either....which I don't even care to get into. Pepi did nothing to secure his spot in this window and if anything he hurt his chances.

I honestly think you're more upset that your finding out the US is great smoke that was blown up the US fans arses by the US soccer media the last 3 years was an exaggeration and it was. It's an average squad when you compare it to the better Euro and S. American rosters. Is it a better squad than past American rosters...it sure is, but it's not on par with the best squads. Just be thankful we're in a very average group, pray that they wake up as a team because as much as GB's emotions in an interview mean something to you, it doesn't excuse the poor play on the actual pitch. I have more trouble with our best players missing easy passes and showing very little heart. That is on GB too for not firing them up and no matter the coach or country there will always be questionable call ups.

Our best players for the most part aren't playing much, are injured, or coming off of injuries outside of the Leeds duo. That is where we are at and I'm just hopeful they do get healthy and on the pitch so they can get into some type of form. Musah was having a good start this year prior to getting banged up. Pulisic isn't doing much. McKennie has spent quite some time coming back form his injury and looks shaky. Reyna just got back on the pitch in the last month. A Rob is hurt. Dest wasn't playing much with Barca and just moved clubs. Even if they all get super healthy and in form, that roster isn't a Belgium, Portugal, France, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina.......it's just not. The US has made progress, but it's not quite what some make it out to be. It's a bit pessimistic to say that, but it's also pretty reasonable. You can bite on that Berhalter apple all you need to...I'm just over it.

1. The only person stating anyone is better is you. If Aaron Long or Walker Zimmerman were better, they would have been playing for more money in Europe. They aren't. The market has spoken. I think that is a very clear indication of how good they are. BTW, I was at a red bulls game just a few weeks ago, I watched Long closely....meh

2. CCV is an Average CB I honestly can't speak for Brooks, as I haven't watched him since he left Germany, but it is silly to say CCV is average. Celtic just ponied up a record fee to buy him from Tottenham and he is beloved by supporters. Fair to say Spurs sold him in the first place, but, there isn't any room for him there right now. Last CB I saw this good wearing the hoops was Virgil Van Djik. And again, let me state, we have no idea how good he would be on the US team because Berhalter refuses to play him.

3. If you want to pretend CCV and Brooks are the keys to the kingdom, by all means...have at it. What I am really saying, is that what we have out there now clearly isn't the the "keys to the kingdom" and why not give guys who undoubtably have a better pedigree a chance. It makes absolutely no sense NOT to give the other guys a shot if what you have isn't working.

4. I honestly think you're more upset that your finding out the US is great smoke that was blown up the US fans arses by the US soccer media I can't stand the US soccer media. They are NEVER critical of this team, they rarely have one bad word to say about Berhalter. Stuart Holden seemed to be squirming, not sure what to say with these performances. I am a realist and obviously know the limitations of our team and how far behind we are, I just HATE being held down even further by incompetence.

5. Pulisic isn't doing much This is sort of off topic, but, in defense of Puli here, Tuchel rarely played him in the actual position he should be playing in, and when he did, he generally played well. I was happy to see Tuchel get canned. Tuchel and GB had a lot in common. They aren't able to self reflect and change themselves.

6. That is on GB too for not firing them up This I agree 100% on. The one thing that we always had over European teams and the only reason we could stay in a game with better teams is hard work, and the belief that we could beat them even though we had no right to. That is the American way. GB is a limp dick.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
1. The only person stating anyone is better is you. If Aaron Long or Walker Zimmerman were better, they would have been playing for more money in Europe. They aren't. The market has spoken. I think that is a very clear indication of how good they are. BTW, I was at a red bulls game just a few weeks ago, I watched Long closely....meh

2. CCV is an Average CB I honestly can't speak for Brooks, as I haven't watched him since he left Germany, but it is silly to say CCV is average. Celtic just ponied up a record fee to buy him from Tottenham and he is beloved by supporters. Fair to say Spurs sold him in the first place, but, there isn't any room for him there right now. Last CB I saw this good wearing the hoops was Virgil Van Djik. And again, let me state, we have no idea how good he would be on the US team because Berhalter refuses to play him.

3. If you want to pretend CCV and Brooks are the keys to the kingdom, by all means...have at it. What I am really saying, is that what we have out there now clearly isn't the the "keys to the kingdom" and why not give guys who undoubtably have a better pedigree a chance. It makes absolutely no sense NOT to give the other guys a shot if what you have isn't working.

4. I honestly think you're more upset that your finding out the US is great smoke that was blown up the US fans arses by the US soccer media I can't stand the US soccer media. They are NEVER critical of this team, they rarely have one bad word to say about Berhalter. Stuart Holden seemed to be squirming, not sure what to say with these performances. I am a realist and obviously know the limitations of our team and how far behind we are, I just HATE being held down even further by incompetence.

5. Pulisic isn't doing much This is sort of off topic, but, in defense of Puli here, Tuchel rarely played him in the actual position he should be playing in, and when he did, he generally played well. I was happy to see Tuchel get canned. Tuchel and GB had a lot in common. They aren't able to self reflect and change themselves.

6. That is on GB too for not firing them up This I agree 100% on. The one thing that we always had over European teams and the only reason we could stay in a game with better teams is hard work, and the belief that we could beat them even though we had no right to. That is the American way. GB is a limp dick.
I get you're a CCV fan and a Celtic fan, but using the backup QB is the best because he had 5 stars sometimes is true, sometimes he's not. He's getting 6 million which is pretty modest for CB's in Europe...well as compared to the big 4 and the top teams in those leagues. Hell he could be starting CB as we don't know what will happen between now and then. Brooks we have seen for how many years with the US. His pace isn't anything special, but he's an ok back. We not hiding some super gems IMO, it's just not the case. You're mad because your coach isn't playing your guy.....and that's normal. I'd have ZERO beef if they marched him out there.

Last edited:

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I get you're a CCV fan and a Celtic fan, but using the backup QB is the best because he had 5 stars sometimes is true, sometimes he's not. He's getting 6 million which is pretty modest for CB's in Europe...well as compared to the big 4 and the top teams in those leagues. Hell he could be starting CB as we don't know what will happen between now and then. Brooks we have seen for how many years with the US. His pace isn't anything special, but he's an ok back. We not hiding some super gems IMO, it's just not the case. You're mad because your coach isn't playing your guy.....and that's normal.

Im also a Red Bulls supporter....sooooooooo

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Press press press. Always turn upfield and press. That’s the World Cup formula. This team has no identity, still wants to play the kindergarten midfield game of look how nice my lateral pass is and are caught standing on their heels way to often.

Pathetic.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Press press press. Always turn upfield and press. That’s the World Cup formula. This team has no identity, still wants to play the kindergarten midfield game of look how nice my lateral pass is and are caught standing on their heels way to often.

Pathetic.
And not just lateral passes, but those negative passes from the midfield just increase the pressure on our center backs to do things they’re not very good at…like attempt long balls (yes, pun intended, Aaron).

Reactions: GreggK and Tgar

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
And not just lateral passes, but those negative passes from the midfield just increase the pressure on our center backs to do things they’re not very good at…like attempt long balls (yes, pun intended, Aaron).
Scoring zero goals in round robin is a sure fire way to watch the rest of the tournament at home.

Reactions: GreggK

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
shhhhh, your not allowed to have any problems with anything that Berhalter does.
There is a difference between giving no criticism, and criticizing his choice of red Gatorade instead of green Gatorade last game (or blasting him for taking off Reyna when he’s hurt like it’s some huge mistake).

• Love
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

GreggK

May 25, 2022
There is a difference between giving no criticism, and criticizing his choice of red Gatorade instead of green Gatorade last game (or blasting him for taking off Reyna when he’s hurt like it’s some huge mistake).

Strawman arguments I see.

I criticized his system. I criticized his player selection. I criticized wasting an opportunity to see some new players at a time it is clear that it is needed. I criticized him for being completely inflexible.

It is valid to say I criticized him over the Reyna sub, HOWEVER, Berhalter said himself there wasn't an injury and USSF made a point of saying it wasn't a planned sub. So at the time, it seemed to be a completely legit criticism.

We were outplayed by Japan and Saudi Arabia and that is on Berhalter. It is his team and his system. Someone on here seems to think expecting us not to get outplayed by Japan and Saudi Arabia means that I don't understand this team is young or that our talent isn't that of England or Germany. WE SHOULD NEVER GET OUTPLAYED BY SAUDI ARABIA.

Choosing a striker who hasn't scored in almost a year over one who is is form for a top team, is moronic and indefensible.

If you want to pretend my problem is the color of the gatorade, go ahead.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Hey did you know Pepi hasn't scored in 347 days?

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
and pointing out that fact is somehow wrong?

His purpose is to score goals. Are you guys gaslighting me? WTF
LOL.

Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

GreggK

May 25, 2022
The funny thing there is that he actually has, but it's not like anyone noticed.

He scored his first goal in 345 days two weeks ago.

But totally agree with you guys. It shouldn't matter if our strikers score, so long as they play in the system.
and questioning that deserves ridicule.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Strawman arguments I see.

I criticized his system. I criticized his player selection. I criticized wasting an opportunity to see some new players at a time it is clear that it is needed. I criticized him for being completely inflexible.

It is valid to say I criticized him over the Reyna sub, HOWEVER, Berhalter said himself there wasn't an injury and USSF made a point of saying it wasn't a planned sub. So at the time, it seemed to be a completely legit criticism.

We were outplayed by Japan and Saudi Arabia and that is on Berhalter. It is his team and his system. Someone on here seems to think expecting us not to get outplayed by Japan and Saudi Arabia means that I don't understand this team is young or that our talent isn't that of England or Germany. WE SHOULD NEVER GET OUTPLAYED BY SAUDI ARABIA.

Choosing a striker who hasn't scored in almost a year over one who is is form for a top team, is moronic and indefensible.

If you want to pretend my problem is the color of the gatorade, go ahead.
You criticized him over making 3 subs at halftime again and again, even though its something he only did once, and it worked out very successfully. You criticized him for barely qualifying for the World Cup, even though we qualified relatively easily (while criticizing those who took issue with PSU barely beating Purdue or playing somewhat flat against CMU as being overly negative).

Heck, he puts out a lineup for a friendly where we're tinkering a bit looking to find our best options for depth by playing Acosta and moving Dest to the left to give Yedlin a run, and you have an issue with it. You assume that Reyna coming out must have been a horrible tactical decision rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt when it was reported as an injury.

I have no issues with criticism of Franklin or Gregg over some of their decisions...but it's brutal when someone can't see a single positive thing that they've done, are overly negative, and blast every single decision that they make whether it's big or small while giving zero credit for anything that they've accomplished.

Anyways, I've said my part on this, so I'll let it go and move along.

Last edited:

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
But totally agree with you guys. It shouldn't matter if our strikers score, so long as they play in the system.
and questioning that deserves ridicule.
"strawman arguments I see"

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.