USMNT Thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
U20 round of 16 versus New Zealand at 5pm tonight. US won the group and collected all 9 points.

GreggK

May 25, 2022

Watched the game last night and it was the best I have seen USA play, maybe ever. Was so glad to finally get out from under the Berhalter yoke and then of course, the news breaks and a dark cloud is over the team as far as I am concerned. When they announced the Gold cup team, I was thinking, why even have guys like Deandre Yedlin, Roldan and Ferreira in there. Now I know, this was Berhalters team. (being a little hyperbolic)

Luckily, Berhalter has four years to get fired, but with our luck, they will bring in Bruce Arena......

I was feeling good about where things were going when they cleaned house and the ole boys club seemed to have lost their grip. I was wrong on that of course and somehow we will find a way to mess this up.

Also, it was mentioned last night in the telecast, that USA couldn't hire a big name because they couldn't pay him without paying the woman's coach the same. The dude who said it seemed like he was throwing **** against the wall, but I pray he was wrong. If that is the reason we are bringing Berhalter back, because of equity, it is a travesty. Sorry, the USWNT just doesn't bring in the money the way the mens does, it is what it is. No one expects the pay to be the same in the WNBA as it is in the NBA.

Reactions: PS7680 and Tgar

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Also let me add, Mexican fans are trash once again.

FIFA needs to step up and do something about this. Start taking away world cup games from them one by one if they keep it up.
I felt really bad for Matt Turner because you could tell he was really pissed the ref was doing nothing about it.

Oh and one more thing, this ref was complete trash. No way McKennie should get a red. He lost complete control of the game. He tried to do the lets play both sides of this card. The fact is, the Mexican side was being their normal trashy selves trying to hurt the usa players and ruin their fun. There isn't two sides of that.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Also let me add, Mexican fans are trash once again.

FIFA needs to step up and do something about this. Start taking away world cup games from them one by one if they keep it up.
I felt really bad for Matt Turner because you could tell he was really pissed the ref was doing nothing about it.

Oh and one more thing, this ref was complete trash. No way McKennie should get a red. He lost complete control of the game. He tried to do the lets play both sides of this card. The fact is, the Mexican side was being their normal trashy selves trying to hurt the usa players and ruin their fun. There isn't two sides of that.
YES... ref totally lost control of game. However, it was clear Mexico was looking to get U.S. players riled up to get RED and miss final. It was classic baiting... no reason to take the bait when you are up 3 goals

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
US really dominated and you can see the gap in athleticism starting to really show now. Whether it is was Captain America on the left or Weah on the right they had no answers for the pace. It looked like if you played that game 10 times the US would win all 10 times. Great showing minus all of the BS at the end. It was interesting to see too that it seems Greg B will be back.....which is what the players who actually all play in Europe now under top flight coaches want.....but hey the guys yelling on a message board/twitter probably know more. They all coached and played at the highest of levels.

Last edited:

GreggK

May 25, 2022
YES... ref totally lost control of game. However, it was clear Mexico was looking to get U.S. players riled up to get RED and miss final. It was classic baiting... no reason to take the bait when you are up 3 goals

I think that applies to Dest, who definitely took the bait, but Mckennie did nothing wrong. He was surrounded by the Mexican team and was trying to push them off. He had his shirt ripped off of him by the mexican players, I can't blame him for pushing them off.

Reactions: Shoresy

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Sure it's just the 2 on record.....you would think that.

You know who is really excited about this? Kellyn Acosta, Jesus Ferreira, Deandre Yedlin, Walker Zimmerman, Christian Roldan, and Jordan Morris. Who knows, maybe Demarcus Beasley can be brought back into the fray.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
You know who is really excited about this? Kellyn Acosta, Jesus Ferreira, Deandre Yedlin, Walker Zimmerman, Christian Roldan, and Jordan Morris. Who knows, maybe Demarcus Beasley can be brought back into the fray.
Right Mr. Dunning Kruger as you have the pulse of that locker room/team and that Captain doesn't. Pulisic, McKennie, Adams....and most of the ones that grew up playing together at the lower levels never talk, but the crazy fanatic on US Soccer Twitter feeds has the feel for it all. Your total lack of self awareness is awesome to watch.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Right Mr. Dunning Kruger as you have the pulse of that lockerroom and that Captain doesn't. LOL, I love when people double down and their bad takes.

I would wager that 95% of USA fans are disappointed by this. The pundits are confused. The messageboards are confused. Fair enough, Puli is happy, but it isn't like I am the only one disappointed here. And dude, bad take? The guy sucks.

I hope Balogun can still go back to England once if finds out he doesn't fit Berhalters "system"

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I would wager that 95% of USA fans are disappointed by this. The pundits are confused. The messageboards are confused. Fair enough, Puli is happy, but it isn't like I am the only one disappointed here. And dude, bad take? The guy sucks.

I hope Balogun can still go back to England once if finds out he doesn't fit Berhalters "system"
Oh the US fans clearly know better as most played at the highest levels and had some of the best coaches in the world coach them. They have played with the bigger clubs. Ah yes...Balogun will be cut if GB comes back....another hot take by Dunning Kruger.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Oh the US fans clearly know better as most played at the highest levels and had some of the best coaches in the world coach them. They have played with the bigger clubs. Ah yes...Balogun will be cut if GB comes back....another hot take by Dunning Kruger.

I have been watching this team for 30 years, sorry to break it to you, but just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. . I am sure Puli personally likes him but I am looking for results. The team is dreadful to watch with Berhalter is in charge. It is no surprise to me how great they looked when he wasn't in charge. It is EXACTLY what I predicted.

Also, name for me one time a retread did well for us. I can't think of any.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I have been watching this team for 30 years, sorry to break it to you, but just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. . I am sure Puli personally likes him but I am looking for results. The team is dreadful to watch with Berhalter is in charge. It is no surprise to me how great they looked when he wasn't in charge. It is EXACTLY what I predicted.
So have I for 30+ years and GB has been one of the more successful US coaches if you're being honest during that stretch. Win totals and percentage, trophies, getting out of the group stage of his first WC. The US is now 6 straight unbeaten versus Mexico and who started that train? Mexico has nobody young and are weening off their older stars so your prediction last night was genius. No Chuckie Lazano, Herrera, and a host of other main players in the Mexican roster for years. It's not that you disagree with me, it's your emphatic BS on your takes that is annoying. The US failed to qualify for the WC before last....he got them out of the group stage. The US won multiple trophies the summer before last...with A and B squads. It's total lack of objectivity that makes your recycled Twitter takes suck. Later Dunning Kruger....go back to Twitter and get your next hot take.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
I think that applies to Dest, who definitely took the bait, but Mckennie did nothing wrong. He was surrounded by the Mexican team and was trying to push them off. He had his shirt ripped off of him by the mexican players, I can't blame him for pushing them off.
McK could have simply turned his back and walked away... then he started playing up to the crowd, i hate that look personally. His loss will be felt against Canada. However, removing the silliness from the discussion, the team's offensive push was as good as I have seen. I am not a super smart soccer fan but I can tell when the game plan is being executed well.

Reactions: GreggK

GreggK

May 25, 2022
So have I for 30+ years and GB has been one of the more successful US coaches if you're being honest during that stretch. Win totals and percentage, trophies, getting out of the group stage of his first WC. The US is now 6 straight unbeaten versus Mexico and who started that train? Mexico has nobody young and are weening off their older stars so your prediction last night was genius. No Chuckie Lazano, Herrera, and a host of other main players in the Mexican roster for years. It's not that you disagree with me, it's your emphatic BS on your takes that is annoying. The US failed to qualify for the WC before last....he got them out of the group stage. The US won multiple trophies the summer before last...with A and B squads. It's total lack of objectivity that makes your recycled Twitter takes suck. Later Dunning Kruger....go back to Twitter and get your next hot take.

So Hercules Gomez, who pretty much agrees with me is also less knowledgeable than you apparently.
Who is the person who thinks they know more than they do again?

Also, your silly attacks because I disagree with you are a bad look.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
So Hercules Gomez, who pretty much agrees with me is also less knowledgeable than you apparently.
Got it.
No, I have self awareness. I also know that opinions vary. Good try though. Lalas said GB should be back....oh well....and I don't agree with him more than half of the time. Managed hot takes for TV/social media can sway people apparently. What I've said all along is some US fans are delusional and think some magical coach is taking this squad to the WC finals. That magical coach won't have a "system" and nobody will ever question his rosters or starting 11. That is the fantasy you want to live in....keep going. GB was brought in to win in Concacaf and he has. He was brought in to not miss the WC and they didn't.

If you want to think the US failed in the last WC....run with it. Reality is the US still doesn't possess a world class roster as compared to the best in S. America or Europe. They don't. They are better off from where they were 2-3 decades ago...sure, but nobody from the US has taken over any of the top leagues in Europe. If you want to maintain this fantasy that the US is just the right coach away from global dominace...by all means. I'll just go back to ignoring you.

Last edited:

GreggK

May 25, 2022
No, I have self awareness. I also know that opinions vary. Good try though. Lalas said GB should be back....oh well....and I don't agree with him more than half of the time. What I've said all along is some US fans are delusional and think some magical coach is taking this squad to the WC finals. That magical coach won't have a "system" and nobody will ever question his rosters or starting 11. That is the fantasy you want to live in....keep going.

Whoever said I thought there was a "magical" coach that would take us to the finals. I don't.
What I want is someone who understands this is a national team and not a club team and adjusts his tactics accordingly.
It has been my thought that his tactics have made this team underachieve and I honestly believe last nights performance is proof.

That is my opinion. If you want to shout me down every time I have an opinion you disagree with, its your prerogative. It is also a bad look.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
is there a channel broadcasting this with English announcers?
I’m watching on the paramount app, but I guess it would be CBS sports? Not sure it’s worth it, somehow one of the dudes found a way to use the term twinkletoes 4 times in a minutes.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Streaming on Paramount plus.

Yeah, after I asked the question, I looked up the options. It's Paramount+ or Univision (in Spanish). I don't subscribe to Paramount+, so I guess I'm stuck with either muting the audio or listening to a bunch of play-by-play that I can't understand.

:mad:

• Haha
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, after I asked the question, I looked up the options. It's Paramount+ or Univision (in Spanish). I don't subscribe to Paramount+, so I guess I'm stuck with either muting the audio or listening to a bunch of play-by-play that I can't understand.

I have it free with Walmart+.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

It seems shortsighted to me that US Soccer would rather make more money and limit viewership than to build access to the team to the common rabble like me.

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021

Damn I wish I had thought about checking Univision.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
It seems shortsighted to me that US Soccer would rather make more money and limit viewership than to build access to the team to the common rabble like me.

Not US Soccer's fault in this case - CONCACAF controls and sells the rights to the Nations League semi-finals and finals. (The group stage games are controlled by the individual countries to sell.) Similar the Gold Cup games are also sold by CONCACAF, ironically to a different network (FOX owns those rights and puts the games on linear channels).

That being said, you absolutely can blame US Soccer for the "general" USMNT rights which they sold to Warner Bros/Discovery and who will put friendlies on MAX instead of TNT/TBS.

Reactions: Woodpecker

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Latest posts