USMNT Thread

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
US takes Match on penalty kicks after almost blowing this game. Matt Turner stopped the first two Canadian PKs and the final Canadian PK hit the crossbar and bounced away. Now vs Panama Wednesday at 7 in the semifinal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alphabets

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
US takes March on penalty kicks after almost blowing this game. Matt Turner stopped the first two Canadian PKs and the final Canadian PK hit the crossbar and bounced away. Now vs Panama Wednesday at 7 in the semifinal.
That was a fantastic game.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Not something you see too often, but it occurred in the USA - Canada match. AR's are vulnerable in these situations, as they don't have a lot of flexibility as to where they can stand, as they are responsible for offsides and balls out of bounds.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Awesome match!

USA scores in the 88th minute
Canada ties it in the 93rd minute
Canada scores in the 109th minute
USA ties it in the 114th minute

That's way more drama at the end of the match (not including the PKs) than usually happens.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Vasquez airmailed his PK, which potentially could have ended the match sooner due to Turner’s heroics on Canada’s first PK

Srg111

Nov 25, 2021
USA scores in the 88th minute
Canada ties it in the 93rd minute
Canada scores in the 109th minute
USA ties it in the 114th minute

That's way more drama at the end of the match (not including the PKs) than usually happens.
Drama yes. High quality play? Well...maybe not. Both teams were missing their best players.
Vasquez airmailed his PK, which potentially could have ended the match sooner due to Turner’s heroics on Canada’s first PK

Yes, but Vasquez was one of the best players for the U.S. Regardless, his PK was awful.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Claudio and Danielle Reyna were very out of line with their actions. And Gio Reyna acted like a spoiled child leading up to the World Cup. But I wish Gregg Berhalter didn't feel the need to publicly discuss how he hopes to handle the situation with Gio moving forward.

Reactions: GreggK

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Claudio and Danielle Reyna were very out of line with their actions. And Gio Reyna acted like a spoiled child leading up to the World Cup. But I wish Gregg Berhalter didn't feel the need to publicly discuss how he hopes to handle the situation with Gio moving forward.

It sort of goes to show why we shouldn't have brought him back.
He just can't keep his mouth shut about this.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

Vanity F'n Fair!?!?! He's spouting this off to Vanity Fair?!?!? Yes, the Reynas acted like children. At this point, Berhalter is acting like a petulant little child as well. Anything that he has to say about the situation should only be said to the players and the admin tree above him. Piss poor move on his part.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Vanity F'n Fair!?!?! He's spouting this off to Vanity Fair?!?!? Yes, the Reynas acted like children. At this point, Berhalter is acting like a petulant little child as well. Anything that he has to say about the situation should only be said to the players and the admin tree above him. Piss poor move on his part.

it is mind blowing that he has yet to pick up the phone and call Gio yet. An absolutely pivotal player and you don’t talk to him yet.

Berhalter is a clown.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
it is mind blowing that he has yet to pick up the phone and call Gio yet. An absolutely pivotal player and you don’t talk to him yet.

Berhalter is a clown.
Honestly, I did not click and read the article. The headline made me mad enough as it is and it’s already been a hellish week at work so I’m just trying to focus on sucking my thumb and crying myself to sleep. Berhalter should do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreggK

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Aaronson skips in a free kick at 60’

Last edited by a moderator:

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
A bit better effort last night than they showed over the weekend. I appreciated seeing Tillman get the start—I'm hoping he develops into Option B whenever Gio is unavailable (which, unfortunately, is proving to be often). He still has a lot of progress to be made, but he shows ability getting forward in the attack from the mid. A knock against him is that he can often disappear in stretches of a game, so consistency in being an influence will be an area of growth for him. Hopefully, PSV will be the right place for that.

In regards to Berhalter, it is what it is. A number of players seem to like him. I hope he moves beyond the (over)reliance on certain individuals from the previous cycle who have demonstrated again and again that they do not offer much at the international level. I think we have enough depth to move on to younger guys at this point and allow them to grow.

I never addressed this at the time due to a post responding to one of mine that came across as quite patronizing (so, I just decided to let it go), but while I would have preferred a new manager with fresh ideas in a new cycle, I am somewhat happy US Soccer did not go with Jesse Marsch. I hope he finds a good job soon because he needs to continue to grow as a coach, but the way he likes his players to play and the way he coaches them fits the club level far better than the international level. At this point in his career, he's the type of manager who needs to be coaching his players on a daily basis rather than a handful of camps in a year in order to successfully implement the things he teaches.

We shall see what happens with the player pool moving forward and the games against Germany and Ghana should offer more data points for us than this past window.

Last edited:

GreggK

May 25, 2022
A bit better effort last night than they showed over the weekend. I appreciated seeing Tillman get the start—I'm hoping he develops into Option B whenever Gio is unavailable (which, unfortunately, is proving to be often). He still has a lot of progress to be made, but he shows ability getting forward in the attack from the mid. A knock against him is that he can often disappear in stretches of a game, so consistency in being an influence will be an area of growth for him. Hopefully, PSV will be the right place for that.

In regards to Berhalter, it is what it is. A number of players seem to like him. I hope he moves beyond the (over)reliance on certain individuals from the previous cycle who have demonstrated again and again that they do not offer much at the international level. I think we have enough depth to move on to younger guys at this point and allow them to grow.

I never addressed this at the time due to a post responding to one of mine that came across as quite patronizing (so, I just decided to let it go), but while I would have preferred a new manager with fresh ideas in a new cycle, I am somewhat happy US Soccer did not go with Jesse Marsch. I hope he finds a good job soon because he needs to continue to grow as a coach, but the way he likes his players to play and the way he coaches them fits the club level far better than the international level. At this point in his career, he's the type of manager who needs to be coaching his players on a daily basis rather than a handful of camps in a year in order to successfully implement the things he teaches.

We shall see what happens with the player pool moving forward and the games against Germany and Ghana should offer more data points for us than this past window.

I was a big advocate for Marsch, mainly because he wasn't Berhalter, but, i do think it is a good idea to have someone from outside. And also someone who isn't wed to a system that is rigid in a way that you need to have particular kinds of players in certain spots.

I think a national team manager needs to be a little more open to adapting his approach to the players he has rather than pick lesser players to fit his approach. It has been my problem with Berhalter all along. The results were ok I guess, but the play just felt boring and stale. We won because we should have won but we didn't win in the way we should have won. My opinion.

That being said, I am happy with the team he picked for these games. Except I see no point in bringing Tim Ream in, its just completely silly. But other than that, there wasn't the typical Berhalter crutches.

I am interested to see how he mends the relationship with Gio. And despite the situation, however bad it may have gotten, as the national team coach, it is on him to make the moves necessary to work this out and if he doesn't, then he shouldn't be the coach.

Reactions: Pharcyded

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Couple things from last night. Horvath is so much more at ease with the ball at his feet than Turner, but Turner is the better shot stopper. He was fluid with both feet and actually made it easier on the backs to work it out of the back. The team played well and we got to see the good McKennie versus the average one, but you never know with him anymore. Pepi's turn and shot were great to see. Really nice couple of one touch layoffs to Dest from Weah. Could have been 5 or 6 nil pretty easily. I have more faith in the CB's now than I did 4 years ago as there is actually a bit of depth starting to take place there.

As far as GB being back....he shouldn't have had any of that 20 year old crap come up in the first place with the Reyna's. It was low brow and every halfway decent national team has questionable call ups. Hopefully people can let it go and I'm sure the how to handle Gio discussions came up during the search. It may be awkward for both until the first game Gio is back and they will move on. Gio will be a key player for the next 8 or so years so hopefully they squash this on the next break...assuming he is fit again.

The system and call up buzz words thrown around by some USMNT fans is tiring at times as well as overplayed, but the bottom line is the US is still a work in progress. While we have more players in decent clubs across the world we still lack the true elite players who can dominate or change a game. A good solid young core is there for a while now that seem to enjoy playing for the US and each other. I'll enjoy the ride and see where it goes.

Last edited:

Pharcyded

Dec 17, 2022
Although Lund looked a little out of sync with Pulisic, I thought he showed some solid play as well. He adds quality depth with A Robinson. The days of Shaw Moore and Reggie Cannon on the team, are probably over for major competitions.

I also liked Tillman at spots during the game. I believe that’s the first time I’ve seen him with extended minutes with so many of the MNT starters. The other young ones look good as well.