Uvalde School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Libs do not care about the number of deaths ............ they only care about the ones contrary to their ideology
That was evidenced after the Las Vegas shooting, in which a friend of mine was shot and seriously injured while trying to save someone else’s life.

Several prominent liberal anti-Trump people made statements to the effect of not being too concerned about it because country concerts are mostly conservative and pro-gun. And Chelsea Handler kept her job after that, so her bosses obviously didn’t have a problem with it.

Last edited:

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
That was evidenced after the Las Vegas shooting, in which a friend of mine was shot and seriously injured while trying to save someone else’s life.

Several prominent liberal anti-Trump people made statements to the effect of not being too concerned about it because country concerts are mostly conservative and pro-gun.
Democrats did call for stricter gun laws after the Las Vegas shooting.

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017
And yet he obtained the guns legally and virtually every mass shooting has been perpetrated by someone using a legally obtained gun. I'm not opposed to fences, scanners and armed guards as an added measure of protection. But it is better to get to the source of the problem, which is the gun. Scanners and armed guards won't help on playgrounds or field trips. Are we going to have scanners and armed guards everywhere? Shopping malls? Grocery stores? Restaurants? Seems more practical to get rid of high capacity weapons.
We already have armed security guards at:

Banks
Jewelry Stores
Coin Shops
The Diamond Mart

Why NOT protect our children, and CHANGE Schools and ALL other “Gun Free Zones”?

Allowing either armed guards and or, those who desire to CCW?

And is why…. MANY individuals have (are legally able to have) CCW permits, carry EVERY day of their lives…

Do you want to be this person on the NY subway?!? (Below video from this past week).

NO cops.

NO ONE does ANYTHING ELSE… other than, records the EVIL events.

WATCH THIS VIDEO and tell me this if (in this situation) you FEAR for your LIFE.🤔

Our “justice” system is also part of the problem.

This perp NEEDS to be CHARGED, PROSECUTED, and receive a sentence, which the perp is punished to the FULL extent of our laws.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
We already have armed security guards at:

Banks
Jewelry Stores
Coin Shops
The Diamond Mart

Why NOT protect our children, and CHANGE Schools and ALL other “Gun Free Zones”?

Allowing either armed guards and or, those who desire to CCW?

And is why…. MANY individuals have (are legally able to have) CCW permits, carry EVERY day of their lives…

Do you want to be this person on the NY subway?!? (Below video from this past week).

NO cops.

NO ONE does ANYTHING ELSE… other than, records the EVIL events.

WATCH THIS VIDEO and tell me this if (in this situation) you FEAR for your LIFE.🤔

This perp NEEDS to be CHARGED, PROSECUTED, and receive a sentence, which the perp is punished to the FULL extent of our laws.

Pretty sad reflection of that society, where everyone dont so ****..

Did that guy ever get arrested?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

I watched this earlier in the week and was disgusted. BTW, why no charges for a hate crime? He's black, she's a white female.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Meanwhile in CA, which some posters think is so advanced in it's thinking....

What is SB 1273?

(1) Existing law provides that any person who willfully disturbs any public school or any public school meeting is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of not more than $500. This bill would exempt pupils who are currently enrolled in the school district from that provision.

(2) Under existing law, whenever any employee of a school district or county superintendent of schools is attacked, assaulted, or physically threatened by any pupil, the employee and any person under whose direction or supervision the employee is employed who has knowledge of the incident are required to promptly report the incident to specified law enforcement authorities. Failure to make the report is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000. An act by specified persons to inhibit or impede the making of the report is an infraction punishable by a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000. This bill would repeal those provisions.

(3) The federal Gun-Free Schools Act prohibits a local educational agency from receiving certain federal funds unless the local educational agency has a policy requiring referral to the criminal justice or juvenile delinquency system of any student who brings a firearm or weapon to a school served by the local educational agency. Existing state law requires the principal of a school or the principal's designee to notify the appropriate law enforcement authorities of the county or city in which the school is situated of certain acts committed by a pupil that may be unlawful, including, among others, the selling or possession of narcotics or other designated controlled or regulated substances, and acts of assault, as specified.

This bill would delete the acts referenced above from the category of acts for which the principal or the principal's designee is required to notify the appropriate law enforcement authorities, as described above. The bill would also exclude from this notification requirement a violation involving certain instruments, such as an instrument that expels metallic projectiles, a spot marker gun, a razor blade, or a box cutter. The bill would only require notification where notification would be consistent with the above-described referral requirement under the federal Gun-Free Schools Act. The bill would also make related conforming changes.

So, to summarize, schools would no longer be required to report a student who willfully disturbs the school or school meeting in the district for which they are enrolled, students who attack/assault/physically threaten an employee of their district would no longer be mandatorily reported to law enforcement, and if a student brings a firearm or weapon to school or sells/possesses narcotics, the principal would no longer be required to notify law enforcement...it would be left up to the principal.

This is what CA politicians voted for today....TODAY. And we are supposed to believe they care about students? What an effing joke.

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
I would add poverty, a lack of purpose, violent role modeling, and a society that is becoming permanently dependent on a corrupt government for everything.

Abortion is birth control. Military and vets are mere fodder for political elites. Prosecutors don't prosecute. Illegals have better access to $$ and support than citizens. Kids were basically locked up for 2.5 years and are killing themselves but fentanyl still floods in through the border. Patients with covid were sent to retirement homes. Welfare rewards single parenthood. Me-first parents think they can have it all.

But yeah...guns.🙄
In fact, whites are the biggest beneficiaries when it comes to government safety-net programs like the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, commonly referred to as welfare.
White people without a college degree ages 18 to 64 are the largest class of adults lifted out of poverty by such programs, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. The think tank's 2017 report stated that 6.2 million working-age whites were lifted above the poverty line in 2014 compared to 2.8 million blacks and 2.4 million Hispanics.

When it comes the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP—the initiative formerly known as food stamps—the numbers look similar.

Just over 40 percent of SNAP recipients are white. Another 25.7 percent are black, 10.3 percent are Hispanic, 2.1 percent are Asian and 1.2 percent are Native American, according to a 2015 Department of Agriculture report.

The truth: Black fathers are moreinvolved​

We can not equate the number of unmarried dads to the number of “fatherless” children. First of all, marriage rates don’t necessarily reflect the number of Black fathers living with their children; as writer Josh Levs points out, the majority of Black dads (2.5 million of around 4.2 million) do live with their kids, even if they’re not married to their partner.

And second of all, according to a 2013 report by the CDC, Black dads—whether they live with their children, or not—are more actively involved in their children’s lives than their counterparts of other races.

Mothers' reports echo fathers'​

Lest we believe that these statistics are skewed by the fathers’ own self-reporting, other studies based on maternal reports echo these findings. In a 2008 survey of low-income mothers, researchers found that “nonresident white fathers were less involved with their children than African-American and Latino fathers.” In a 2018 study of “nonmarital” births, mothers reported that Black fathers “shared responsibilities more frequently and displayed more effective coparenting than Hispanic and White fathers.”

"There are several ways corporations get rich on the taxpayer's dime. The most obvious comes through subsidies or tax breaks for certain businesses or industries.

Consider the fossil fuel industry, one of the most profitable and privileged sectors of the economy. Every year, oil companies get to deduct millions of dollars from their tax bills for the cost of new wells, oil exploration, and other drilling and mining expenses.

It's been estimated that repealing these special tax breaks would save taxpayers $39 billion over 10 years.

Other examples of corporate welfare include billions in government subsidies for agricultural conglomerates, pharmaceutical makers, tech giants, and defense contractors.

Other industries don't get these benefits. Meanwhile, most families don't even benefit from tax credits and deductions for child care.

State and local governments are also handing out corporate welfare, often with no strings attached. In 2013, for example, the state of Washington approved a record $8.7 billion handout to Boeing in order “to maintain and grow its workforce within the state.“ What did Boeing do? In the following years, it laid off more than 12,000 workers in the state.

State and local tax breaks for corporations are estimated to cost local schools almost $2 billion a year in lost tax revenue.

It's argued they create jobs, yet nationwide, not a single new job is created. At most, the jobs are merely moved from state to state.

How do corporations get this corporate welfare? Follow the money. They spend hundreds of millions on lobbying and campaign contributions.

An even more insidious example of corporate welfare occurs when corporations don't pay their workers a living wage. As a result, those workers often have to rely on programs like Medicaid, public housing, food stamps, and other safety nets.

Which means you and I and other taxpayers end up subsidizing these low wages so those corporations can enjoy even higher profits for their executives and wealthy investors."

Last edited:
Reactions: SonofGodzilla

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
I'm not opposed to fences, scanners and armed guards as an added measure of protection. But it is better to get to the source of the problem, which is the gun.

And yet, without the shooter, the gun just sits there. The problem is with the shooter.

Scanners and armed guards won't help on playgrounds or field trips. Are we going to have scanners and armed guards everywhere? Shopping malls? Grocery stores? Restaurants? Seems more practical to get rid of high capacity weapons.

Since mass shooters routinely select their target locations based on the liklihood of facing resistance, a better solution would be to make it easier for the public to carry weapons. To defend themselves, in other words. Statistically speaking, too, the one thing that's proven effective at reducing the severity of mass shootings is someone in the target group with a gun. As it turns out, even crazy mass shooters hate being shot at.

Oh, and your position is the opposite of conservative.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
There are claims on this site that the GOP does not care about the killings. That is a ridiculous proposition and assertion. Look at this latest mass shootings. There were so many failures in the system it is hard to count. This is not an excuse but a fact. Apparently, the background check was not thorough enough. If it was this guy would have stood out like sore thumb. Every time an incident occurs like this the left goes into a rage and starts to point fingers. That is their MO. They conveniently ignore the daily slaughter with guns in our inner cities which far surpass all of the mass shootings put together.

We do not enforce our own laws. We do not prosecute those who have lied about their background checks. I have a sense that the present background checks are nowhere near the ones for the lowest level of military security clearance background checks. The solution is not to get rid of guns. Criminals as we have seen do not care. This massacre is a rarity in TX. If you look at the other mass shootings they have been mostly in states with the most restrictive gun laws. How does one explain this? We can point fingers and play the blame game but we continue to look the other way with the majority of gun incidents and only pay attention to mass shootings. The key here is higher scrutiny with our law enforcement agencies, reducing ingress to our schools with at having choke points, locking the doors when school is in session, enforcing our existing laws and removing their vagaries, prosecuting criminals more severely, beefing up our mental facilities and access to them. Keep in mind that if a person has the will to kill there is not much that can stop them.

Last edited:

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017

We can not equate the number of unmarried dads to the number of “fatherless” children. First of all, marriage rates don’t necessarily reflect the number of Black fathers living with their children; as writer Josh Levs points out, the majority of Black dads (2.5 million of around 4.2 million) do live with their kids, even if they’re not married to their partner.

And second of all, according to a 2013 report by the CDC, Black dads—whether they live with their children, or not—are more actively involved in their children’s lives than their counterparts of other races.

Mothers' reports echo fathers'​

Lest we believe that these statistics are skewed by the fathers’ own self-reporting, other studies based on maternal reports echo these findings. In a 2008 survey of low-income mothers, researchers found that “nonresident white fathers were less involved with their children than African-American and Latino fathers.” In a 2018 study of “nonmarital” births, mothers reported that Black fathers “shared responsibilities more frequently and displayed more effective coparenting than Hispanic and White fathers.”
I work in a school with predominantly African American students. I'll admit I prejudged the fathers because most of the kids do not live in traditional two-parent homes. I was blown away the first time I went to the boys' 5th grade basketball game and saw all the fathers that had shown up. They were excited, cheering and involved. Lesson learned --- don't assume that just because they aren't married that they don't have a role in their kids' lives.

Reactions: STRECKERmemo

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
What part of metal detectors is so scary? If I’m not mistaken they have scanners at supermarkets, department stores, and all gov buildings. It is even likely that kids are already being screened and don’t even realize it.

A real discussion should discount the drama for real facts. Why do guards need to be armed with lethal weapons?

I didn’t have to pass through a metal detector when I was 8, nor did you, I am guessing. Why should schools need any guards?

Your thinking is convoluted , IMO.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Can anyone note a single incident when a home protection needed more than 6 or 8 shots other than a drug deal.
We can spend billions on metal detectors and security guards so how will that protect a shooter at a ayso game.

Why all the analysis. The republican plan has been in place since 2004 with the ending of the assault weapon ban. All measures are worse. Its been an epic failure and every year is worse. Time for the Republicans to step aside and let the democrats fix their mess .

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
I work in a school with predominantly African American students. I'll admit I prejudged the fathers because most of the kids do not live in traditional two-parent homes. I was blown away the first time I went to the boys' 5th grade basketball game and saw all the fathers that had shown up. They were excited, cheering and involved. Lesson learned --- don't assume that just because they aren't married that they don't have a role in their kids' lives.
Cheering at a basketball game falls a bit short of tucking them in at night after helping them with their reading and math homework.

Reactions: aimeedee

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
I didn’t have to pass through a metal detector when I was 8, nor did you, I am guessing. Why should schools need any guards?

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s a different world out there these days 🙄

Beaver Cleaver now carries a knife in his backpack after getting his azz kicked every day after school by Wally….Mister Rogers fondles kids…..and Marcia Brady sells cartel cocaine in the girl’s bathroom.

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Can anyone note a single incident when a home protection needed more than 6 or 8 shots other than a drug deal.

What a simpleton….of course there are examples.

For note, in 2019, U.S. Federal District Court Judge Benitez struck down the California 10-rd. magazine limit as UNCONSTITUTIONAL. In his ruling, he cited several cases where people “ran out of bullets” while defending themselves. He railed at the idea of citizens having to skirt the law to defend themselves against attacks. The opinion was subsequently appealed by court politics, but has since become known as Freedom Week.

You really want to play Dirty Harry’s game…..”How many bullets you got left?”……when defending your family?

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017
There are claims on this site that the GOP does not care about the killings. That is a ridiculous proposition and assertion. Look at this latest mass shootings. There were so many failures in the system it is hard to count. This is not an excuse but a fact. Apparently, the background check was not thorough enough. If it was this guy would have stood out like sore thumb. Every time an incident occurs like this the left goes into a rage and starts to point fingers. That is their MO. They conveniently ignore the daily slaughter with guns in our inner cities which far surpass all of the mass shootings put together.

We do not enforce our own laws. We do not prosecute those who have lied about their background checks. I have a sense that the present background checks are nowhere near the ones for the lowest level of military security clearance background checks. The solution is not to get rid of guns. Criminals as we have seen do not care. This massacre is a rarity in TX. If you look at the other mass shootings they have been mostly in states with the most restrictive gun laws. How does one explain this? We can point fingers and play the blame game but we continue to look the other way with the majority of gun incidents and only pay attention to mass shootings. The key here is higher scrutiny with our law enforcement agencies, reducing ingress to our schools with at having choke points, locking the doors when school is in session, enforcing our existing laws and removing their vagaries, prosecuting criminals more severely, beefing up our mental facilities and access to them. Keep in mind that if a person has the will to kill there is not much that can stop them.

Agree, we do not enforce our laws.

Weapons purchases that go (NOT ALL transactions go through a background check) through a DOJ background check, a 10 day wait (from purchase) to pick up, are very detailed.

1) Once, I’ve heard of an applicant being denied, confused with someone else. (with the same first and last name)

2) More frequently, when an individual turns 18 years old, (in my opinion) far too MANY violent minors, have their juvenile record sealed, allowing them to “move forward” with their life and passing background checks. This could have been the case with the Uvalde, TX shooter.

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017
We can spend billions on metal detectors and security guards so how will that protect a shooter at a ayso game.

Why all the analysis. The republican plan has been in place since 2004 with the ending of the assault weapon ban. All measures are worse. Its been an epic failure and every year is worse. Time for the Republicans to step aside and let the democrats fix their mess .
Hey xuscx…

try using Google, your answer is a mouse click away, and be surprised the number of incident. (shoot more than 8 rounds)

FYI: Your democrats have had control of the Executive, and BOTH houses of the legislature branches. (between 2009 and 2011) Democrats did control the White House and Congress during those years. NEWS FLASH: Your politicians DO NOT FIX ANYTHING, (republican or democrat) or they‘d ALL be out of a job.

Government and politicians are great at creating a problem, then telling us “if only, we had more money and more time to fix your problems.” joe biden, mitch mcconnell, maxine waters are lifer’s of “public service” ALL have become worth over 100 MILLION millionaires from ”public service” They ALL ARE IN IT, FOR THE MONEY AND POWER.

Government can barely run a strong military. IT TOOK 20 YEARS OF WAR, TO BEAT UP A COUNTRY, OF GOAT HERDERS, and 13 Marines died last year, because OUR government couldn’t implement a planned withdrawal.

The US Post Office, IRS, Dept of Education, and GSA, (are just a short list of a much longer list) ALL examples of government FAILURE.

Convince me I’m wrong.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Cheering at a basketball game falls a bit short of tucking them in at night after helping them with their reading and math homework.
Fair point, but you have to admit it is an improvement over when you coached football in the seventies and it was just moms showing up. ;-)

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
I don’t know if anyone knows this but Sandy Hook was not that shooters primarily target; the primary target had a security vehicle parked in front which hadn’t been seen there before, so the shooter chose another school.
And the school had a security system that didn't allow entry until the visitor had been visually confirmed and buzzed in, yet he shot the glass panel next to the lock to gain entry. Guns have a way of getting around locked doors. I'm all for slowing down a killer any way possible. And if security guards and single entries are going to help with that, I'm all for it. But, unless every window and door in every school is replaced with bullet proof material, as you all have noted, a bad guy will find a way. Security guy at the front entrance? OK, so he goes around back and shoots through a window. The type of weapon makes a difference.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

When I was six:
Kids practiced “duck and cover” in schools
People smoked on airplanes and in hospitals
People didn’t use seatbelts in cars and helmets on bikes
Things change. Why do metal detectors (which are already in use in many places) make you so upset? Why is school policing a concept that bothers you so? Some cities who already have school police departments: LA, Santa Ana, San Bernardino…

and somehow I’m convoluted?

Last edited:

Wolfpack4SC

May 31, 2019
The weapons utilized in Sandy Hook also were his mother’s, and they were locked up. He killed her after acquiring the locker combination and stole the weapons he utilized in his killing spree.

The school my son goes to has a single point of entry (four heavy glass doors - heavy enough to slow down a shooter), and all access is locked during school hours. There’s a separate entrance next to the main entrance where deliveries and guests can gain access during the day that is controlled by office personnel. Classrooms have solid doors that can be locked remotely if needed, and teachers are either armed or taught to use other objects during shooter situations (when my son was locked down his teacher grabbed a fire extinguisher). The school also has a communication system linked in with parents and the local sheriffs office in the event of an emergency (it was utilized successfully during our incident recently). This is an ideal situation that should be employed more widely if people were serious about securing their kids at school. Of course this is also a private Christian school, but scholarships are available for those who can’t afford it.

The community I live in is very gun friendly, and as such gun training is also widely available and encouraged. AR’s are regularly utilized by the ranchers to control the coyotes and bears, but usually the forest service or sheriff is called instead if there’s a problem My son’s friend has a hunting tag, and he’s 15. He’s hunted before; I guess they got a buck a couple years ago. Guns are not an issue here, and there’s a sense of community.

This area doesn’t need more gun laws to be safe which is why I oppose federally mandated gun restrictions, but I would think gun laws would be effective in more urban areas (such as Reno or Vegas). Individual communities need to be responsible enough to know what they need, but it shouldn’t have to be forced down if people are really concerned about safety. Instead of treating the country as if they can’t make those decisions themselves, why isn’t the government trying to empower communities and making resources available to make changes that fit their needs? I think this is something everyone would be on board with, but it’s not even being discussed (probably because it would probably be considered racist somehow).

Last edited:

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Hey xuscx…

try using Google, your answer is a mouse click away, and be surprised the number of incident. (shoot more than 8 rounds)

FYI: Your democrats have had control of the Executive, and BOTH houses of the legislature branches. (between 2009 and 2011) Democrats did control the White House and Congress during those years. NEWS FLASH: Your politicians DO NOT FIX ANYTHING, (republican or democrat) or they‘d ALL be out of a job.

Government and politicians are great at creating a problem, then telling us “if only, we had more money and more time to fix your problems.” joe biden, mitch mcconnell, maxine waters are lifer’s of “public service” ALL have become worth over 100 MILLION millionaires from ”public service” They ALL ARE IN IT, FOR THE MONEY AND POWER.

Government can barely run a strong military. IT TOOK 20 YEARS OF WAR, TO BEAT UP A COUNTRY, OF GOAT HERDERS, and 13 Marines died last year, because OUR government couldn’t implement a planned withdrawal.

The US Post Office, IRS, Dept of Education, and GSA, (are just a short list of a much longer list) ALL examples of government FAILURE.

Convince me I’m wrong.
All over the map I see. Has the repeal is the assault weapon ban made things much worse. Yes it has.

Reactions: aimeedee

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Another question you won't answer ............

Why do YOU think the founding fathers created the 2nd amendment ?
At the time it was standard practice for the king to control the military and the people had no say. The second amendment was added to avoid that situation so we do not have the Putin type regime. I really do not see where it applies now, we are not close to that style of government.

Still waiting for the home intruders that needed 25 shots to be scared away

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017

Per Barack Obama-

“In 1960, 22 percent of black children lived with single parents. In 1968, the number rose to 31.4 percent. By 2006, the 1960 percentage had more than doubled to 56 percent.

The absence of fathers is important, Obama continued, because "children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison."

So while many involve themselves in their son’s lives, which is a very good thing, it is just not the same as having a father in the home.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Reminds me of the old common-sense, by-definition, rock-hard truth:

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
That includes our current renegade gub'ment. Brandon already threatened to use the full military arsenal against American citizens. Not a peep from fake news media. President Trump never said anything close to that. Trump's poignant and presidential response to the Uvalde massacre was far superior to brandon's lame words littered with empty thoughts and a politicization of the murdered Uvalde children and teachers.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
The school my son goes to has a single point of entry (four heavy glass doors - heavy enough to slow down a shooter), and all access is locked during school hours. There’s a separate entrance next to the main entrance where deliveries and guests can gain access during the day that is controlled by office personnel.
My son’s old elementary school, which I still live near, has had a single, heavy gauge security gate for more than 20 years. There is the single entrance gate to the school grounds with an electronic control, which can be opened from inside the office by school personnel. They don’t let anyone onto school grounds without approved school business.

My old elementary school, which is in the same district, has the same security. These are public schools.

It’s a pretty big exaggeration when people say that we want to turn our schools into “maximum security prisons”. These are basic and prudent protections for the children that do not restrict their freedoms, nor those of the parents. And more can be put in place and still be reasonable.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Reactions: SonofGodzilla

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

Do you have any idea how much "authority" has been stripped from teachers? There is literal violence and absence of decent behavior IN many classrooms today....teachers get no support in that regard. Is that the way it was when you were 8? Times have changed.
At the time it was standard practice for the king to control the military and the people had no say. The second amendment was added to avoid that situation so we do not have the Putin type regime. I really do not see where it applies now, we are not close to that style of government.

Still waiting for the home intruders that needed 25 shots to be scared away
Is this really your understanding of the purpose of the 2nd A? Lol. That is not the reason it was "added". Hint....it IS the 2nd....that should tell you something about it's importance. Another hint....it was about having a militia so that the government wouldn't have or need a professional army.
Per Barack Obama-

“In 1960, 22 percent of black children lived with single parents. In 1968, the number rose to 31.4 percent. By 2006, the 1960 percentage had more than doubled to 56 percent.

The absence of fathers is important, Obama continued, because "children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison."

So while many involve themselves in their son’s lives, which is a very good thing, it is just not the same as having a father in the home.
Honestly, not sure what that poster's post had to do with the comment I made and which he quoted. I didn't mention race and didn't imply racial issues or disparity. It was a collection of societal ills that fall on us ALL when dealing with the consequences.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Do you have any idea how much "authority" has been stripped from teachers? There is literal violence and absence of decent behavior IN many classrooms today....teachers get no support in that regard. Is that the way it was when you were 8? Times have changed.

Is this really your understanding of the purpose of the 2nd A? Lol. That is not the reason it was "added". Hint....it IS the 2nd....that should tell you something about it's importance. Another hint....it was about having a militia so that the government wouldn't have or need a professional army.

Honestly, not sure what that poster's post had to do with the comment I made and which he quoted. I didn't mention race and didn't imply racial issues or disparity. It was a collection of societal ills that fall on us ALL when dealing with the consequences.
if it was a fundamental right it would be with the first amendments. So why in gods name is the subject of the sentence militia. Why does it not say anything about self protection. This court goes by exact words and the exact word is militia.

Fight On Era

Sep 28, 2021
My son’s old elementary school, which I still live near, has had a single, heavy gauge security gate for more than 20 years. There is the single entrance gate to the school grounds with an electronic control, which can be opened from inside the office by school personnel. They don’t let anyone onto school grounds without approved school business.

My old elementary school, which is in the same district, has the same security. These are public schools.

It’s a pretty big exaggeration when people say that we want to turn our schools into “maximum security prisons”. These are basic and prudent protections for the children that do not restrict their freedoms, nor those of the parents. And more can be put in place and still be reasonable.
You make some good points. That bogus position that increased security at schools will turn them into prisons is pure bovine feces. Movie, TV and most recording studios have intense security systems. Most office buildings do as well and have had strong security systems for decades. The safety of children should not be handled in a less efficient manner than the safety of celebrities and other adults in the workplace. It would be nice if we could all return to the idealic schools and airports of the Leave It To Beaver era where less security was in place but those days have passed. Btw back then semiautomatic weapons were available for public purchase and it was far easier to purchase guns in general. In fact until the late 1960's guns could be purchased via mail order. Mass shootings were practically unheard of during that time.

SonofGodzilla

Aug 30, 2017
The fact that the right feels the answer to school shootings is to make them like maximum security prisons shows how much they cherish their guns. So shooters won't/can't mow down children with their high capacity automatic weapons as the children exit the school grounds ? Maybe we can make bullet proof children's clothing for 5th graders ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts