What did y'all think about the Davis Wade survey?....

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Reading between the lines - I think they are exploring avenues to keep bdc donations coming in. As it's been said here, makes sense for people to shift their donations to NIL and just give the minimum to bdc. But we still need those funds coming in. I'd guess the best way is to increase premium seating options / increase the number of premium donations.

4 seats in my current location with the rental seats is ~$2500 total with total $600 bdc donation. If they can convince me to spend $8000 on premium seats, they've just increased my bdc donation by a factor of 10, from $600 to $6000 per year.

I don't think they are looking to price me out. Sounds like if I want to keep what I've got, it will still be available. They are just looking to see how much interest there is for the premium options. What's going to be the best return on investment.
I for one am not terribly happy with the BDC right now and I hope they read this. In 2022, I had gridiron tickets. In 2023, I renewed, but they inexplicably fell off my order form. By the time I noticed it (I obviously don't log into my dog tag account every day), they had given them to someone else on the waiting list and couldn't add them back. They acknowledge it was their mistake and I've been on them since February to let them know that I want them back this year, and they've been telling me it shouldn't be an issue given my BDC points ranking, but last week, they told me that I was like 45th on the waiting list but I could improve my odds by giving a one-time $25,000 gift to the BDC. I'm telling you, it's a good thing I love Mississippi State because **** like this is what makes fans check out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I for one am not terribly happy with the BDC right now and I hope they read this. In 2022, I had gridiron tickets. In 2023, I renewed, but they inexplicably fell off my order form. By the time I noticed it (I obviously don't log into my dog tag account every day), they had given them to someone else on the waiting list and couldn't add them back. They acknowledge it was their mistake and I've been on them since February to let them know that I want them back this year, and they've been telling me it shouldn't be an issue given my BDC points ranking, but last week, they told me that I was like 45th on the waiting list but I could improve my odds by giving a one-time $25,000 gift to the BDC. I'm telling you, it's a good thing I love Mississippi State because **** like this is what makes fans check out.
Par for the course for our athletic dept. a quick call or email could have resolved it without you losing your seats. At the very least, since they agree it was their mistake, you should be 1st on the waiting list.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m a most game tailgater. Once ever 2 year attender. From 80 to 2010s I used to attend every home game.
I'm a step further. Season ticket -> tailgate, but still go in a few games a year -> don't go at all unless I get invited to someone's box, then maybe. I watch them all on TV unless it looks like we forgot how to play football, then I go do yard work or work on home projects. My stress levels are much better than they used to be when I lived and died by every play.

ETA: I would seriously consider attending again if there were a reasonable cost option that involved a real chairback and enough room between rows to be comfortable. I honestly think they could delete ever other row in GA in favor of real chairbacks on the remaining rows and charge enough to be both affordable and profitable.

ETA2: Instead of a survey, the AD and staff should attend in GA seats for at least half the games and then see if they can't 1) figure it out for themselves or 2) put together a more meaningful survey

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The majority of the games that year were, in fact, not enjoyable to watch. The Egg Bowl and Illinois games come to mind immediately. Nails on chalkboard
or blowing a 13-0 lead to LSU to eventually lose, or that exciting KY game we lost where we were tied at 3-3 halftime, or blowing a 24-3 lead to Auburn and having to kick a FG w/ 27 seconds left to salvage a tie and then win it in OT.

A win is a win blah blah blah but those were in fact some painful games to watch. Wins are wins but watching us blow out Memphis 49-23 more than doubling their score isn't exciting, AZ ended up 5-7 and we blew them out, blowing Bowling Green out 45-14 or East TN St 56-7, just not worth fighting the crowds, traffic, increased costs, for the reward any more for me anyway.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
or blowing a 13-0 lead to LSU to eventually lose, or that exciting KY game we lost where we were tied at 3-3 halftime, or blowing a 24-3 lead to Auburn and having to kick a FG w/ 27 seconds left to salvage a tie and then win it in OT.

A win is a win blah blah blah but those were in fact some painful games to watch. Wins are wins but watching us blow out Memphis 49-23 more than doubling their score isn't exciting, AZ ended up 5-7 and we blew them out, blowing Bowling Green out 45-14 or East TN St 56-7, just not worth fighting the crowds, traffic, increased costs, for the reward any more for me anyway.
Good lord, man. You’re bitching about a 9-win season. It was a lot prettier than any other season we’ve had in the last 5 years.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I didn’t get the survey.. or if I did I auto deleted just like the other 7 emails I get from MSU every day.

I also didn’t get the survey but then I’ve not been a season ticket holder and haven’t attended a State game for several years. I’m likely not considered a stakeholder by the Athletics Department— and they’d be correct.

If the Athletics Department and Bulldog Club want to know what they have to do for me to attend some games:

1. The gameday experience needs to be organized better. MSU gameday is like St Paddy’s Parade Day in Jackson: tolerable in small doses.

2. Expand shuttle services and see if it’s possible to arrange dedicated roads (buses traveling the same roads as traffic kind of defeats their purpose some) and more parking
lots.

3. Make the experience fun.

But hey what do I know? I’m just a guy who…

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
But they have a 100K seat stadium. Ours is 61K. And we're not even talking about packing it out - I'm talking about it not being flat embarrassing on the bottom level.
Oh, I'm with ya. The lower sideline levels are 100 years old and badly need new amenities to compete with tv and everything else in this world.

However even with a padded lazy boy and free food, State isn't going to fill that stadium until we win more and win big games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Oh, I'm with ya. The lower sideline levels are 100 years old and badly need new amenities to compete with tv and everything else in this world.

However even with a padded lazy boy and free food, State isn't going to fill that stadium until we win more and win big games.
Danny convinced us, and we were coming off the Croom Error. He was right. He brought excitement.

Has Lebby? I don’t know, I don’t go to the rubber chicken circuit stuff anymore. But I’ll be in the stadium either way, so I don’t need convincing.

But obviously I agree, a degree of competency is needed.

Reactions: Maroon13

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
As others have said, too much emphasis on big donations for premium seats. Chairbacks, sound (promised 10 years ago), cell/wifi that works, more restrooms, easier access to concessions, are all more important than more premium options.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
As others have said, too much emphasis on big donations for premium seats. Chairbacks, sound (promised 10 years ago), cell/wifi that works, more restrooms, easier access to concessions, are all more important than more premium options.
Right, and maybe I'm just out of touch here, but I don't feel like basic fan needs like leg room and the ability to get to a bathroom without missing 20 minutes of the game should be considered premium amenities

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Anyone else look at the completion bar as they were filling it out and think, holy cow how long is this going to be. 10 pages in and mine was about a half inch (thankfully the scale was only half way across the page).

Certainly appreciate them asking but seemed like a mix of the MSU and SEC surveys we get (info they already have) and various premium ideas w/cost so hard to tell who it was targeting and what they were trying to get out of it. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to hear the conclusions.

Not sure how they view paying for general things like sound, wi-fi and LED lighting but it seems clear "chair backing the stadium", shortening rows, improving leg room isn't happening except in limited areas they can get the necessary increase in seat donations. Same with bathrooms, concessions and the SEZ.
More about upselling ticket holders than improving the existing experience. Understand the approach, just not sure what a lot of people were expecting. On the other hand, I could be wrong (nod to Dennis Miller as my late addition to the MR of comedians thread)

Reactions: Maroon13 and eckie1

patdog

May 28, 2007
Anyone else look at the completion bar as they were filling it out and think, holy cow how long is this going to be. 10 pages in and mine was about a half inch (thankfully the scale was only half way across the page).

Certainly appreciate them asking but seemed like a mix of the MSU and SEC surveys we get (info they already have) and various premium ideas w/cost so hard to tell who it was targeting and what they were trying to get out of it. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to hear the conclusions.

Not sure how they view paying for general things like sound, wi-fi and LED lighting but it seems clear "chair backing the stadium", shortening rows, improving leg room isn't happening except in limited areas they can get the necessary increase in seat donations. Same with bathrooms, concessions and the SEZ.
More about upselling ticket holders than improving the existing experience. Understand the approach, just not sure what a lot of people were expecting. On the other hand, I could be wrong (nod to Dennis Miller as my late addition to the MR of comedians thread)
I tried twice. Gave up both times well before I was half finished. Very poorly designed survey. And pretty meaningless. It’s pretty obvious they already know what they’re going to do.

Reactions: eckie1

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Maybe my attitude is sour but I am skeptical that anything comes from the survey. The average fan is being priced out (many have been already). Everything is about the money coming in to the university. Millions of dollars are flowing in while literally everything is going up for the fans.…parking, concessions, seat licensing tickets, and so on. Seems neverending.

Reactions: Maroon13 and eckie1

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
What ever happen to the price of a ticket entitling you to basic comforts like chair back seating, leg room, decent restrooms and affordable concessions? Especially when you factor in all of the cost you are easily paying $100+ each for the privilege.

Reactions: Maroon13