What happens when Powell isn't in the lineup tonight?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No.

I've been consistent on Lemonis from the beginning. And I told ya'll we'd be good enough to host, and here we are, on the bubble of it. I told you the overall trend of the program this season would resemble 2015-2016, and it has.

Ya'll just need to admit you're wrong on Lemonis. He's not a bad coach (overall). He's above average, but not great. End of discussion.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
No.

I've been consistent on Lemonis from the beginning. And I told ya'll we'd be good enough to host, and here we are, on the bubble of it. I told you the overall trend of the program this season would resemble 2015-2016, and it has.

Ya'll just need to admit you're wrong on Lemonis. He's not a bad coach (overall). He's above average, but not great.
your story keeps changing.

From top notch. To not a problem. To above average. To not bad. Which is it?

Now somehow you know the strength and condition program is an issue... and all our base running blunders are due to our soft approach.

This season resembles nothing of the 15-16 team. Nothing at all.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There are a lot of things that need improvement. Talent is alright, but we need to be more mentally tough. We need better strength and conditioning. But overall, who he plays and the decisions he makes is generally not one of the major problems. Our baserunning blunders are due to our soft approach.
So, need to be more mentally tough, but it's not the coach's fault. Need better S&C, but it's not the coach's fault. Baserunning blunders, but it's not the coach's fault. Not to mention, our talent level is pretty freaking bad outside of about 4 players, but of course, that's not the coach's fault either.

who he plays and the decisions he makes is generally not one of the major problems? Seriously? We continue to start the worst starting catcher in the SEC who can't hit for sh*t and hasn't thrown a baserunner out all year. We start multiple players with batting averages under .100 at DH in multiple conference games. Who makes these decisions?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you start as a DH and later switch to catching, do you move to spot of the batting order where the catcher was, and a new DH takes your spot or does the new DH take the catcher who you replace spot?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
My feel on lemonis is...

He's a players coach. Its been said many times. He doesnt seem like someone whose gonna chew tail or get on anyone... or bench anyone for that matter. The teams he's had success with had very strong leadership.

Ton of credit for our pitching coach. He seems to have changed the mentatlity of our staff. But same cant be said for the other parts of the game... which is where lemonis/geautreaux spend their time.... thats really the only thing that has changed from this year to years prior.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
But same cant be said for the other parts of the game... which is where lemonis/geautreaux spend their time.... thats really the only thing that has changed from this year to years prior.

We're fielding .984 after being pretty terrible at .964 last year.

And we're basically an average SEC hitting team, which means we can compete for Omaha.

Parker had been a great addition. The other coaches have also done their jobs this season.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So, need to be more mentally tough, but it's not the coach's fault. Need better S&C, but it's not the coach's fault. Baserunning blunders, but it's not the coach's fault. Not to mention, our talent level is pretty freaking bad outside of about 4 players, but of course, that's not the coach's fault either.
Who said it wasn't the coach's fault?

We continue to start the worst starting catcher in the SEC who can't hit for sh*t and hasn't thrown a baserunner out all year.
I agree, but they are role players at best, unless Powell goes on some sort of hot run or something, and he may. And someone said it the other day, it's not ALL about the act of throwing the player out - it's about preventing them as well.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We're fielding .984 after being pretty terrible at .964 last year.

And we're basically an average SEC hitting team, which means we can compete for Omaha.

Parker had been a great addition. The other coaches have also done their jobs this season.
The defense has been on par with the past, except at 3rd base. That’s where you are seeing the fielding percentage increase.

an average hitting team doesn’t mean you can compete for Omaha. We are where we are due to the pitching staff and the improvements made there. We have shown zero progresses offensively or with the base running, if anything it’s gotten worse on both

we are bottom half of runs, 3rd least homers, bottom half extra base hits, close to the bottom in slugging and ops…..if you wanna brag about batting average go ahead… batting average doesn’t equal run production.. the only stats we are in the top half of the sec is hits, avg, and walks. And we aren’t above the top 4 in any of it

All of this with a veteran team. If you call that a job well done… so be it….

if the offense was average we’d be a national seed. They aren’t.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The defense has been on par with the past, except at 3rd base. That’s where you are seeing the fielding percentage increase.

an average hitting team doesn’t mean you can compete for Omaha. We are where we are due to the pitching staff and the improvements made there. We have shown zero progresses offensively or with the base running, if anything it’s gotten worse on both

we are bottom half of runs, 3rd least homers, bottom half extra base hits, close to the bottom in slugging and ops…..

if the offense was average we’d be a national seed. They aren’t.

So Arkansas can't compete for Omaha because they are a below average in the SEC hitting team? You also know we are right in line in most offensive measures with a number of other solid teams that can obviously compete to get to Omaha.

I'm not bothering to spend time refuting all your other BS. You always have an answer with some cherry picked data to support whatever the hell position you've decided to take to further the agenda.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Until I see an intense display of intense mental toughness, and flipped bats, on all his home runs, he sits.***

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So Arkansas can't compete for Omaha because they are a below average in the SEC hitting team? You also know we are right in line in most offensive measures with a number of other solid teams that can obviously compete to get to Omaha.

I'm not bothering to spend time refuting all your other BS. You always have an answer with some cherry picked data to support whatever the hell position you've decided to take to further the agenda.
It’s not cherry picked data. It’s stats. You can’t refute it because it’s fact.

Arkansas has an elite pitching staff. Ours isn’t to that level.

There are many ways to slice the pie . We’ve gotten the utter most out of our staff as possible. Had the other parts of team improved the way the pitching staff did we’d be a national seed… however they didn’t and haven’t. So while I’m not asking for their heads in also not going to applaud them for a job well done.. when that job was below average and show little to no improvement

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

As far as our offense being in line with other solid teams

Tennessee
Texas am
Georgia

all have scored 100 more runs than we have

Arkansas has scored 15 less, but has an era a full run lower than ours and the sec pitcher of the year

Kentucky is better than us in every offensive category and has stolen 100 bases.

we aren’t right on par with any of the teams in this league offensive that are solid Omaha contenders.. except Arkansas.. and again the have one of the best staffs in the country if not the best

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
You Have To Start that dude tonight!
It’s a no brainer that shouldn’t even be a discussion.
MAYBE start Long tomorrow to give him a rest unless he goes off again tonight.
You keep riding your hot horse.
It ain’t that 17-ing hard!

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Are you sure about that? Could you not just put in a new DH in the original catcher's lineup spot?
I’m 1000000 percent sure.

if the dh enters the game to play the field. The dh is no longer allowed and the pitcher must hit

you can pinch hit for the dh 109 times but the first time he touches the field for defense. The pitcher hits

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I’m 1000000 percent sure.

if the dh enters the game to play the field. The dh is no longer allowed and the pitcher must hit

you can pinch hit for the dh 109 times but the first time he touches the field for defense. The pitcher hits

I understand why the DH can't move in the lineup to the original catcher's spot, but why could a new DH not take that spot?

You're not changing your batting order.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I hate to tell y'all, but Lemonis won our only NATTY in any team sport, and he has engineered a big turnaround this year. He ain't going anywhere unless he wants to.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I understand why the DH can't move in the lineup to the original catcher's spot, but why could a new DH not take that spot?

You're not changing your batting order.
Simple as I can make it.

if he dh takes the field to play a position. The dh is now eliminated and the pitcher has to hit in the spot of whoever is taken out of the game to insert the dh into the game

example:
Long catcher
Powell dh

Powell goes to catch for long
The pitcher now hits in longs spot

thems the rules. I didn’t make em. But that’s how it works

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Simple as I can make it.

if he dh takes the field to play a position. The dh is now eliminated and the pitcher has to hit in the spot of whoever is taken out of the game to insert the dh into the game

example:
Long catcher
Powell dh

Powell goes to catch for long
The pitcher now hits in longs spot

thems the rules. I didn’t make em. But that’s how it works

I should've paid more attention during the reign of Luis Pollorena. Other than Legget my favorite PH.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
He's not a bad coach (overall). He's above average, but not great. End of discussion.
If that is the case, it sounds like he is a better fit for Indiana instead of a blue blood program. And yes, we are a baseball blue blood. UA-T would not accept an “above average” football coach. Kentucky would not accept an “above average” basketball coach.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If that is the case, it sounds like he is a better fit for Indiana instead of a blue blood program. And yes, we are a baseball blue blood. UA-T would not accept an “above average” football coach. Kentucky would not accept an “above average” basketball coach.
We aren't Kentucky basketball level in baseball. Just stop it. It's not even CLOSE. We have one National Title. Our current coach won that. That's better than every other coach we have ever had in any sport. Sometimes y'all just don't realize what you sound like.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I hate to tell y'all, but Lemonis won our only NATTY in any team sport, and he has engineered a big turnaround this year. He ain't going anywhere unless he wants to.
He earned another year with a veteran squad, but being firmly in a regional SHOULD be the absolute minimum for this program. Next year‘s team is going to look completely different.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
We aren't Kentucky basketball level in baseball. Just stop it. It's not even CLOSE. We have one National Title. Our current coach won that. That's better than every other coach we have ever had in any sport. Sometimes y'all just don't realize what you sound like.
Since 1999, we have won just as many nattys in baseball as UK basketball. We ARE a blue blood. We deserve better than “above average”.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He earned another year with a veteran squad, but being firmly in a regional SHOULD be the absolute minimum for this program. Next year‘s team is going to look completely different.
If you want a college football equivalent to our baseball program, it's the University of Washington. That program is solid, has one natty, has long been a power in its conference, and goes through periodic down cycles. Until we won that natty we were probably Virginia Tech. Don't try to make us out to be something we aren't and hold a coach to that standard. That's how you destroy programs.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
One title does not make for a UK basketball level program. Just stop. It's laughable.
What’s laughable is being ok with two absolute crap seasons and one year that meets our standard. I‘m afraid we will be having the same discussion a year from now except it will be defending someone who has missed postseason 3/4 of the last seasons.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
One title does not make for a UK basketball level program. Just stop. It's laughable.
I’d ageee with that also.
Pretty much what it boils down to is we aren’t as relevant in baseball as some on here like to think.
Now if im talking to anyone outside the MSU fan base about baseball then I try and make em believe we are Alabama football, KY basketball and LSU baseball all wrapped into one.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you want a college football equivalent to our baseball program, it's the University of Washington. That program is solid, has one natty, has long been a power in its conference, and goes through periodic down cycles. Until we won that natty we were probably Virginia Tech. Don't try to make us out to be something we aren't and hold a coach to that standard. That's how you destroy programs.
Auburn football is a good one too. Rabid fanbase who puts everything into that program but still does stupid self-inflicted shlt from time to time.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What’s laughable is being ok with two absolute crap seasons and one year that meets our standard. I‘m afraid we will be having the same discussion a year from now except it will be defending someone who has missed postseason 3/4 of the last seasons.
What standard is that? We have always had down years in baseball. We had never won a natty before, and you want to run the guy off who did it. That's just plain stupid.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
As far as our offense being in line with other solid teams

Tennessee
Texas am
Georgia

all have scored 100 more runs than we have

Arkansas has scored 15 less, but has an era a full run lower than ours and the sec pitcher of the year

Kentucky is better than us in every offensive category and has stolen 100 bases.

we aren’t right on par with any of the teams in this league offensive that are solid Omaha contenders.. except Arkansas.. and again the have one of the best staffs in the country if not the best

You just equated the 4 of the 5 best teams in the league. 4 of the 5 or 6 best teams in the country (Georgia may only be Top 10), with 'solid' teams.

Of course those teams are 17' n solid. They're the best of the best. You don't have to be that to be Top 25 and a contender to reach Omaha. You know that.

I'm watching the game. You are ridiculous.