What is Joe Powell's story?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Played 2020-2023 at Cincinnati. Started for 3 years, hit .326 in 2022, then.......did not play in 2023.

Now a sporadic starter for us, and considering Long's antics and lack of hitting......isn't it time to let this guy start the rest of the year?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Been saying it since week 3.

Powell should be starting.

Long holds team meetings, is an "alpha", is a fun kid to coach. He's a lemonis favorite. Lemonis has a hard time benching his favorites.

So Long will continue to play.. even though its not what is best for the team AND despite being one of the leagues worst hitters... and probably the ONLY catcher in the country that has caught the amount of innings he has and has YET to throw ANY runner out stealing.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I'd be curious to know why he left after 22. We know he was working as a fireman/EMT last year, but why did he leave Cincy? Maybe he was burnt out. It happens. and he had a change of heart after not playing for a year. We had a need with Highfill out for the year, and it worked out for both parties. I'm assuming this is the answer, but who knows?

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Been saying it since week 3.

Powell should be starting.

Long holds team meetings, is an "alpha", is a fun kid to coach. He's a lemonis favorite. Lemonis has a hard time benching his favorites.

So Long will continue to play.. even though its not what is best for the team AND despite being one of the leagues worst hitters... and probably the ONLY catcher in the country that has caught the amount of innings he has and has YET to throw ANY runner out stealing.
Well, there's a little more to it than that. Long is not a great hitter. But his OB% is .406. That's 4th best on the team, ahead of Bryce Chance and Hunter Hines (both at .365). Powell's OB% is .338.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd be curious to know why he left after 22. We know he was working as a fireman/EMT last year, but why did he leave Cincy? Maybe he was burnt out. It happens. and he had a change of heart after not playing for a year. We had a need with Highfill out for the year, and it worked out for both parties. I'm assuming this is the answer, but who knows?
Yeah found an article that kinda glossed over the idea that he had some injuries and gave it up for a while. Seems like, if I was a coach, I wouldn't want to just lose a .326 hitter who was a veteran catcher.

At this point I just don't see what we would be losing to try him for the rest of the season plus Hoover as our regular catcher.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, there's a little more to it than that. Long is not a great hitter. But his OB% is .406. That's 4th best on the team, ahead of Bryce Chance and Hunter Hines (both at .365). Powell's OB% is .338.
Got to produce, though. OPS is similar between Long and Powell, Powell actually a bit higher, albeit pretty negligible. I'd just like to see him get some extended chances to see if he can get into a groove. And maybe be a better catcher.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Long is hitting 209 with a 630 OPS in conference games. Hes got 1 extra base hit. Powell in 1/3 of the atbats has 2 extra base hits and a OPS well over 800. Although thats probably not sustainable for him, he could without question be getting more playing time

Im glad he walks from time to time, but even with the walks. hes one of the worst hitters in the league.

The fact his ob% is ahead of chance and hines... shows you how worthless that stat is when talking about hitting unless the other stats around it support it.

People have questioned Lemonis's decisions. The fact he let Long hit with the bases loaded against Arkansas in the 9th is undefensable. Anyone on the bench would have been a better option

patdog

May 28, 2007
The fact he let Long hit with the bases loaded against Arkansas in the 9th is undefensable. Anyone on the bench would have been a better option
ordinarily I’d agree with this. But I’ve seen a little of some of the bench guys we’ve tried at DH in the last month or so. Yikes!

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Long is hitting 209 with a 630 OPS in conference games. Hes got 1 extra base hit.

Im glad he walks from time to time, but even with the walks. hes one of the worst hitters in the league.

The fact his ob% is ahead of chance and hines... shows you how worthless that stat is when talking about hitting unless the other stats around it support it.
I was just using OB% as a point of reference between him and Powell. Powell only has 3 extra base hits this year (admittedly in half as many bats). And a large chunk of his ABs have come in midweek. Neither are power guys that are gonna win you any games with their bats. But Long at least gets on base at a good clip.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Played 2020-2023 at Cincinnati. Started for 3 years, hit .326 in 2022, then.......did not play in 2023.

Now a sporadic starter for us, and considering Long's antics and lack of hitting......isn't it time to let this guy start the rest of the year?

Yeah, Johnny Long playing over Powell is the great mystery of this season. Long doesn't block balls. He doesn't throw out runners. He is an absolute hole in the lineup. He has one extra base hit on the season.

Let's break it down.

Long - 31 starts
Powell - 18 starts

Long - 8 passed balls - plus he consistently tries to backhand balls in the dirt rather than blocking; many WP's should have been blocked)
Powell - 1 passed ball

Long - Has yet to throw out a single baserunner
Powell - Six runners thrown out

Long - .209 average in SEC play; one home run, which is his only extra base hit of the year including non-conference
Powell - .284 average in SEC play; two doubles; one home run in less than 1/3 of the batting opportunities

Long also leads the team in embarrassments to the program. Get him out of there.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Blunt facts: If long had the At-Bats to qualify.

His OPS would fit in as the 2nd lowest in the league... only ahead of the Missouri short stop.

Thats how bad he is.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I was just using OB% as a point of reference between him and Powell. Powell only has 3 extra base hits this year (admittedly in half as many bats). And a large chunk of his ABs have come in midweek. Neither are power guys that are gonna win you any games with their bats. But Long at least gets on base at a good clip.
with a lineup as bad as our is. We need even little edge we can get. Powell is the better hitter AND the better defender. Its really silly to not have him in there.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Long - 8 passed balls - plus he consistently tries to backhand balls in the dirt rather than blocking; many WP's should have been blocked)
Powell - 1 passed ball
Yeah I didn't go and look that up but it certainly 'seemed' like Long was terrible behind the plate and Powell was pretty dang good, especially early on.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
then.......did not play in 2023.

He left Cincy and announced a transfer to Texas A&M but never played there. For some reason he decided to "retire:

https://247sports.com/college/texas...-ultimate-baseball-preview-204083678/#2099587
Excerpt: "The Aggies had thought they had found a good one season answer in Cincinnati transfer Joe Powell, who presented a good option when he committed in the summer. Unfortunately, Powell decided to not come to A&M and instead retire from the game"

Turns out we needed an extra catcher after Highfill's injury and somebody knew of Joe and let the staff know. They called him to see if he'd be interested and he was. No idea why he had the change of heart. Maybe lingering injuries had healed? No clue.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
We are 21-10 when Long starts. We are 11-7 when Powell starts.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We are 21-10 when Long starts. We are 11-7 when Powell starts.
So 67% vs. 61%. And I know a couple of games that Long cost us, so there's that. And you know as well as I do that baseball is a game of chances, and over time your chances add up and that amounts to winning games. Powell is a better catcher too.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

And Polk said on the broadcast this weekend that he's one of the better college catchers he's seen at blocking bad pitches.

Opinions here differ though, so Polk is probably senile.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Joe Powell has thrown out 6 steal attempts this year. He has also given up 17 steals in only 18 starts.

Long has given up 15 steals in 31 starts. He hasn't thrown anyone out, but Powell still gives up far more steals per game.

We could go around and around with stats. I'm just saying its not as obvious as people are making it.

• Sad

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Joe Powell has thrown out 6 steal attempts this year. He has also given up 17 steals in only 18 starts.

Long has given up 15 steals in 31 starts. He hasn't thrown anyone out, but Powell still gives up far more steals per game.

We could go around and around with stats. I'm just saying its not as obvious as people are making it.
You’re kidding right. Powell throws out 0 percent of baserunner. Powell throws out 25 precent.

Longs record has a start is good and the stole base attempts aren’t as many because he catches our two best pitchers.

Stats can’t hide this:
Long is the 2 worst hitter in the entire sec
Long hasn’t thrown out 1 runner all season

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012

And the vast majority of those have been in non-SEC games. SEC teams are not running against us.
SEC Teams have 9 stolen bases against us and been CS 2 times.
Powell has given up 1 SB and not thrown anyone out.
Long has given up 8 SB and hasn't thrown out anyone

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
He left Cincy and announced a transfer to Texas A&M but never played there. For some reason he decided to "retire:

https://247sports.com/college/texas...-ultimate-baseball-preview-204083678/#2099587
Excerpt: "The Aggies had thought they had found a good one season answer in Cincinnati transfer Joe Powell, who presented a good option when he committed in the summer. Unfortunately, Powell decided to not come to A&M and instead retire from the game"

Turns out we needed an extra catcher after Highfill's injury and somebody knew of Joe and let the staff know. They called him to see if he'd be interested and he was. No idea why he had the change of heart. Maybe lingering injuries had healed? No clue.

Or he found out how weird those A&M people are and decided he was better off not playing.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And the vast majority of those have been in non-SEC games. SEC teams are not running against us.
SEC Teams have 9 stolen bases against us and been CS 2 times.
Powell has given up 1 SB and not thrown anyone out.
Long has given up 8 SB and hasn't thrown out anyone
I’ve often wondered why SEC teams aren’t running on us. It’s almost like they’re turning down a free base. I’d make our catcher prove he can throw my runner out. And if he can’t, I’d just keep running every time.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve often wondered why SEC teams aren’t running on us. It’s almost like they’re turning down a free base. I’d make our catcher prove he can throw my runner out. And if he can’t, I’d just keep running every time.
It's very odd. Us, A&M, UK are all teams no one is running against - 11 attempts or less for all three.
Most teams have 20+ attempts against.

Oct 17, 2023
Why steal after our starter goes out and take a chance on an out even if its a small chance? They know our "relief" pitchers can't get anyone out.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

No, we really can't go round and round with stats. The stats are clear. Long has thrown out 0% of runners who have attempted steals. He can't hit. And he can't block balls.

We're solidly in "what does he have on this coaching staff" territory here.

Reactions: patdog