What subscribers say (may not be what you think)

Brian Shoemaker

Gamecock Central Founder+Publisher
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Hey guys. A few weeks ago, I asked subscribers to explain why they subscribe in a sentence or two.

Here are some of the answers. I think they're interesting.

Gamecock Central Subscriber Testimonials​

“Having been a member for over 20 years, not much thought has been given as to why. GC has become a staple, like milk or eggs, and I couldn’t begin my day without it. Where else can you pay less than $100 per year and enjoy something–really enjoy it–for two or three hours a day. And that’s seven days a week, 52 weeks a year.” – gopper

“I subscribe because Gamecock Central is THE source for all things Gamecock! Accurate and timely information related to University of South Carolina athletics. A source you can trust.” – gamecock52

“I subscribe to Gamecock Central because of the professionalism and class exhibited by Shoe, Chris, Wes and the rest of the best staff in sports media. The unparalleled and researched information is available nowhere else. I’ve been a member since 2009 and this site is part of my everyday life. I wouldn’t dream of getting my Gamecock information from any site other than Gamecock Central.” – wfh975

“I subscribed for access to the forum. I stayed because of the community and the great tips and teasers, as well as good information and breakdowns of teams, performances, and prospective hires/recruits. This site has it all.” – paladin181

“I came to Gamecock Central in 1999 because I saw that the Columbia-area print media was starting to cut staff and cut content, while Gamecock Central was going the other way. Plus, Gamecock Central has always had a great balance of being a fan site but also reports real news, without taking cheap shots that print media liked to do in order to supposedly show ‘balance.’ Now, GC has far outclassed every other media outlet for Gamecock Sports, even the official Carolina site, because GC has been able to master year-round Gamecock news with the recruiting world.” – lawcock#

“This is the start of my 11th year as a GC subscriber, and it is a real community. I am a member to stay connected with other committed fans who want details about our teams; to get the best inside scoop available from GC reporters and members; and to have the daily distraction from “real life” of being a part of the closest-knit Gamecock community you can find.” – carolinakg

“I am a member of GC because I want the best sources, the most accurate information and the journalists with the most integrity in this market by far. GC deals in sourced, verifiable information – not BS conjecture described as “tidbits” that exist solely for clicks.” – BushcraftCock

“I get fast, accurate info with no sensationalism. Quality stories covering all aspects of Gamecock sports with plenty of content. Met many other subscribers as well and I appreciate many of the conversations. I’ve been extremely impressed and happy to be a Gamecock Insider subscriber. I recommend it to all Gamecock fans.” – rcr2001

“I subscribe to Gamecock Central to get the most accurate and trustworthy Gamecock coverage. From football, baseball, basketball, women’s basketball and the great, honest recruiting coverage is an unbeatable combination. That’s why I’ve been a member since its inception.” – grayman#

“Basically boils down to this: Dependable, timely and unbiased Carolina reporting along with a cast of characters on this site that make me laugh, mad, think and get emotional at times about my beloved Gamecocks and South Carolina. A 20-year subscriber.” – Sandlapper 1

“I subscribe because of the staff. They are professional. They engage with the forum. They report facts. A group of talented, sports-minded, and honest folks like these are few and far between these days.” – joebo1

“We have been subscribers for over 20 years to Gamecock Central because they offer the most extensive and excellent coverage of Gamecock sports.” – beaufortcock

“I subscribe to Gamecock Central because it gives me the most comprehensive in-depth timely coverage of something I truly enjoy following, Gamecock sports. The staff at GC come across as having the same sincere passion as I do for the Gamecocks! I also appreciate the community and correspondence with my fellow fans.” – Gradstudent

“I found Gamecock Central while deployed overseas and it kept me connected to Gamecock football information during my naval career. I absolutely love the content and have been a member for many years.” – hendogg95

“Gamecocks Central is my lifeline to USC sports. The information is accurate and reported with journalistic integrity. The staff is always willing to answer inquiries in a timely manner. The Gamecocks Central community has become de facto family members over time. It is more than a sports information website. It has become an essential part of my day and I am grateful to be a member.” – Pfunk Cock

“Folks should subscribe because GC is one of the most objective sports sites I’ve ever encountered. I love that you have not fallen for “clickbait culture,” and your guys and gals tell it like it is with minimal “Garnet Glasses” takes on everything. You continue to evolve the site and offer more/different/better content and the journalists are top-notch. Thank you for keeping politics at bay – I can get that anywhere else – and focusing so well on all things Gamecock!” – Stratcat22

“It is without a doubt the best coverage available. There is no other website that can compete in any aspect of Gamecock athletic coverage. It is always accurate and up-to-date from recruiting, teams, insights and everything in between, it is complete and professionally done.” – joelft2001

“A couple of reasons that I subscribe to Gamecock Central are: The most up-to-date and accurate info regarding my Gamecock sports. I just enjoy reading all the different opinions and discussions held on The Insiders Forum, some of the guys and gals on there get me laughing and I can’t wait to see where some of the discussions go.” – RC4GMCKS

“I subscribe to GC to find out what’s happening with Gamecock sports. Being in the Upstate there is minimal coverage of Carolina sports. The GC staff routinely provides a lot of in-depth information on a host of topics, and they do it professionally and on an informal basis so as to encourage GC member participation. And in a civil manner. I’ve been a member of GC for quite some time and I have no complaints whatsoever.” – jdf1953

“The staff is the primary reason for joining GC. They provide more thorough/detailed and accurate Insider information – especially Chris Clark – than other sites. They appear to value and respect each and every member and make them feel welcomed.” – Lakecock1

“The recruiting news, player info, and updates on the teams. I like the forums … We have some really good topics and discussions on the boards. It keeps me interested in what’s going on during the off season as well.” – jsoprano

“Initially, I joined GC to get more reliable inside scoop on Gamecock athletics from the staff. However, once I joined I found the give and take of the message boards with staff and other subscribers, especially The Insiders Forum, enjoyable and more informative.” – alndyoung

“I became a member for breaking news regarding Gamecocks sports. I stay a member for timely, accurate, and inside information about Gamecock sports. And many thanks to Shoe and staff for remaining on the job and being a voice of sanity in the crazy times.” – spur’em cocks

“I’d simply sum up my longtime support of GC with two words: content and trust. I enjoy the content of GC and the continuing growth and expansion of that content. Also, I’ve developed a level of trust with Chris, Wes, and others, because they deliver information in a professional, frank, and enjoyable style. In other words, not too emotional, rosy, and full of BS.” – Milehighcock93

“I subscribe (and have for more than 15 years) because GC is an inexpensive outlet for me to share my addiction to Gamecock football and other Gamecock sports. The articles and info are fantastic and we have some great contributors on The Insiders Forum to have conversations with.” – gpinnington

“I have been a member at GamecockCentral since 2004. The first few years, I would look at other sites to compare. There is no comparison. The caliber of writers and reporters is amazing. I wouldn’t spend my money anywhere else.” – wpcock

“You guys do a great job of breaking down recruiting targets and breaking down to the subscribers the latest information surrounding our Gamecocks. Bringing in Uva was huge because I followed him on Twitter prior to joining your staff and he was great. You guys know when the fans just need to vent after a loss or how to hype us up after a huge sign. Chris Clark and Wes Mitchell are a great combo and by far what had me to sign up from what I saw on Twitter. They are professional but also they are like us and want to see the Gamecocks do well. Once I subscribed I began to read more articles from the rest of your staff and I am hooked. I now spend more time on Gamecock Central than I do on Twitter because I get the information I was looking for.” – Jrod0105

“I joined Gamecock Central over 20 years ago. I joined to read about and discuss Gamecock sports. I stayed because I found a community of fellow Gamecocks. There are members on the board that I consider close friends even though many of us have never met each other in person. The staff and content aren’t bad either. Just kidding, they are the best. By the way, our meet and greets are the cherry on top. Go Gamecocks!” – bantam#

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST...

Brian Shoemaker

Gamecock Central Founder+Publisher
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
“I’m a big Gamecock fan here in the Upstate of SC. I want to keep up with especially football, but all sports so that’s why I am a member. I like The Insiders Forum because you get all the behind-the-scenes stuff and intel that you wouldn’t get if you were not a member. I’ve been a member of Gamecock Central for several years. I enjoy the content and reading all the posts.” carolinajeff#

“I originally subscribed to GC when I was serving in the Marines and was overseas. GC gave me a place to keep up with my favorite team. I am an occasional poster but enjoy reading about my Gamecocks. Reading various opinions and watching “meltdowns” is also amusing at times.” USCD14ME

“It is my one-stop, go-to USC sports news and information center. The staff there is great, the articles precise with as much info as the writers can give while still keeping their journalistic integrity, and the forum is informative (although controversial at times). I also enjoy reading things going on in the state, whether high school related or just other interesting tidbits that are shared concerning the state of South Carolina (plus Braves updates!). Thanks for the outstanding job the staff does and to the posters who keep it interesting.” 67Bird

“There are many reasons I subscribe to Gamecock Central, but most notably it’s the professionalism of the entire GC staff. There is a certain respectability aspect of the site that is, quite honestly, unmatched. Time and time again we witness Chris, Wes, and Collyn (and now Mike), take the “hard evidence” approach. Unless there is concrete information, the staff will not report. This also can be seen on the recruiting side, in which they do respect a player’s privacy when announcing a commitment/transfer. This is unprecedented in today’s media outlets, and for that, I truly can appreciate and respect.” tking4485

“It all started back in 1998 when a Gamecock friend told me about Gamecock Central. After “pecking around” (pun intended) on the site, I was hooked on the best place for Gamecock news, recruiting news, game coverage, team coverage, coach and player interviews, and Gamecock discussion with other fans, and more. Just as important; I’ve met some very good friends from Gamecock Central, including the site publisher, Brian Shoemaker and several of his staff members. Gamecock Central has become a huge hobby, as well as a big part of my daily life.” Rooster Louie

“I have subscribed to Gamecock Central for almost (gosh) 20 years because of the unmatched content, professionalism of the staff, and community those guys have fostered on their platform. As a business, they are constantly looking to provide more to their customers, and they have their finger on the pulse of the industry.” SCBobo85

“I subscribe for the friendly (most of the time) banter on The Insiders Forum. Also, the premium content and the writers are excellent. Gamecock Central is my source for news and reporting on the Cocks. They are fair and honest and usually right on the money when reporting stories. Thanks and I look forward to more years here on Gamecock Central!” chick

“Gamecock Central deals with facts as they reveal themselves, not wild innuendo or rumors. The folks at Gamecock Central are very well connected and the subscribers benefit from accurate and timely Gamecock scoop.” Six Million Dollar Man

“I trust Gamecock Central for objective coverage of Gamecock sports. They consistently do this while avoiding the sensationalized headlines so typical in the legacy media today.” Creekman302

“It’s because you and your staff provide facts and inside information the correct way, with integrity and respect. Things are done the right way here as writers and reporters. The other reason as to why everyone should subscribe to GC is because it’s like a close-knit family, you develop relationships/friendships with people here that don’t know you from the next person that walks by on the street. But they still care to see how your family has been and take time to ask.” JHJohnson67

“With my subscription to Gamecock Central, I get great insights into South Carolina recruiting that I can’t find in other places, both high school and the transfer portal. The follow-up interviews with recent high-profile transfers have been outstanding! The staff also provides excellent game analysis during the season.” Carolina1990

“I came along about a month before USC hired Muschamp. I relentlessly searched for info as to who it would be. Ultimately found this website. I stay because there is a clear distinction between members and non-members on inside knowledge of the program. I talk to folks at work, talk to strangers out and about. I’m always the Gamecock SME. Simply put, it’s a superior product to what everyone else is selling. I pay for quality.” Mr.Bordenkircher

“I subscribe to Gamecock Central because I feel as though they do a very good job of covering University of South Carolina athletics in a positive manner without crossing the line of acting like “fans.” The Gamecock Central staff is not afraid to point out things that are not so positive when they see them. However, unlike many other media outlets, Gamecock Central does not thrive upon controversy and doesn’t go out of their way to create it.” Impala_SS_Cock

“Chris, Collyn, Mike and Wes are so informative and concise. They are the reason why GC is the first thing I look at in the morning! The message boards are entertaining as well! Gamecock Central is the best University of South Carolina website….ever! GO COCKS!!!” DrinkAtJoes

“I feel GC gives me the best opportunity to get the latest Gamecock news as it comes out. The GC staff is a good source for accurate info. Also, the forums are anywhere from enlightening to ridiculous, but generally interesting.” RLCOCKS

“My subscription began solely for the insider reports, but now I love the interviews and staff responsiveness. The game breakdowns are neat and finding out the behind-the-scenes recruiting when someone commits is awesome as well. Highly recommend it.” Lattimore4Heisman

“I joined Gamecock Central 22 years ago because I was in the Persian Gulf on the USS Enterprise on a 10-month deployment and with no other connectivity to my beloved Gamecocks, I found this site by accident and felt connected to home and USC with all the information I was able to read. Then in 2001, we were completely cut off from the internet, post 911 now in Afghanistan, but could receive incoming emails. Shoe would personally email recruiting and game updates so that I could keep up. My loyalty was sealed to this site at that time.” Navycock1

Jan 18, 2022
Too bad I was never able to sign up when the special was running no matter how many times I tried and how many official people I talked to. And I sure as hell can't afford $100 for it.

Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Clark

Gamecock Central Insider
Staff member
Jan 6, 2022
Too bad I was never able to sign up when the special was running no matter how many times I tried and how many official people I talked to. And I sure as hell can't afford $100 for it.

Oh well.

Hey @GamecockWarrior - which staffers here did you reach out to and how - want to look into why you didn't receive an answer on this front.

Shoot me a PM or an email - [email protected] so we can further discuss. Wanted to make sure you got a look!

Chris Clark

Gamecock Central Insider
Staff member
Jan 6, 2022
Here is my response: Twenty years ago I ended up here. Not even sure how I got here. I do know I was heaven sent. Go Cocks!

Thanks, Jeff! We are very glad you're here. Appreciate you being with us for so long and that you've enjoyed your experience!

Whythis28

Joined Jun 22, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
So you're saying it took more than a sentence or two for an explanation? 😁😉

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Jan 25, 2022
I've been a subscriber on here for a few years. I also subscribe to TOS. Here is what I have noticed again and again is the difference between the 2. On TOS, you get more "information", but it is as likely to be wrong as right. On GC Central, they only post what they know is true. Example 1: a couple of days before Beamer was hired, Wes and Chris were adament that Beamer was the top candidate. TOS said that Beamer had been previously but that Napier had taken him over and was the top candidate. Chris and Wes said nope, it's Beamer. We know how it turned out. Example 2: last week TOS said that Xavier McLeod was going to announce his commitment on Saturday. GC Central said nope, it would be soon, but no date had been given. Saturday came and went with no word from McLeod. I could give lots of examples like this. In short: GC Central doesn't put out stuff that isn't true just to get movement on their board. There may be less "updates" here, but that's because false information isn't given by the GC Central staff.

• Love
Reactions: 81 Alumnus

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
I have floated around on free sites, Cockytalk the longest for decades. Think I have found a home now.

Chris Clark

Gamecock Central Insider
Staff member
Jan 6, 2022
I have floated around on free sites, Cockytalk the longest for decades. Think I have found a home now.

Hey @Senior Rooster - we are thrilled to say "Welcome Home" to you here on GamecockCentral.com!

If you need anything at all - questions about the site or content, help finding something, or just want to drop a line and give feedback/say hey, please feel free to reach out at any time. Here, via PM, or email: [email protected].

Really glad you found a home here. Hope to have you for a long time to come!

• Love
Reactions: Senior Rooster

too2cool2

Joined Dec 21, 2006
Jan 17, 2022
Well, in 2006 we were recruiting Clowney and you had to pay to get the good info. Had been a non-paying member of Rivals for a good while before that

Chris Clark

Gamecock Central Insider
Staff member
Jan 6, 2022
Well, in 2006 we were recruiting Clowney and you had to pay to get the good info. Had been a non-paying member of Rivals for a good while before that

And you never left! Thanks for jumping on board! We appreciate you being a part of things here so much.

Reactions: too2cool2

Cocksure

Joined Nov 14, 2004
Jan 19, 2022
Back when I joined about 20 years ago, I was an insider. A good friend was very tight with a couple of coaches and I knew a couple of players. So, I initially joined to provide good insight to our football program. I couldn't share it all because some of my information was personal in nature and a lot of it was information that had to stay confidential. Eventually, as the coaching staff changed and the players I knew moved on, I lost my window into the program. But I was hooked on the site at that point. I come to the site every day.

Chris Clark

Gamecock Central Insider
Staff member
Jan 6, 2022
Back when I joined about 20 years ago, I was an insider. A good friend was very tight with a couple of coaches and I knew a couple of players. So, I initially joined to provide good insight to our football program. I couldn't share it all because some of my information was personal in nature and a lot of it was information that had to stay confidential. Eventually, as the coaching staff changed and the players I knew moved on, I lost my window into the program. But I was hooked on the site at that point. I come to the site every day.

This is awesome @Cocksure - thanks for posting! Thanks even more for being here for so long! We really appreciate you.

Reactions: Cocksure

Latest posts