When did we bring back the Female Bully mascot, and how is that still a thing?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Great. Why do we want one?

I don't even understand today's culture. I'm asking if/how Belle fits in.
You sure seem to continue to 'just ask questions' about something you claim to jot be upset over.

It's a mascot. Why the 17 would it matter to any adult that we have a female mascot too?
If MSU wants to add a child bulldog and some grandparent bulldog mascots, I couldn't care less. They are mascots- they exist to entertain for high fives and pictures.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Are you serious? Offensive? There couldn’t be a more ridiculous issue to analyze.

I have 2 young daughters, if given the choice between bully and “belle” I’m sure they would like to take a picture with belle. That’s the reason for belle.

I also have a son and another on the way, and I’m sure if given the choice they’d like a picture with bully. How can being a boy or girl be offensive? Surely you’re trolling.
I never said any of it was offensive. I was questioning the poster who said people claimed NOT having a female mascot was offensive. I just surmised if there was anything for sensitive people to be offended by it would be her bows.

Look, I was just surprised that a female mascot showed up after decades of not existing. I was also curious whether this was considered a good idea or a bad idea in today's culture, because I don't understand that stuff.

Now I'm fascinated by the number of people here who are either defensive of questioning her existence, or are so disinterested in the topic that they joined the thread to let us know how disinterested they are.

This board can be amazing sometimes.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
You sure seem to continue to 'just ask questions' about something you claim to jot be upset over.

It's a mascot. Why the 17 would it matter to any adult that we have a female mascot too?
If MSU wants to add a child bulldog and some grandparent bulldog mascots, I couldn't care less. They are mascots- they exist to entertain for high fives and pictures.
Because I'm curious, but instead of answering questions people are being rude.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Belle was created by those waking up offended cuz there was no female mascot rep. I say let her perform at female sporting events but keep Bully the way he is for male sporting events.
You're right. Why even have female cheerleaders and female dancers at male sporting events? In fact, why even let female fans attend male sporting events? They have their own sports they can go cheer for.***

Seriously dude, not everything is part of a culture war and even if it was, if not wanting a Bulldog mascot in a cheerleading outfit next to the (checks notes) women in cheerleading outfits is the hill you want to die on, maybe you're on the wrong side of it.

Also, Belle was around (at least) 20 years ago. She's not new.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
You're right. Why even have female cheerleaders and female dancers at male sporting events? In fact, why even let female fans attend male sporting events? They have their own sports they can go cheer for.***

Seriously dude, not everything is part of a culture war and if not wanting a Bulldog mascot in a cheerleading outfit next to the (checks notes) women in cheerleading outfits is the hill you want to die on, maybe you're on the wrong side of it.

Also, Belle was around (at least) 20 years ago. She's not new.
Was thinking the same thing. Belle has been around for years. It’s not like she just started this season, so the timing of this thread is very odd, and I’m guessing was started by someone who was bored and wanted to know if he could get a 40-post thread about a costumed mascot. He succeeded.

ETA: Looked it up, Belle became the female costumed mascot in 2004. So I have no idea why this all of a sudden turned into a thing 19 years after the mascot debuted.

Reactions: M R DAWGS and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Bully has always been a masculine image so why the change? Even our living English Bulldog has always been a male. Was there a huge contingent of STATE Fans upset about this and demanded change?
Bully XIII-B from 1974-1977 was a female named "Sissy".

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Because I'm curious, but instead of answering questions people are being rude.
The questions are just...I mean really now, why ask them over and over?
A female mascot exists. It exists because someone at some point in time thought it would be a good idea to add one. There ya go- end of story really.

Sep 21, 2017
Was thinking the same thing. Belle has been around for years. It’s not like she just started this season, so the timing of this thread is very odd, and I’m guessing was started by someone who was bored and wanted to know if he could get a 40-post thread about a costumed mascot. He succeeded.

ETA: Looked it up, Belle became the female costumed mascot in 2004. So I have no idea why this all of a sudden turned into a thing 19 years after the mascot debuted.
If I remember correctly the reason why they did away with the Belle mascot in the 2000's was because she was run over by the ESPN camera buggy on the sidelines?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I never said any of it was offensive. I was questioning the poster who said people claimed NOT having a female mascot was offensive. I just surmised if there was anything for sensitive people to be offended by it would be her bows.

Look, I was just surprised that a female mascot showed up after decades of not existing. I was also curious whether this was considered a good idea or a bad idea in today's culture, because I don't understand that stuff.

Now I'm fascinated by the number of people here who are either defensive of questioning her existence, or are so disinterested in the topic that they joined the thread to let us know how disinterested they are.

This board can be amazing sometimes.
This is a good example of how people have become more sensitive than a seismograph. I have to chuckle when I think about how this might have sounded at another time in our history. Imagine how a group of WW II soldiers would sound while sitting in a foxhole having a discussion and trying to talk about everyone's pronouns or the 57 different genders every soldier feels they identify with, or making sure there was a correct amount of representation within the platoon.

Political correctness has made people afraid to engage each other in conversations simply because they don't want to start a battle over... nothing.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
If I remember correctly the reason why they did away with the Belle mascot in the 2000's was because she was run over by the ESPN camera buggy on the sidelines?
The female mascot got run over during the 2013 Egg Bowl. I believe the girl in the costume suffered a broken leg and got a nice settlement from ESPN. Idk why that would cause them to retire the mascot but I haven’t paid attention to the mascots.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I saw her in Tampa, and someone said her name was Belle? We had a female mascot when zebras in School, but she just showed up for women's sports. Although, now that I think about it, we had the SEC Womens/Mens double headers in basketball I think she would hang around for the first half of the men's game.

Still, how does this happen in today's gender sensitive world?
I heard Zac Selmon was moving his stuff in and found the costume buried way back in the locked closet behind the AD's desk in his office. He decided to bring her out of hiding. No word as to who stuffed her in there or why.**

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
It must be a lot of fun waking up everyday trying to find something to be offended by
anon screenshot.jpg

Today I learned that there are multiple accounts like this... I've never looked closely at the numbers, so up until just now I had assumed this was one guy too lazy to change his username. I guess this means I'll have to actually read their posts instead of just assuming I know who it is and immediately downvoting.

Reactions: Dawgg