Who is the college team you find yourself rooting for across the sports outside of State?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Added "outside of State". In my mind - that was what I meant for my question.

Reactions: Dawgg

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Added "outside of State". In my mind - that was what I meant for my question.
Answer is still the same. College sports are for alumni and students. Bandwagon fans with no ties to the school are weird to me to begin with. I can't see myself rooting for anyone else other than State.

I do not mind seeing underdog schools do well. Baylor, for example.

Reactions: thekimmer

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Alabama football. Other two, nobody. (But not near as passionate as MSU). The iron bowl was fun. But didn't lose any sleep over the loss to Michigan although I was wanting Bama to win.

I absolutely hated them from 80s- 00s. Somewhere along the way I realized that was pointless and college sports is what it is.

Also, Moms side is all from the Tuscaloosa area. Grandmother went to school there. I'm bonafide. Ha.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Anon1697564126

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'll root for anyone playing against OM, but I won't watch it.

Outside of MSU, I don't really consume much college sports. NCAA Lacrosse if top 10 teams are playing.

MSU sports, NFL, WWE, F1, NASCAR, Lacrosse, Golf.

Reactions: tyroid

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Obvious answer - Anyone who plays Ole Miss.

I go in and out of not rooting for LSU. Depends on how obnoxious my brothers are being.

Outside of the south - I've always liked Penn State and Notre Dame for football. Basketball - I liked Syracuse until 1996.

Last edited:

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It's hard for me to hate LSU. When they win I think, "Good for them, they have to live in a swamp so they need something positive."

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Arkansas. Because I think they have more upside potential than anyone in the SEC and I just like the state.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I used to pull for Clemson, when they were more of the underdog, for my sister went to school there and still lives in Greenville. Not so much any more.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Anyone who plays ole miss in any sports
Anyone who plays LSU in any sports except Ole Miss in that case I pull for LSU
Anyone who plays Bama in any sports except Ole miss and, in that case, I pull for Bama.
Anyone who play BYU in any sports except Ole Miss and in that case, I pull for BYU.

patdog

May 28, 2007
1. Don't care, whoever is playing Mississippi.
2. Don't care. Whoever is playing Mississippi.
3. Don't care. Whoever is playing Mississippi.

I'm a Mississippi State fan. I used to be a college sports fan, but I just don't care about it anymore unless Mississippi State is playing.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I'm afflicted to the point I don't want to see any other college team win anything.

Any time I'm watching games that don't involve MSU I'll always ask myself: "Self, which of these teams do you want more to lose?"

So I decide who I want to lose and that means I'm pulling for the other team... but not because I like them.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I thought you meant one school that you rooted for in all sports. I root for USC Trojan football. That's really it besides state. I root against Ole Miss, Arkansas, Bama, and Auburn. That's not the same as rooting for someone.

Reactions: BA Dog

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Both my parents are from Memphis and were Memphis State alums, so I've always rooted for them in basketball.

Answer is still the same. College sports are for alumni and students. Bandwagon fans with no ties to the school are weird to me to begin with. I can't see myself rooting for anyone else other than State.

I do not mind seeing underdog schools do well. Baylor, for example.
This drives me crazy too. I get it if you're born and raised in south LA, you're indoctrinated into LSU, and even if you don't go to college at all you're still a Tiger fan. But to attend and graduate from a school and be a fan of a different school just makes no sense.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Florida State especially when they play Florida. I spent a lot years in Florida and had to put up with their, "why is Mississippi State in the powerful SEC?" Couple that with their Alabama like self importance in any sport. Florida State fans were like State fans even though they had won football NCs.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Football:
During Covid, I started getting behind Coastal Carolina in football. It's an easy group to root for. I'll turn their games on and pull for them whenever I see them roll around ESPN+. Realistically, the entire Sun Belt is just easy to root for when they're playing a team from another conference.

Men's basketball:
Growing up in Corinth, we got all of the Memphis stations and Channel 30 used to play Memphis State basketball games. I remember watching Elliot Perry and Penny Hardaway playing in the Metro Conference, so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Memphis.

For all sports:
I root for all of the Mississippi HBCU's as well as Delta State and Southern Miss.
My wife is a Sooner, so I pull for OU too.

All of this is with the caveat "as long as they're not playing Mississippi State".

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Football-Tulane. I became a secondary Tulane fan in the late 70's-mid 80's when as a youngster we'd go to NO for a Tulane-Saints doubleheader. Tulane wasn't terrible or that far removed from the SEC, so as an independent they still played 6-7 SEC teams a year. Us, Ole Miss, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy, and , of Course, LSU all made trips to the dome to play Tulane. SMU came with Dickerson and James. Miami came with Jim Kelly. FSU came. Clemson came in 81 when they won the natty. I remember Tulane almost beat them. IIt was like 13-5. Purple and orange all over Bourbon Street. I bought an "Angry Wave" shirt in the Dome gift shop and wore it to school thinking I was the coolest guy on the planet. Good times

Basketball-St.John's. Became a fan in 1982 when as a ten year old I got interested in basketball. We'd just got a satellite dish and the Redmen were always on. Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Willie Glass, Sheldon Jones, Bill Wennington were my guys. I loved Big East basketball way more than SEC basketball back then.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
But to attend and graduate from a school and be a fan of a different school just makes no sense.
I disagree. Sometimes life happens in a way other than you expect. I was born in Starkville to two Mississippi State college students. My dad graduated from there and I always planned to go there from the time I could say the words "Mississippi State". Some time between 17 and 20 things changed in my life and Southern Miss was the right move at the right time. So, I graduated from Southern Miss, but I've always been a diehard Mississippi State fan and always will be. I was born a Bulldog and I'll die a Bulldog, even though I never took a class there.

My kids are Mississippi State fans because I'm a Mississippi State fan and they'll probably never go to school there either because we live in Texas and they currently have no desire to leave. I don't think I'm alone in that distinction.

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Just G5/ mid majors. Always interesting when those programs invest and develop a good program in certain sports

Football - Boise State, Wyoming, Coastal
Basketball - upsets in the tourney
Baseball - Southern Miss, DBU, Campbell, East Carolina

Reactions: Anon1697564126

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I've always kinda pulled for the non-sec schools in Mississippi / Alabama / Tennessee area. I don't follow any of them but if I see they're playing on TV I'll pull for them.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I disagree. Sometimes life happens in a way other than you expect. I was born in Starkville to two Mississippi State college students. My dad graduated from there and I always planned to go there from the time I could say the words "Mississippi State". Some time between 17 and 20 things changed in my life and Southern Miss was the right move at the right time. So, I graduated from Southern Miss, but I've always been a diehard Mississippi State fan and always will be. I was born a Bulldog and I'll die a Bulldog, even though I never took a class there.

My kids are Mississippi State fans because I'm a Mississippi State fan and they'll probably never go to school there either because we live in Texas and they currently have no desire to leave. I don't think I'm alone in that distinction.
But do you also root for USM? I realize now what I wrote is a bit misleading. What I meant was "to attend/graduate from a school and not be a fan of that school at all". I was picturing my freshman year roommate as I typed it. Dude was from MS but was an LSU fan, he attended and graduated from State, but hates State sports and won't root for them in anything because Tiger fan.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't especially root for them, but college football is just better when Notre Dame and/or Miami are good.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
But do you also root for USM? I realize now what I wrote is a bit misleading. What I meant was "to attend/graduate from a school and not be a fan of that school at all". I was picturing my freshman year roommate as I typed it. Dude was from MS but was an LSU fan, he attended and graduated from State, but hates State sports and won't root for them in anything because Tiger fan.
Oh, I get you. No, I don’t root against Southern Miss unless they’re playing Mississippi State. I didn’t really care about their sports one way or another while I was there really (well, except volleyball because I dated a player for a little while, but otherwise, no).

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
t. Dude was from MS but was an LSU fan, he attended and graduated from State, but hates State sports and won't root for them in anything because Tiger fan.
I know of current MSU students that are from Louisiana originally but grew up in Desoto County. The kids (msu students) sat with parents in DWS v LSU, all in purple and gold this past season.

I remember back during the 94 Bama game, a MSU student from Columbus wearing a Bama hat in the student section. His hat got pulled off his head and thrown out of sight by a few people. Ha. Good times.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I find myself pulling for Oregon State and Washington State a lot now. Poor bastards... If the SEC got picked over instead of the PAC 12, no doubt we'd be left in the lurch.

Reactions: Dawgg and jlove20

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Southern Miss — got a degree there
Stanford — used to work there
Duke — kin graduated from there
Land Grant Schools — generally but I could make an exception for Auburn
Comet striking the earth — When Ole Miss plays Bama

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
South Carolina - went to grad school there and my wife went to school there as well/where we met
JMU - worked there
Oakland - worked there
Richmond - worked there
Virginia Tech in football - live in VA now and have been to a few games, great environment and so similar to us
Anyone playing Ole Miss in any sport
I will also cheer against Ohio State and Michigan after living in both states, so anyone playing them

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
Don’t root or make time to watch any other team outside MSU for football and basketball; but I do find the smaller Cali baseball teams (Pepperdine, CSF, UCI, UCSB….etc) fun to watch in the regionals and super regionals.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I enjoy good matchups and upsets regardless of sport.

I follow more NFL than anything else.

The professional teams I follow are from Chicago, where I was born. Bears, Cubs, Bulls, etc..,

There has been discussion of expanding baseball, specifically the major-league baseball teams, to Austin. I am definitely waiting to see what happens with that one.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I find myself pulling for Oregon State and Washington State a lot now. Poor bastards... If the SEC got picked over instead of the PAC 12, no doubt we'd be left in the lurch.
100% Nothing would have made me happier than either of those teams winning the Pac-12 this year.