Women’s Basketball

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Brinks isn't willing to stay. She came out publicly and declared for the WNBA draft and said that she did not want to travel all across the country for her last year. Sorry for the multiple post, I hit the wrong button. But, Brinks is gone.

I do think WNBA faces an issue right now with good to great players coming in. I feel like the stakes are not big enough. MLS faced this initially, and still does. The WNBA really needed juice until the 3-point competition this year. Clark, Reese, eventually Watkins will help push this past the inflection point. I hope for all womens' athletics we can find an audience.
Who said she is staying at Stanford

Freezer

May 16, 2020
Just another race-baiter.
Disagree. . . . Lots of peeps never won a national title and still are in the GOAT Club. Caitlin can't do it all. Basketball is a team sport, last time I looked. To win an NCAA D1 Basketball Championship one needs a terrific starting 5 that work together and a bench to support. . . . It was clear that South Carolina had a great team and a solid bench. . . . . How do you play against Watkins at 6'-7"? She just clogs the middle and puts up those easy 2-3- foot bank shots.

Caitlin Clark is a junior and she is the real, real deal. They came close. A couple too many turnovers and couple of misses and the game's result is IOWA. All in all, a great game.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Disagree. . . . Lots of peeps never won a national title and still are in the GOAT Club. Caitlin can't do it all. Basketball is a team sport, last time I looked. To win an NCAA D1 Basketball Championship one needs a terrific starting 5 that work together and a bench to support. . . . It was clear that South Carolina had a great team and a solid bench. . . . . How do you play against Watkins at 6'-7"? She just clogs the middle and puts up those easy 2-3- foot bank shots.

Caitlin Clark is a junior and she is the real, real deal. They came close. A couple too many turnovers and couple of misses and the game's result is IOWA. All in all, a great game.
Clark was in the unique position of being a GOAT at a mediocre program. Reminds me of Christian McCaffrey. Guy carried the entire program but he wasn't going to beat Alabama.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
You said she may be willing to stay, yes, not specifically at Stanford so this meets your stupid argument. Stop parsing words. She literally said she is leaving and has declared for the draft.
So you are hired as her spokes person. I will take Brinks comments as a well deserved slam on the Pac12, Stanford and Carol Folt for throwing west coast women’s sports under the bus. Maybe she does go to the WNBA. She takes a massive pay cut if she does.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

I never get the "but they never won a championship " way of.thinking.
It is a simpleton notion.
Bad enough in a sport that needs 8 good players but when people.say that **** about football or baseball I will just look at you like the moron you are.

• Wow
Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"The media outlet that asked South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley about transgender athletes in women's basketball applied for a credential for the 2024 WNBA Draft.

The WNBA declined their request.

According to Outkick founder Clay Travis, the WNBA Draft did not give out a credential to his media outlet."

Unbelievable.

• Wow
Reactions: G.Tirebiter
Jan 17, 2024
So you are hired as her spokes person. I will take Brinks comments as a well deserved slam on the Pac12, Stanford and Carol Folt for throwing west coast women’s sports under the bus. Maybe she does go to the WNBA. She takes a massive pay cut if she does.
Ok, so instead of just saying "I was wrong", you doubled down. Brinks did declare for the WNBA contrary to your post. Now you do a stupid "you're hired as her spokes person" when all you had to do is say, yep, I was wrong. She also does not take a massive pay cut. She'll get her $80k-ish for a rookie and will likely still retain her endorsements. Do you think Clark is losing one cent of the State Farm endorsement or the HyVee endorsement? Wow, you really like to just be a real **** head on arguing. You can never admit you are wrong.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Ok, so instead of just saying "I was wrong", you doubled down. Brinks did declare for the WNBA contrary to your post. Now you do a stupid "you're hired as her spokes person" when all you had to do is say, yep, I was wrong. She also does not take a massive pay cut. She'll get her $80k-ish for a rookie and will likely still retain her endorsements. Do you think Clark is losing one cent of the State Farm endorsement or the HyVee endorsement? Wow, you really like to just be a real **** head on arguing. You can never admit you are wrong.
You have an anger issue, remind me what I said was wrong. I said Brinks would make more money staying in college and in particular transferring to UCONN. I said it would seem to be worth it to ESPN to keep some of these big stars in college. Those are facts. $80k. are you serious. Didn't Clarke make something like $21 million in college. Didn't Griner go to Russia to make enough money to survive.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
You have an anger issue, remind me what I said was wrong. I said Brinks would make more money staying in college and in particular transferring to UCONN. I said it would seem to be worth it to ESPN to keep some of these big stars in college. Those are facts. $80k. are you serious. Didn't Clarke make something like $21 million in college. Didn't Griner go to Russia to make enough money to survive.
You sure have gotten cranky since biden’s poll numbers went south. Jeez.

81 million my hairy but.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
You have an anger issue, remind me what I said was wrong.
That she seemed willing to stay in college. She wasn't. Her comment about travel should be taken in the full context of the comment...."I think I’m kind of tired of school. Stanford is no joke. So, as much as I love my coaching staff and my teammates, I don’t want to travel across the country.” She has her degree and it would have been a 5th year anyway. She wasn't willing to stay.
I said Brinks would make more money staying in college and in particular transferring to UCONN.
Where, in this thread, did you mention UCONN? You linked a tik tok of SOUTH CAROLINA coach Staley joking about Brinks transferring there. It was a joke.
I said it would seem to be worth it to ESPN to keep some of these big stars in college. Those are facts. $80k. are you serious. Didn't Clarke make something like $21 million in college. Didn't Griner go to Russia to make enough money to survive.
The talent isn't going away, there are and will continue to be other stars. What was ESPN going to do about it?

Bare minimum rookie pay is just over $64k. For other rookie players, "the maximum annual salary is capped at $208,219. This distinction in maximum salaries caters to the varying levels of experience and performance among rookies, ensuring a fair and competitive compensation structure.....

Exceptional skills and performance levels often lead to negotiations for higher salaries, especially for rookies who demonstrate the potential to become key contributors to their teams' success. The ability to positively impact a team's performance directly correlates with the negotiation of rookie salaries."

Brinks will be making $80k as the #2 player taken today. She isn't entering the league for that. There is base pay and then there are endorsements. Brinks NIL valuation at Furd was over $200k, 9th highest in the country. However, she has deals with New Balance, Buick, Urban Outfitters, ThirdLove, Sprouts, Keurig, Topps, Ritz, Icy Hot, Stanley, Chegg, Celsius just to name a few. NONE of those deals are going to end.

Griner was making $228k salary, not including endorsements. She has a wife, no kids. I'm fairly certain one can do more than survive on $228k+.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Just learned, most WNBA players work side gigs during the off season.

Key part to article: "Most of the league's stars opt to compete overseas with a second team to collect a second, often larger, salary. Others choose to take on media or coaching gigs, work on businesses away from the court, or earn additional income from the WNBA or their franchises through league and team marketing agreements during the offseason.

But boasting several different streams of income to supplement their WNBA salaries can make managing their money far from straightforward."

Click da full article below.

www.businessinsider.com

WNBA salaries max out nearly $865K less than the NBA's lowest contracts. Players lean on side jobs and savvy financial strategies to fill the gap.

Yay, good for them. These side gigs + their WNBA pay helps a lot and turns into a pretty good income. If they are able to land endorsement deals dat's great, but only a small % will land E deals. Shaka🤙very good da league provides health/medical, paid maternity leave and retirement plan benefits.

I love watching WNBA games, it's good stuff.

Last edited:

3rd Slide

Aug 24, 2017

Even Jordan needed Pippin…

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Today, read dat tennis pro, CoCo Gauff, 20 yrs old said if she had continued playing basketball she would have liked to play against & defend Catlin Clark. Gauff's dad was a former collegiate basketball player and started CoCo with basketball at an early age. Gotta laugh, CoCo had nothing better to do but think about this wild fantasy.:LOL:

Eh, CoCo seriously fix your forehand instead of day dreaming

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Today, read dat tennis pro, CoCo Gauff, 20 yrs old said if she had continued playing basketball she would have liked to play against & defend Catlin Clark. Gauff's dad was a former collegiate basketball player and started CoCo with basketball at an early age. Gotta laugh, CoCo had nothing better to do but think about this wild fantasy.:LOL:

Eh, CoCo seriously fix your forehand instead of day dreaming
Because it's so easy to do, right? Clark has gotten hers, regardless of who is in her face.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
University of Southern California women's basketball coach Lindsay Gottlieb -- responsible for rapidly restoring the Trojans into a national powerhouse -- has signed a contract extension that'll take her through 2030, athletic director Jen Cohen announced Friday.

Gottlieb's new deal comes with the Trojans on the cusp of competing for national championships with first-team All-American freshman JuJu Watkins -- the nation's best returning player -- and ESPN's No. 1-rated recruiting class arriving in the fall.

"We couldn't be more excited to extend Lindsay and keep her as a part of the Trojan Family for years to come," Cohen said in a statement. "She has built a program we are extremely proud of and one that has had an incredible impact on our University and entire community.

"Lindsay has led us back to national prominence at a time when the sport is as popular as it's ever been. The future of USC women's basketball is extremely bright and we can't wait to support her and see where we go under her leadership."

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
University of Southern California women's basketball coach Lindsay Gottlieb -- responsible for rapidly restoring the Trojans into a national powerhouse -- has signed a contract extension that'll take her through 2030, athletic director Jen Cohen announced Friday.

Gottlieb's new deal comes with the Trojans on the cusp of competing for national championships with first-team All-American freshman JuJu Watkins -- the nation's best returning player -- and ESPN's No. 1-rated recruiting class arriving in the fall.

"We couldn't be more excited to extend Lindsay and keep her as a part of the Trojan Family for years to come," Cohen said in a statement. "She has built a program we are extremely proud of and one that has had an incredible impact on our University and entire community.

"Lindsay has led us back to national prominence at a time when the sport is as popular as it's ever been. The future of USC women's basketball is extremely bright and we can't wait to support her and see where we go under her leadership."
I was very nervous when I started reading this expecting the worst. 😅

• Haha