Women’s Basketball

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Not wrong. That's what I meant when I said they force low percentage outside shots, I think just to get 3's and build a lead. But they aren't hitting a lot of them. When they take their time to set up, move the ball around, they do much better creating opportunities and working the ball inside. I do think offensive rebounding could improve. I see someone take a shot and 3 of them are already moving down the floor in the other direction.
17 offensive rebounds in the last game. They don't have the 2nd chance points listed, but watching the game, I felt they got a lot of points off of those offensive rebounds.

The only area they did poorly in this last game was shoot free throws.
1711490010607.png

Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Stanford is out. Lost to NC State. Oregon State next up to face Sakerlina. Colorado is facing the Hawkeyes and Caitlin Clark tomorrow, the bruins take on LSWho, and the Women of Troy will see Baylor in the afternoon. If they win, they will face the winner of Duke/UConn.

KANDI11

Aug 24, 2017
Dawn Staley is a great coach. I can’t imagine how good that team would have been had Ju Ju ended up there.
I didn‘t think we had much of a chance if we ended up playing them, but now I think we do. That was when we were struggling and they were crushing teams without their great center Kamilla Cardoso who was playing for the Brazilian National Team.
Not a fan of Staley. She pulled her scheduled game with BYU in 2022 because a Black VB player from Duke claimed that she and other Black players were targeted with racial insults from BYU fans.
Despite a full investigation that found no such evidence of racist taunts and that no other witnesses backed this young lady’s claim, Staley doubled down on her overreaction because the supposed victim did not admit she lied.
Staley had an opportunity to look at the facts and apologize for her actions but didn’t. Yeah not a fan at all.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Stanford is out. Lost to NC State. Oregon State next up to face Sakerlina. Colorado is facing the Hawkeyes and Caitlin Clark tomorrow, the bruins take on LSWho, and the Women of Troy will see Baylor in the afternoon. If they win, they will face the winner of Duke/UConn.
Amazing PAC 12 had 5 teams in Sweet 16. Wow, Oregon St is in the Elite 8 vs South Carolina.

Sweet 16. South Carolina pulled out a close one vs Indiana, 79-75. Texas killed Gonzaga, 69-47 and look very strong. Texas vs NC St in Elite 8 tuff match up, gonna be a very good game. Whoa, LSU vs Iowa dat's gonna be an epic game. Both teams played in da 2023 finals, with LSU winning da title. Bet you putting these 2 teams in da same bracket was by design.

USC vs UConn nice match up. Da Girls should prevail and win a close game.

Shaka🤙this 2024 Women's NC is turning into a Great tournament.

Last edited:

KANDI11

Aug 24, 2017
Amazing PAC 12 had 5 teams in Sweet 16. Wow, Oregon St is in the Elite 8 vs South Carolina.

Sweet 16. South Carolina pulled out a close one vs Nebraska, 79-75. Texas killed Gonzaga, 69-47 and looking very good. Texas vs NC St in Elite 8 tuff match up, gonna be a very good game.

Shaka🤙this 2024 Women's NC is a Great tournament.
S. Carolina played Indiana. Indiana came from way back to within 2pts late in the game but a S. Carolina player hit a 3 and Indiana couldn’t get any closer than 3 points after that.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
S. Carolina played Indiana. Indiana came from way back to within 2pts late in the game but a S. Carolina player hit a 3 and Indiana couldn’t get any closer than 3 points after that.
My Bad, thanxs for the correction. Made the change. Cheers...

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Dang, Baylor is a scrappy, very quick team. Colorado got whipped by Iowa. Caitlin Clark is an awesome player. Smooth, beautiful stroke, near perfect shooting mechanics. UCLA fought hard vs LSU losing by 9 pts. It's down to USC and Oregon St for da PAC 12.

Oh yeah baby, da Girls won a close one, Shaka🤙 JuJu took over in the 2nd half. I have not seen a more polish freshman basketball player. UConn beats Duke and meets USC in da Elite 8.

Last edited:

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
What a great game. Baylor played great too. Them girls was nailing threes to keep them in the game. My only criticism is when we get a double digit lead, we seem to lose our discipline. You saw Baylor continually claw their way back into the game by making the extra pass which we seem to forget about at times.

DP'4'Life

May 11, 2023
Having watched a bunch of Baylor and SC games this year (my daughters attend Baylor,) Baylor played about as well as they could. And SC still has lots of offensive possessions that are nothing but "Iso Juju," but SC continues to find ways to win tough games down the stretch. The key down the stretch IMO was Gottlieb's sub of Williams for Padilla. Jada Walker was starting to hit her stride and speed down the stretch - much like she did in the round of 32 against VTech - and Gottlieb's defensive sub negated Walker's quickness down the stretch. I think SC's length will be a problem for UCONN. If Buekers doesn't go off, I think SC controls the game.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I think SC's length will be a problem for UCONN. If Buekers doesn't go off, I think SC controls the game.
They only have a total of 8 available players. Fresh legs, strong defense, and trying to draw their players into early foul trouble will help. Bueckers is a great player. Overall they lack height so rebounding will also be key.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I've stated my dislike of Coach Mulkey. But when you're right, you're right and yesterday she called out the LA Times for a truly messed up article on the game against ucla.

The writer called it a game of good vs evil. He referred to LSU as "dirty debutantes" which is basically another slang term for crack wh**e. At the same time, the writer referred to ucla as "milk and cookies" and "America's sweethearts".

Not only are those references sexist but they have racist undertones. The Times has edited the story, removing some of those references as they didn't "meet editorial standards".....okay, where was the editing BEFORE the article was released? Absolutely vile. Whether people dislike LSU's style of play and Mulkey's coaching or not, it is never the time to put it in those terms.

And the author was Ben Bolch, Northwestern grad and 24-year ucla beat writer.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Elite 8. 3-31-24 games.

South Carolina #1 (W) vs Oregon St #12, 70-58. Good game. Congrats to Oregon St for an Xlent tournament. Ranked #12 and reaching the Elite 8, well done. Dam, the Final 4 in dis bracket is insane, S.Carolina vs (LSU or Iowa). Dang, dat's like the NC game. Very tuff bracket.

Texas #4 (L) vs N.Carolina St #11, 66-76. Not surprised one bit. In every tournament, there will a lower ranked team dat will have a good run and upset teams. Dat is NC St dis year. Congrats to NC St for making da Final 4. So, it will be between NC St and hopefully USC match up.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Clark and Iowa send LSU home 94-87 behind Clark's 41 points. Reese had 20 rebounds but only managed 17 points before fouling out with just a few minutes left in the game.

No LSU/Sakerlina rematch, thankfully.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Some groveling by the bruin beat writer....

"It has taken me two days to write this apology because I wanted to be as thoughtful as possible in my response to the situation I have created. These are words I have not been asked to write by anyone at my paper, but they need to be expressed so that I can own up to my mistake.

Words matter. As a journalist, no one should know this more than me. Yet I have failed miserably in my choice of words. In my column the LSU-UCLA women's basketball game, I tried to be clever in my phrasing about one team's attitude, using alliteration while not understanding the deeply offensive connotation or associations. I also used metaphors that were not appropriate."

In the third paragraph, Bolch continued on with the actual verbiage of an apology: "I sincerely apologize to the LSU and UCLA basketball teams and to our readers."

Meh. After 24 years in the business, he should have known better but at least he responded.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Juju needs a little help from her teammates. How many missed wide open shots?
Would have loved to see this team make the final 4.
But an elite 8 run was really unexpected when the season started and a great class is coming in next year.
If we can get our bigs to be able to make layups and add a couple more high quality players, they will be right back here next year.

manganate

Aug 24, 2017
Would have loved to see this team make the final 4.
But an elite 8 run was really unexpected when the season started and a great class is coming in next year.
If we can get our bigs to be able to make layups and add a couple more high quality players, they will be right back here next year.
Real tough night for Padilla from range. She missed quite a few that she usually sinks on kick outs and had the unenviable task of chasing Bueckers around early on. Thought Davis and Marshall probably could have kept Aaliyah Edwards off the offensive glass better but she and Bueckers were absolute menaces. Still a great game though.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Congrats to da team, it was a great season. PAC 12 Champs, NC tournment Elite 8, #1 seed in their bracket. Proud how da team came together as a team and played A+ basketball all season. They brought much joy to da fans. Aw, too bad da team loss to UConn, but it was an up and down & close game. Hats off to UConn, they played well and is well coached. I think there were key differences dat got UConn da win.

Bench pts. UConn 11 pts, USC 3 pts. Normally, USC's bench scores on average 10 pts to 14 pts per game.

1st string players USC. Padilla had an off night shooting = 3 pts, normally scores 8 pts. Also, played average D and ball handling. Padilla is da spark of da team, but just did not play her normal game last night. Davis = 3 pts, normally scores 6 pts, but played good D and rebounded well, dat's her game.

USC missed too many easy 1 to 3 feet shots, 23-70 = 33% FG.

Speed and quickness edge to UConn. Next year USC's team speed/quickness will improve mucho with the #1, very athletic class coming in. USC will have fast, quick players next year. Plus, bench scoring will improve mucho, I think something like 16 to 18 pts per game. Next year's class are loaded with A+ scorers.

All da other stats were even.

Fight On and Dbl Shaka🤙 🤙to our 2023/24 Wahines basketball team!

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

"After Iowa defeated LSU 94-87, Mulkey was asked if the Tigers were making some sort of statement by remaining in the locker room during the national anthem. She said she was unaware of when the anthem would be played and that her team was just going through their normal pregame routine.

“Honestly, I don’t even know when the anthem was played,” Mulkey told reporters. “We kind of have a routine where we’re on the floor and then they come off at the 12-minute mark. I don’t know, we come in and we do our pregame stuff. I’m sorry, listen, that’s nothing intentionally done.”

Mulkey is known as very politically conservative. I don't believe she'd use the anthem as any kind of statement.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Congrats to da team, it was a great season. PAC 12 Champs, NC tournment Elite 8, #1 seed in their bracket. Proud how da team came together as a team and played A+ basketball all season. They brought much joy to da fans. Aw, too bad da team loss to UConn, but it was an up and down & close game. Hats off to UConn, they played well and is well coached. I think their were key differences dat got UConn da win.

Bench pts. UConn 11 pts, USC 3 pts. Normally da team bench scores on average 10 pts to 14 pts per game.

1st string players USC. Padilla had an off night shooting = 3 pts, normally scores 8 pts. Also, played average D and ball handling. Padilla is da spark of da team, but just did not play her normal game last night. Davis = 3 pts, normally scores 6 pts, but played good D and rebounded well, dat's her game.

Missed too many easy 1 to 3 feet shots, 23-70 = 33% FG.

Speed and quickness edge to UConn. Next year USC's team speed/quickness will improve mucho with the #1, very athletic class coming in. USC will have fast, quick players next year.

All da other stats were even.

Fight On and Dbl Shaka🤙 🤙to our 2023/24 Wahines basketball team!
Honestly, Padila was off the previous game too. When she was benched our defense and offense both got better.
She looked nervous to me, and was a turnover waiting to happen every time she had the ball.
If the team had the regular season Padilla, that might have been the difference against Ucon. But really, the inability to hit the 1ft shots is a killer.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Honestly, Padila was off the previous game too. When she was benched our defense and offense both got better.
She looked nervous to me, and was a turnover waiting to happen every time she had the ball.
If the team had the regular season Padilla, that might have been the difference against Ucon. But really, the inability to hit the 1ft shots is a killer.
Yeah Bruddah agree, Padilla was nervous as heck. But, da coach must notice it immediately & get players out of their mental funk. Once my long time dbl's tennis partner was in a funk, super nervous, spaced out in da final's of a big tennis tournment. I noticed it, heck I grabbed his shirt and slapped him and said wake up. He snapped out it and played well da rest of match (we won).

In HS our FB and BB coaches would yell, get physical if anyone would get spaced out. They would slap players and get in their face and very loudly say wake up. My teammates woke up.

Coaches and Captains must recognized players and teammates dat are shell shock by all da noise and importance of a game and get them out of their funk...

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
"After Iowa defeated LSU 94-87, Mulkey was asked if the Tigers were making some sort of statement by remaining in the locker room during the national anthem. She said she was unaware of when the anthem would be played and that her team was just going through their normal pregame routine.

“Honestly, I don’t even know when the anthem was played,” Mulkey told reporters. “We kind of have a routine where we’re on the floor and then they come off at the 12-minute mark. I don’t know, we come in and we do our pregame stuff. I’m sorry, listen, that’s nothing intentionally done.”

Mulkey is known as very politically conservative. I don't believe she'd use the anthem as any kind of statement.
Seems to me that the anthem is always played just before the game.. every game. To me her excuse rings hollow. It’s just my feeling she was covering for her team rather than exposing them to further criticism in the press.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Latest posts