Women’s Basketball

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Seems to me that the anthem is always played just before the game.. every game. To me her excuse rings hollow. It’s just my feeling she was covering for her team rather than exposing them to further criticism in the press.
I believe that's a possibility. However, her explanation squares up with their regular routine.

"It's not part of their pregame routine. LSU leaves the court at the 12-minute mark," Bouche said.

Bouche added that LSU Football is not on the field for the national anthem, either. Indeed, teams entirely missing the national anthem is common. Two examples: In the other women's basketball game of the night, Southern California - Connecticut, neither team was present during the national anthem, and neither Iowa nor Michigan's football team was present for the national anthem during the Big Ten championship game this year.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Paul Pierce......

"We saw a White girl in Iowa do it to a bunch of Black girls. That gained my respect," Pierce said on FS1's "Undisputed." "She didn't do this to some other little White girls that was over here in Colorado or whatever. She did this to some girls from LSU, who we thought were dogs, defending champs.

"[She] put them on her knee and spanked them. I didn't expect that."

Wow. Imagine if......

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Paul Pierce......

"We saw a White girl in Iowa do it to a bunch of Black girls. That gained my respect," Pierce said on FS1's "Undisputed." "She didn't do this to some other little White girls that was over here in Colorado or whatever. She did this to some girls from LSU, who we thought were dogs, defending champs.

"[She] put them on her knee and spanked them. I didn't expect that."

Wow. Imagine if......
That’s the first thing I thought and why I didn’t post it. I’d be answering or not answering questions for another week..

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I believe that's a possibility. However, her explanation squares up with their regular routine.

"It's not part of their pregame routine. LSU leaves the court at the 12-minute mark," Bouche said.

Bouche added that LSU Football is not on the field for the national anthem, either. Indeed, teams entirely missing the national anthem is common. Two examples: In the other women's basketball game of the night, Southern California - Connecticut, neither team was present during the national anthem, and neither Iowa nor Michigan's football team was present for the national anthem during the Big Ten championship game this year.

Just as easy that they purposely did this all season. But I see your point, I was just pointing out differing opinions.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Iowa's 94-87 victory over LSU in Monday night's Albany 2 Region final averaged 12.3 million viewers on ESPN, according to Nielsen. Clark scored 41 points as the Hawkeyes avenged last year's loss to the Tigers in the national championship game.

The viewership surpassed the 11.84 million who watched the 1983 NCAA championship game between Southern California and Louisiana Tech. LSU coach Kim Mulkey played for Louisiana Tech and was matched up against USC great Cheryl Miller in that game, which was won by the Trojans 64-58.

There's a full circle moment.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Iowa's 94-87 victory over LSU in Monday night's Albany 2 Region final averaged 12.3 million viewers on ESPN, according to Nielsen. Clark scored 41 points as the Hawkeyes avenged last year's loss to the Tigers in the national championship game.

The viewership surpassed the 11.84 million who watched the 1983 NCAA championship game between Southern California and Louisiana Tech. LSU coach Kim Mulkey played for Louisiana Tech and was matched up against USC great Cheryl Miller in that game, which was won by the Trojans 64-58.

There's a full circle moment.

3rd Slide

Aug 24, 2017

Didn't age well.

Caitlin let her play be her response. 41 points in the elite 8 against the defending champs - that earned EVERYONE's respect.

I'd love to see Angel's sponsorship dollars versus Caitlin's. Personally, I'd prefer that crown over Angel's.

Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I'd love to see Angel's sponsorship dollars versus Caitlin's. Personally, I'd prefer that crown over Angel's.
“I’ve done everything I wanted to in college,” Reese told Vogue Magazine: “I’ve won a national championship, I’ve gotten [Southeastern Conference] Player of the Year, I’ve been an All-American. My ultimate goal is to be a pro—and to be one of the greatest basketball players to play, ever. I feel like I’m ready.”

“I’ve honestly learned that regardless [of my choice] I’m going to be able to make money staying or going,” Reese said on March 21. “Understanding that my brand has been built where I know I can take it past college. Like I have a brand outside of here where the deals are going to follow me if I leave or stay. And I’ve built that relationship with a lot of these brands. And I think that’s the difference. Like my Reebok deal, and I’m sure Hailey’s Adidas deal, that’s going to go on past college. Of course we may not have the same benefits of the same training rooms, the commercial flights and stuff like that. And I think that’s the con of everything, but you have to make a sacrifice.”

She is also one of college sports’ biggest NIL success stories. She has a massive list of partnerships, including major brands like Tampax, Airbnb, Amazon, PlayStation, Starry, Raising Cane’s, Intuit TurboTax, Sonic, Coach and numerous others. Along with the Beats by Dre partnerships, she’s also promoted other audio equipment companies in the past such as Bose and JanSport.

Reese signed her first sneaker deal with Reebok this past October. That deal is a multi-year partnership, which came after the brand brought on Shaquille O’Neal as president of Reebok basketball. Shaq dubbed Reese the “greatest athlete” to ever come out of LSU.

With more than 5.2 million social media followers, Reese has the highest On3 NIL Valuation in women’s college basketball. The $1.7 million valuation is No. 7 on the On3 NIL 100 and ranks behind only LSU gymnast Livvy Dunne in women’s sports."

Taking a current look at that valuation list, Bronny is #1. I'm sure the $$ will follow him wherever he transfers. Clark is listed at #4 with 1.7M social media followers (Reese now has 6M) and $3.2M in deals. Considering Clark has less than 1/3 the amount of followers but twice the money, I'd say she's doing quite well but Reese isn't poor.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
And in comes Kamala with a failed attempt at slinging "equality".

Thursday, Vice President Kamala Harris mistakenly claimed that women’s college basketball players had not enjoyed the benefits of tournament brackets until just last year, 2022.

"Do you know? Okay, a bit of a history lesson. Do you know that women were not. The women’s teams were not allowed to have brackets until 2022. Think about that. And what? That. Talk about progress. You know better late than never, but progress and what that has done. Because of course, when, you know, I had a bracket and it’s not broken completely, but I won’t talk about my bracket. But you know, just how we love we love March Madness. And even just now allowing the women to have brackets and what that does to encourage people to talk more about the women’s teams, to watch them now they’re being covered, you know, and and this is the reality people used to say are women’s sports. Who’s interested? Well, if you can’t see it, you won’t be. But when you see it, you realize, oh."

Finished off with her special type of word salad. The thing is, tournament brackets have long been a fixture of the NCAA women’s basketball postseason, but the “March Madness” copyright was only extended to the women last year." And dumbazz should know that because, well.....she filled one out in 2021 and posted it on Twitter.

If she really wants to talk about "progress", let's talk about the women who have been replaced on teams, platforms, medal ceremonies, and prize money by biological males.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
And in comes Kamala with a failed attempt at slinging "equality".

Thursday, Vice President Kamala Harris mistakenly claimed that women’s college basketball players had not enjoyed the benefits of tournament brackets until just last year, 2022.

"Do you know? Okay, a bit of a history lesson. Do you know that women were not. The women’s teams were not allowed to have brackets until 2022. Think about that. And what? That. Talk about progress. You know better late than never, but progress and what that has done. Because of course, when, you know, I had a bracket and it’s not broken completely, but I won’t talk about my bracket. But you know, just how we love we love March Madness. And even just now allowing the women to have brackets and what that does to encourage people to talk more about the women’s teams, to watch them now they’re being covered, you know, and and this is the reality people used to say are women’s sports. Who’s interested? Well, if you can’t see it, you won’t be. But when you see it, you realize, oh."

Finished off with her special type of word salad. The thing is, tournament brackets have long been a fixture of the NCAA women’s basketball postseason, but the “March Madness” copyright was only extended to the women last year." And dumbazz should know that because, well.....she filled one out in 2021 and posted it on Twitter.

If she really wants to talk about "progress", let's talk about the women who have been replaced on teams, platforms, medal ceremonies, and prize money by biological males.
Can you even imagine if this woman becomes POTUS?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"South Carolina women's basketball head coach Dawn Staley agreed with ex-UConn star Breanna Stewart that Caitlin Clark needs to win a national championship to enter the greatest-of-all-time discussion in the NCAA.

Stewart's comments before her alma matter faced Iowa in the Final Four drew the ire of Hawkeyes fans, and so too might Staley's affirmation.

"Yeah. She does [need to win a title to be considered one of the greats]," Stewart said. "I think so. ... Because then, you're gonna look 10 years back and you're gonna see all the records she's broken and the points and stuff like that. But anybody knows your goal when you play college basketball is to win a national championship. So, you need one."

I find these comments so lame. I wonder if Stewart has any change of heart after last night although I doubt it since she'll probably spend the next 10 years whining about the screen call. Plus, she's likely all-in on claiming GOAT discussion status for Bueckers.

Larry Bird never won a title with Indiana State. Is he not considered one of the greats? Tim Duncan, Shaq, David Robinson, Hank Gathers....they didn't even get to the Final Four. They were ALL great. Heck Gonzaga is clearly one of the great teams over a period of time.....NO championship.....hello John Stockton and Adam Morrison.

Staley has made it clear what she thinks of Clark.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
"South Carolina women's basketball head coach Dawn Staley agreed with ex-UConn star Breanna Stewart that Caitlin Clark needs to win a national championship to enter the greatest-of-all-time discussion in the NCAA.

Stewart's comments before her alma matter faced Iowa in the Final Four drew the ire of Hawkeyes fans, and so too might Staley's affirmation.

"Yeah. She does [need to win a title to be considered one of the greats]," Stewart said. "I think so. ... Because then, you're gonna look 10 years back and you're gonna see all the records she's broken and the points and stuff like that. But anybody knows your goal when you play college basketball is to win a national championship. So, you need one."

I find these comments so lame. I wonder if Stewart has any change of heart after last night although I doubt it since she'll probably spend the next 10 years whining about the screen call. Plus, she's likely all-in on claiming GOAT discussion status for Bueckers.

Larry Bird never won a title with Indiana State. Is he not considered one of the greats? Tim Duncan, Shaq, David Robinson, Hank Gathers....they didn't even get to the Final Four. They were ALL great. Heck Gonzaga is clearly one of the great teams over a period of time.....NO championship.....hello John Stockton and Adam Morrison.

• Wow
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

DP'4'Life

May 11, 2023

Just another race-baiter.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"Clark and Bueckers' battle drew 17 million viewers at its peak, making it the most-watched NCAA women's basketball game of all time, according to ESPN PR. What's more, Iowa and UConn's Final Four meeting had the highest audience for any basketball game in ESPN's history.

It was also the second-best non-football telecast ever and was the most-viewed college event in ESPN+'s history. Overall, the game drew in 14.2 million viewers on ESPN, which led Barstool founder Dave Portnoy to give Clark her flowers for the immense draw she has become for women's college basketball."

• Love
Reactions: Freezer

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

So then we'll draw a line in the scoring sand for Before and After the 3 point shot. And also Before and After the shot clock. And Before and After the change in ball size. Somebody better get to JuJu and tell her not to bother, it won't count in Woodard's eye.

And just one month ago, Woodard said-

"Just the excitement surrounding (the record), it’s so beautiful for me. I think records are made to be broken. One day, it’s going to happen again. I’m glad to be a part of it […]

(She) is drawing in so many different people from different walks of life. Not just the sporting world, not just the fans, but I guarantee you every household out her knows Caitlin Clark’s name […]

I stepped outside of my door (and) I had to smile. There was a young girl across the street – little bitty thing, dribbling with two hands, just bent over the ball. To see her with the basketball in her hand – those are the seeds that are being planted right now and it’s a beautiful thing."

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
In the era of the transfer portal, how did Iowa not get a couple better players? That looked like Patrick Mahomes being on San Jose State trying to beat Alabama.

• Sad
Reactions: Freezer
Jan 17, 2024

She won't, and Whitlock is a complete idiot. She is dating the son of the former Iowa coach McCaffery who works for the Pacers. This is a perfect set up, plus she'll keep all of the endorsements she already has...that $20MM in NIL is not going anywhere. State Farm will not drop her, HyVee (midwestern grocery) won't drop her, etc. The $80k rookie salary will be spending money.

• Wow
Reactions: Freezer and Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
She won't, and Whitlock is a complete idiot. She is dating the son of the former Iowa coach McCaffery who works for the Pacers. This is a perfect set up, plus she'll keep all of the endorsements she already has...that $20MM in NIL is not going anywhere. State Farm will not drop her, HyVee (midwestern grocery) won't drop her, etc. The $80k rookie salary will be spending money.
She’d make more in Europe..

Jan 17, 2024
She’d make more in Europe..
From a basketball perspective, yes. From a total payout, I'm not sure. If she leaves the US, will all of her sponsors follow? Probably not. Again, she is heading to the place her boyfriend lives and works and can afford a really good life for not that much money. Either way, she'll make a poop ton of money and a million here or a million there is irrelevant and just us keyboard warriors spending someone else's money.

Jan 17, 2024
From a basketball perspective, yes. From a total payout, I'm not sure. If she leaves the US, will all of her sponsors follow? Probably not. Again, she is heading to the place her boyfriend lives and works and can afford a really good life for not that much money. Either way, she'll make a poop ton of money and a million here or a million there is irrelevant and just us keyboard warriors spending someone else's money.

No one watches the WNBA. Wonder if ESPN throws out some cash. Brinks seems willing to stay.
Brinks isn't willing to stay. She came out publicly and declared for the WNBA draft and said that she did not want to travel all across the country for her last year. Sorry for the multiple post, I hit the wrong button. But, Brinks is gone.

I do think WNBA faces an issue right now with good to great players coming in. I feel like the stakes are not big enough. MLS faced this initially, and still does. The WNBA really needed juice until the 3-point competition this year. Clark, Reese, eventually Watkins will help push this past the inflection point. I hope for all womens' athletics we can find an audience.