Wordle thread

Dec 4, 2001
5,919
19,303
113
Interesting. I use a start word ending in E and play hard mode exclusively. I've definitely put myself into the situation you describe many times. Might be time to change starting words.
Yeah, the same letters make TASER and STARE and TEARS. TEARS is no good because it is plural, and then I don't like STARE because of ending in E. But like I said, there are better players than me so take it for what it's worth.
 

longliveCS40

All-American
Oct 25, 2002
2,108
8,404
113
Yeah, the same letters make TASER and STARE and TEARS. TEARS is no good because it is plural, and then I don't like STARE because of ending in E. But like I said, there are better players than me so take it for what it's worth.
I switched to Adieu for a time but did worse. I think I just didn't stick with it long enough.
 

Praguehawk

All-Conference
Aug 1, 2003
1,135
3,770
113
The thing is that this is supposed to be fun and we have always had a gentleman's/gentlewoman's agreement of no cheating. I mean, what is the point of this other than to have fun? To that end, I like seeing how well other people can do and seeing how I can improve my strategy, which is clearly not as good as others. Here is how I do it:

  1. I always start with TASER on hard mode.
  2. If I have no letters yellow or green, I guess "DOUGH". Otherwise, I try to pick a second word with as many unique common letters that fit with the results of guess 1.
  3. If I somehow whiff on having any letters after two guesses, I pick "CLIMB". Otherwise, I try to pick a third word with as many unique common letters that fit with the results of guesses 1 and 2.
  4. For the par shot, this is typically where I will double up on letters such as DD in BUDDY, if it makes sense.
  5. For bogey, I usually kick one of my dogs first, and then make the best pick available.
  6. For double bogey, I kick my other dog first, and then make my pick and hope my streak does not end.
I start with Teams.
If no letters it is irony
my scores suck so need to rethink this.
 

NDallasRuss

Heisman
Jun 2, 2025
2,663
11,194
113
The thing is that this is supposed to be fun and we have always had a gentleman's/gentlewoman's agreement of no cheating. I mean, what is the point of this other than to have fun? To that end, I like seeing how well other people can do and seeing how I can improve my strategy, which is clearly not as good as others. Here is how I do it:

  1. I always start with TASER on hard mode.
  2. If I have no letters yellow or green, I guess "DOUGH". Otherwise, I try to pick a second word with as many unique common letters that fit with the results of guess 1.
  3. If I somehow whiff on having any letters after two guesses, I pick "CLIMB". Otherwise, I try to pick a third word with as many unique common letters that fit with the results of guesses 1 and 2.
  4. For the par shot, this is typically where I will double up on letters such as DD in BUDDY, if it makes sense.
  5. For bogey, I usually kick one of my dogs first, and then make the best pick available.
  6. For double bogey, I kick my other dog first, and then make my pick and hope my streak does not end.
I'm pretty much the same, but I don't have access to your dogs. And I probably wait an extra turn to try double letters, if I can help it.

I've long understood that my style of play is really geared towards pars - pretty low risk, low reward. I voluntarily stick w hard mode and only abandon if a) it's too early in the morning and I mess up, or b) if I get to the 5th guess and I'm still lost.
 

longliveCS40

All-American
Oct 25, 2002
2,108
8,404
113
I start with Teams.
If no letters it is irony
my scores suck so need to rethink this.
Since plural words are never the answer, switching to STEAM would use the same letters and give you a chance at an ace. Additionally, a chance for letter position 5 to be correct. If nothing hits you can still use your current fallback second guess.
 

hawkeyetraveler

Heisman
Aug 10, 2010
6,686
26,472
108
I use STARE as a starter. If no letters hit I often use CLOUD. Gives me most vowels and most of the popular consonants in the first two.

But I don’t play on hard mode because I feel it takes skill to sometimes burn letters to narrow down options when you get those killer patterns with many possible words.
 
Dec 4, 2001
5,919
19,303
113
I guess TEARS isn't plural if it's the verb where you're ripping something apart. πŸ€”
Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends
 
Tiger Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 Tiger Illustrated Football Recruiting Top 20 national recruit raves about Clemson visit
  2. 02 Tiger Illustrated Football Recruiting Clemson Football Roster & Recruiting Big Board: Cornerback
  3. 03 Tiger Illustrated Football Recruiting The time for Clemson's front office to start working on 2027 roster management is here
  4. 04 Tiger Illustrated Football Recruiting Xander Edwards on Clemson visit: 'They treated me like a priority'
  5. 05 Tiger Illustrated Football TUESDAY CLEMSON FOOTBALL INTERVIEWS: Matt Luke, Will Heldt, Tyler Brown, Olsen Patt-Henry & Sammy Brown