WOW!!! Poor Virginia Tech Men's Basketball Team: Lost all 5 starters to Portal & Graduation

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
This portal is not good for college athletics. Transfer once ok. The rest sit for 2 years!!!

Why would any coach want to coach in this environment? Yes, the salary is good but you can't build a team with loyalty anymore.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
This portal is not good for college athletics. Transfer once ok. The rest sit for 2 years!!!

Why would any coach want to coach in this environment? Yes, the salary is good but you can't build a team with loyalty anymore.
That's impossible, the portal and NIL are the best thing to ever happen to college sports. Agree, wouldn't want to be a coach these days. As I heard this morning on TV this morning. Coaches have no free time, they are spending their off-season recruiting the players already on their team. Sad

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
The genie is out of the bottle with the Transfer Portal and NIL. College Athletics will never be about loyalty again if it ever was. The only thing you can really hope for is that the situation becomes regulated to a degree where you can have some roster certainty.

Reactions: CWW

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
If you transfer to another school, you must repay NIL money from the prior school might slow it down.

Reactions: CWW

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
So…. When you changed jobs you paid an exit fee to your employer?
No, but my new employer did - bought me out of a noncompete. So, I guess the way around it is for the new school to pay back the NIL for the transfer. There's always a workaround.

Reactions: KingWard

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
That's impossible, the portal and NIL are the best thing to ever happen to college sports. Agree, wouldn't want to be a coach these days. As I heard this morning on TV this morning. Coaches have no free time, they are spending their off-season recruiting the players already on their team. Sad
How is that good for the fans? Fans buy season tickets. If you lose your whole roster before the season begins, how is that good for me who had an expectation that I would see a competitive group? Should fans continue to invest in college sports? Fans also support scholarships...why invest in athletes who are not serious about my school or the education that my school offers?

How is the NIL and portal the best thing to ever happen?

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
How is that good for the fans? Fans buy season tickets. If you lose your whole roster before the season begins, how is that good for me who had an expectation that I would see a competitive group? Should fans continue to invest in college sports? Fans also support scholarships...why invest in athletes who are not serious about my school or the education that my school offers?

How is the NIL and portal the best thing to ever happen?
You missed my sarcasm! I am in full agreement with you, but everybody has to make their own decision. I quit my donations to the GC club, as did several of my friends, for the reasons you stated, and others. It's a personal choice and to each their own. Some like the pay-for-play and portal nonsense, the farm team leagues, not for me. I am down to just watching a few baseball games at this point, and I was as big a fan of most USC sports as there ever was; it's taken a while to "detox" from spending so much time watching and attending sports, but it has its advantages (more family time, fishing, hunting, and other hobbies). The NIL/Portal/Pay-for-play has only just begun, within a few years college sports will be completely changed to where the athletes are employees of the universities and will have agents, contracts, and of course lawsuits, all of it, too much BS and chaos for me, sick of hearing about it. I watch sports to get away from the craziness all around us, and now it has taken over college athletics. Seems like the cost for fans for tickets, etc., would ultimately have to increase, we will see. But I've been around a long time, and I've had a lot of fun pulling for USC over the years, my alma mater, it's bittersweet watching it all being destroyed, at least from my point of view. Others will join in and support it, and it will become more and more like pro sports every year, I quit watching them years ago. I still wish all the GC teams the best though.

Reactions: Cackmandu

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

If you transfer to another school, you must repay NIL money from the prior school might slow it down.
That would entirely depend on the contract that was signed, if the terms are for one year, then they would be free to test the open market.

Last edited:

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022

That would entirely depend on the contract that was signed, if the terms for one year, then they would be free to test the open market.
True.
Contracts could be drawn to have all kinds of restrictions like exit clauses/recovery fees, non-competes, etc.
Lots of things could be done to limit movement but it would require some standards among NIL contracts with unanimous participation. But of course, there would be legal challenges.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
True.
Contracts could be drawn to have all kinds of restrictions like exit clauses/recovery fees, non-competes, etc.
Lots of things could be done to limit movement but it would require some standards among NIL contracts with unanimous participation. But of course, there would be legal challenges.
It could also work that the NIL contract issuer may not want to be beholden more than one year to certain players.

USMC1974

Feb 28, 2024
My thought processes on this are a galaxy apart from modern day players. I attended the University of South Carolina to earn a degree to make myself more marketable for decent paying jobs.The players today who transfer to other schools, sometimes multiple times, are making little or any progress toward a degree, except for those graduate transfers who already have a sheepskin in hand.
There are only a few new openings on WNBA rosters each year. There are limited playing opportunities overseas. Just hope they are getting good advice that will help them assimilate to adulthood. My sense is that CDS does an excellent job in helping players make these decisions, and for that I am thankful… one more reason to be proud of my alma mater.

Latest posts