Zoysia Plugs

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
Has anyone ever used Zoysia plugs? My front yard needs some help, but I don't want to drop a few thousand on sod. I was thinking about doing some plugs this summer and some plugs next summer. I'm in no rush, but I don't want to go through the work of getting them in the ground if they are just going to die and/or take forever to spread. Any thoughts?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Has anyone ever used Zoysia plugs? My front yard needs some help, but I don't want to drop a few thousand on sod. I was thinking about doing some plugs this summer and some plugs next summer. I'm in no rush, but I don't want to go through the work of getting them in the ground if they are just going to die and/or take forever to spread. Any thoughts?
Just get it sodded and be done with it.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Ours didn't take. We probably put out less than a hundred plugs over about 30 square feet, just trying to get a shade-friendly grass in a spot where tree cover had done in our original Bermuda. They stayed green through the summer, but didn't come back the next spring.
Meanwhile, about twenty feet away, a spot that started through nature-driven spreading via bird/deer visiting our neighbors is growing just fine.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
I put a pallet of Jamur Zoysiagrass in my backyard to replace some St. Augustine that had been hurt by large patch and cinch bugs. Over the ensuing 10 years it has taken over the rest of my back yard and keeps moving. I find the key to zoysia is moderation. If you are willing to play the long game plugs will get you there. Plant this time of year when the rains will keep them watered but do water if we go for more than a week without rain. Maybe 1/2 lb of N per month from a soluble source. Pull a soil test for other nutrients and pH. There are lots of great vegatatively propagated cultivars, Zeon, Zorro, Palisades, Innovation are all newer and more aggressive cultivars. Meyer is an old slow growing cultivar. Lobo is a new cultivar that I am not sure you can find in MS but it does very well with limited inputs.

If you you are doing this yourself keep in mind there are about 450 sq ft in a pallet of sod, If you are going to cut that into 4 in x 4 in or 6 in x 6 in plugs it will take some labor. You might be able to just place slabs of sod and let them grow together. If you are going to hire some one to plug the area with a plugger it may approach the cost of sod. In general sod is a pretty good deal - instant grass.

There are no seeded cultivars available that worth a hoot at this time and seed it hard to find.

Reactions: dawgflo

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don't plug Zoysia unless you are young and plan to be in your house a long time....it'll take that long to fill in.
I bought Empire Zoysia from these folks and sodded it myself. It took off and never looked back.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I thought this was about these plugs

angry show GIF by South Park

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Have to agree with goat on this one, he and baseball are spot on. Zoysia is a very slow growing grass when it comes to spreading and filling in. And cutting a yard full of plugs will be a bumpy, dusty experience in the dry summer months, unless you dress around the plugs with a tri-axle truck load of sand. I’d sod, or seed.
Seeding, however, is very tricky, and if you don’t sow seeds correctly and baby it for a couple months=fool’s errand. And I haven’t been able to find the Empire breed Zoysia seeds for sale anywhere.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Zoysia grows slowly, so I wouldn't do plugs. Sod it or don't mess with it.
Goat's right (he knows I seldom say that) but plugs are definitely slow, looks like this for a long time before it looks like the rest of the yard:

1713884696956.png

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
Have to agree with goat on this one, he and baseball are spot on. Zoysia is a very slow growing grass when it comes to spreading and filling in. And cutting a yard full of plugs will be a bumpy, dusty experience in the dry summer months, unless you dress around the plugs with a tri-axle truck load of sand. I’d sod, or seed.
Seeding, however, is very tricky, and if you don’t sow seeds correctly and baby it for a couple months=fool’s errand. And I haven’t been able to find the Empire breed Zoysia seeds for sale anywhere.
Empire and all of the good turf zoysiagrasses are only propagated by sod or plugs. They do produce seed but not much and what is produced does not germinate well. Although known as a slow growing grass the newer zoysias grow much faster than Meyer and plugging is a reasonable option. Sod farms go from plugs to harvestable grass in about 18 - 24 months - maybe a bit faster further south. This is why zoysia sod costs more than bermudagrass.

Dec 9, 2018
Don't know where you are located, but if in Mississippi, you should talk to Sansing sod farm in Maben. Same folks as Sansing meat market. There is a Facebook page for Sansing Sod farm. I just looked at it.

When we built out retirement home about several years ago, they provided Palisade Zoysia. We sodded the banks and slopes and plugged the rest. About 3/4 acre total. After one growing season, plugged part was about 85% covered. By July the second year it was totally covered. Sansing told me they plug 20 acres at a time. It is ready to harvest in 2 years. So I don't consider that slow growing. Choked out most of the weeds, even Bahai grass, with a little help from MSMA. Will even grow in dappled shade. It looks a lot like Centipede, but a lot hardier. Cost me about $6000, but again, this was several years ago.

I can't say enough good things about the Sansing folks. And as far as I am concerned, Palisade is a wonder grass.

Anon1690211352

Jul 24, 2023
I got a lot of personal experience. Go for it. it’s a labor of love. If you’re not that person it’ll never work. Sod it. new Synerga called recognition + fusillade made the job much easier to succeed. Quickly identifies your weak spot by killing off existing 419
I had 419 3 years ago and started the transformation by plugs to geo zoysia. Well pleased

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: