Skip to main content

Michigan State suspends four additional players for tunnel altercation vs Michigan, brings total to eight

James Fletcher IIIby:James Fletcher III11/01/22

jdfletch3

Michigan State football suspended four additional players for their role in the tunnel altercation which injured multiple Michigan players and has led to a lawsuit. In a joint statement, head coach Mel Tucker and athletic director Alan Haller announced Malcolm Jones, Justin White, Jacoby Windmon and Brandon Wright had been added to the list of punished players.

The four new faces join Tank BrownKhary CrumpAngelo Grose and Zion Young , bringing the total to eight suspensions stemming from the incident. In the latest press release, Michigan State shared that they will continue working with authorities as the investigation moves forward and details emerge.

“We are transparently working with law enforcement and the Big Ten Conference to evaluate additional facts and evidence surrounding the event in Ann Arbor,” the statement reads. “We will continue to take appropriate action in this matter as we learn more. The student-athlete suspensions will remain in place until the investigations are complete.”

More on Michigan State suspensions

After video surfaced of a brawl involving multiple Michigan State players and two separate Michigan players, the Spartans leadership put out a statement and suspended the initial four players indefinitely.

“Michigan State University football core values include integrity, discipline, unselfishness, toughness and accountability,” coach Mel Tucker said in a statement. “After reviewing the disturbing electronic evidence collected to date of the altercations between Michigan State and University of Michigan student-athletes on Oct. 29, 2022, we are suspending Tank Brown, Khary Crump, Angelo Grose and Zion Young effective immediately.”

Tucker added that the investigation is still ongoing and more suspensions could come, but for now those four players will remain suspended until the investigation is complete.

“We are currently working with law enforcement, Michigan State and Michigan campus leadership, and the Big Ten Conference to further evaluate the events in Ann Arbor, including but not limited to additional student-athlete participation in the altercations and contributing factors. The initial student-athlete suspensions will remain in place until the investigations are completed.”

It all began with the Wolverines defeating the Spartans 29-7 on Saturday. Afterward, multiple Michigan State players were caught on video fighting with what appeared to be a lone Michigan player in the tunnel.

Speaking with the media later in the night as the video made it around the news, Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh said two of his players were “assaulted” during the altercation.

A second video surfaced Sunday afternoon via Twitter, this one featuring the second player Harbaugh mentioned, along with a heightened level of violence, as well.