2021-22 Sixers Thread

JoeJoeJoe

Nov 24, 2021
Not to start a new thread but I just wanted to say how much I respect the Ball brothers in regards to how they work to improve their games. LaMelo had an awesome game against Milwaukee yesterday, which prompted this post.

Lonzo Ball’s 3-point shooting percentages year-to-year: .305, .329, .375, .378, .444. Free throws: .451, .417, .566, .781, .750.

LaMelo Ball’s 3-pt: .352, .391. Free throws: .748, .900.

These two work hard to improve. It’s admirable to see how seriously they take their games. (Yes, this whole thing was a veiled shot at Simmons.)
How novel? Players working to improve game. That’s why I love to watch and root for Maxey. The guy can play and works hard as heck to get better.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
How novel? Players working to improve game. That’s why I love to watch and root for Maxey. The guy can play and works hard as heck to get better.
You’re correct. The only reason my post might be noteworthy is that Simmons is one of the biggest outliers on this subject that I’ve ever seen (up there with Chris Washburn).

I keep going back to this: any good athlete can learn to shoot competently. I don’t think I’m going out on a limb by saying that Simmons’ lack of improvement in shooting is due to his just not wanting to be coached. If he could shoot, say .375 from 3 and .700 from the line, he’d definitely be considered one of the greatest ever. He doesn’t seem to want that. Hell, every night you get two or three players who made more threes in one game than Simmons has made in his entire career.

Remember Lonzo Ball’s ugly asymmetrical shot when he first came up? His father taught him that and he ditched it and is now shooting .444 from 3. If he were Ben Simmons, he’d still be shooting that ugly, inefficient shot.

Apologies for hijacking the thread. I’m sure y’all have had your fill of Ben Simmons stories. It’s just that LaMelo lit it up last night and I started looking at some stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeJoeJoe

JoeJoeJoe

Nov 24, 2021
You’re correct. The only reason my post might be noteworthy is that Simmons is one of the biggest outliers on this subject that I’ve ever seen (up there with Chris Washburn).

I keep going back to this: any good athlete can learn to shoot competently. I don’t think I’m going out on a limb by saying that Simmons’ lack of improvement in shooting is due to his just not wanting to be coached. If he could shoot, say .375 from 3 and .700 from the line, he’d definitely be considered one of the greatest ever. He doesn’t seem to want that. Hell, every night you get two or three players who made more threes in one game than Simmons has made in his entire career.

Remember Lonzo Ball’s ugly asymmetrical shot when he first came up? His father taught him that and he ditched it and is now shooting .444 from 3. If he were Ben Simmons, he’d still be shooting that ugly, inefficient shot.
There have been some ugly looking shots (Shawn Marion) but that didn’t prevent many from shooting. Jonas Valancunis just went 7/7 from three the other night in the first half of his game. He didn’t shoot outside 5 feet his first half of career and wasn’t expected to do so. Point is, shooting is a basic in basketball. Whether you do it well or not, it is still something that you do when you pick up a basketball. To purposely avoid doing so at any point, is mind-blowing. Nod to the Washburn reference. Simmons just wants everything to look good. Clothes, cars, passes, defense, etc. If anything is not great, he doesn’t want to do it. Free throws, shooting, effort, etc. Oh well.
Last thing, I am frustrated with Tobias but he is playing out of his efficiency hierarchy. If he is the 3/4 option, he is a solid player. When counted on to be a crucial part of offense, we get what we are seeing. Extreme apprehension.

Reactions: LionJim

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
It is criminal that Isiah Joe doesn’t get minutes.
I was saying the same thing. It’s insane he doesn’t get more run. But that falls in line with Doc’s old guy mentality. If you aren’t a vet you get Zero run unless the team is ravaged by injuries. I haven’t been able to watch the Sixers as much as I would like this year but every time I do, Danny Green is a complete Non factor. Not having Ben on the floor has rendered him useless. On another note, I wish they could not only trade Ben but also Tobias. He’s good at $17-$20 million. At $36 million he’s basically a financial anchor around this teams neck given his production. Morey needs to work his magic ala Horford.

JoeJoeJoe

Nov 24, 2021
I was saying the same thing. It’s insane he doesn’t get more run. But that falls in line with Doc’s old guy mentality. If you aren’t a vet you get Zero run unless the team is ravaged by injuries. I haven’t been able to watch the Sixers as much as I would like this year but every time I do, Danny Green is a complete Non factor. Not having Ben on the floor has rendered him useless. On another note, I wish they could not only trade Ben but also Tobias. He’s good at $17-$20 million. At $36 million he’s basically a financial anchor around this teams neck given his production. Morey needs to work his magic ala Horford.
Tobias is valuable for a 3/4 option. But not at $36 a year. Danny has some defensive value and unfortunately may be our second best rebounder at any given time on the floor. That is not a testament to Danny; it’s an indictment on the roster. I have some hope for Morey to do the best for the team whether that is soon or in the off-season.

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
If anyone is curious, a player making $2.6 Million, a player making $1.8 Million, and a player making $980,000 scored as much or more than a player making $36 Million.

JoeJoeJoe

Nov 24, 2021
If anyone is curious, a player making $2.6 Million, a player making $1.8 Million, and a player making $980,000 scored as much or more than a player making $36 Million.
It appears like Doc is frustrated with Tobias and Tobias seems to be less engaged. It could be trade rumors or he could still be struggling with return from COVID. I think they are featuring him less in the offense also. His contract is pretty awful but not as bad as Wall’s! Silver linings!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
a frustrating end of the game. I disagreed with the charge call on Tobias. Oh well.

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
Sixers lose. Sad thing is I really don’t care at this point. Whether it’s the Simmons situation, the Covid stretch, or not knowing day to day who’s gonna play with injuries I just have zero interest right now. I don’t care when the win against one of the best teams like they did Saturday or if they lose 3 straight to teams who are severely undermanned. This team just seems lost right now. I am wondering if they even try to move Simmons this year. They look like a playin team at best right now. Morey has his work cut out for him. This team needs a ton of help and I’m not sure how he does it.

Tobias…another 11 point monster performance on 3-17 shooting. Simply amazing

K-Live

Oct 6, 2021
Not sure what is going on with this team right now. I love Embed but he still continues to flail and hit the deck waaay too much. Curry needs to channel his older brother more and hit shots more consistently. Harris has not played like a 30+ million dollar player (pre or post covid), disappears at times then misses too many 1:1 shots from 2 ft. Green is also way too inconsistent in his 3pt. shooting. What has happened to Furkan Korkmaz? More inconsistent shooting. I am hoping this is just a funky stretch and they get back to where they appeared to be in the first 10-15 games of the season, but right now, the play of everyone is much too inconsistent. Maybe Covid/Flu is having a bigger impact that we know. Oh, and Isaiah Joe needs to play more.

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
I’ll be curious to see if they can’t move Simmons for someone they value by Feb 10 if they stealth tank. The team as constructed isn’t going anywhere so why waste Embiid the rest of the year? Shut Embiid down with a “knee”. Worked pretty well for Golden State. Move Tobias for good pieces and Simmons for a Harden sign and trade and go after it in 2023.

They are fighting tooth and nail to barely beat teams that are decimated by Covid and injuries.

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
Nice win for the guys to close out the year. Embiid is playing great now, the whole team has been through COVID so that should be behind them. Maxey playing really well. Biges disappointment is Harris, I know he is overpaid, but he is usually better than he has been this year...he needs to pick it up a bit and then Morey needs to complete the BS trade and hopefully the Sixers can be legit contenders.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Nice win for the guys to close out the year. Embiid is playing great now, the whole team has been through COVID so that should be behind them. Maxey playing really well. Biges disappointment is Harris, I know he is overpaid, but he is usually better than he has been this year...he needs to pick it up a bit and then Morey needs to complete the BS trade and hopefully the Sixers can be legit contenders.
I watched the last quarter. Good game. Maxey always fun to watch.

Latest posts