2022-23 Portal Thread

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
Who wants to make a bet with me? Right now other than fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth year graduating players, there’s the one time exemption where players can enter the portal and be immediately eligible. I’ll bet you that next year some kid sues saying that the one time exception is unfair, discriminatory, unduly restrictive, Un American or all of the above. And the NCAA folds causing two or three times as many portal entrants.
You are 100% spot on @Tom_PSU

Reactions: PSUFTG

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Who wants to make a bet with me? Right now other than fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth year graduating players, there’s the one time exemption where players can enter the portal and be immediately eligible. I’ll bet you that next year some kid sues saying that the one time exception is unfair, discriminatory, unduly restrictive, Un American or all of the above. And the NCAA folds causing two or three times as many portal entrants.
Yep. And the kid would be righteous. Why should the kid playing the game - the one receiving the lowest compensation to begin with - be the only one in the entire operation who doesn't have complete freedom to "look out for #1"?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Only if he can find the same idiot attorney who took Maurice Clarett's case.

Oct 12, 2021
Well finding an idiot attorney is not a difficult task. Their as plentiful as weeds in garden after a Summer rain.
how could you be so sure joe pesci GIF

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
This is a recent article about JT Daniels focusing on what he was asking from Oregon State last year, before he chose West Virginia. You’d want to read the third paragraph.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
This is a recent article about JT Daniels focusing on what he was asking from Oregon State last year, before he chose West Virginia. You’d want to read the third paragraph.

I hate our world, but now I have talking points for my boss after the holidays.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

NIL is and continues to be a sham. Pay the players for playing football - that is it. They can do NIL but it’s mostly legal bagmen. What is JT Daniels doing for six figures? Social media posts? Good for Okie State for turning him down.

Found what he’s getting paid for. One Instagram post to date.

Some stuff on Twitter.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
"According to John Canzano, a sports columnist and radio host based in Portland, Oregon, Daniels asked for multiple exuberant commodities when negotiating an NIL collective — a four-bedroom house, capable of withholding a gym and space for family members when they came to visit, and a personal chef, on top of a six-figure endorsement deal."

Marlon Brando Movie GIF

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
"According to John Canzano, a sports columnist and radio host based in Portland, Oregon, Daniels asked for multiple exuberant commodities when negotiating an NIL collective — a four-bedroom house, capable of withholding a gym and space for family members when they came to visit, and a personal chef, on top of a six-figure endorsement deal."

Marlon Brando Movie GIF
I don't have a problem with the kid asking for it. Now someone actually giving it to him? THAT would be crazy.

FTLPSU

Oct 6, 2021
What a mess......sorry this NIL stuff.....Transferring anytime...a MESS! SMFH..just like everything else very slippery slope...

And if someone says the Coaches can leave then fine here is how you solve that---if the HC that recruits you leaves then you can transfer as well anywhere. Other than that the traditional way to transfer (sit out a year) applies.

In relation to Monies earned by programs; School should give a fixed stipend to athletes. Raise Professors salaries (Not Faculty-Not Sales I mean Admissions ;) Reduce tuition for lower income needy students etc.

This will not last....

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
What a mess......sorry this NIL stuff.....Transferring anytime...a MESS! SMFH..just like everything else very slippery slope...

And if someone says the Coaches can leave then fine here is how you solve that---if the HC that recruits you leaves then you can transfer as well anywhere. Other than that the traditional way to transfer (sit out a year) applies.

In relation to Monies earned by programs; School should give a fixed stipend to athletes. Raise Professors salaries (Not Faculty-Not Sales I mean Admissions ;) Reduce tuition for lower income needy students etc.

This will not last....
Should athletes be compensated for use of their name/image/likeness?

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Should athletes be compensated for use of their name/image/likeness?
With all the external ramifications associated with NIL do you really expect a cogent response that is less than 10,000 words? I’ll just give you a probably yes, but possibly not, so as to not offend anyone.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
With all the external ramifications associated with NIL do you really expect a cogent response that is less than 10,000 words? I’ll just give you a probably yes, but possibly not, so as to not offend anyone.
Yeah, I just don't know. While I don't like how things seem to be playing out, I tend to see both sides. It seems that athletes deserve to be compensated for use of their NIL and it would be unfair to prevent them from making money in that way. But I certainly see the opportunity to abuse it and that seems to be happening. I don't have a solution. I'm amazed with (envious of?) those who see it so cut-and-dried as NIL=bad.

Reactions: Tom_PSU and FTLPSU

FTLPSU

Oct 6, 2021
I get the exploitation and that someone should be rewarded for other entities using their names and such.

I am in the Risk and Governance world....I just see too many negatives with what's going on and its very early in this current environment.
You need parameters and controls on things. Deterrence for one is the best governor for human nature. In this case GREED is the most likely candidate that will cause issues. Someone needs to figure that out and put something in place.

My points earlier with regards of the entities making money-they should give profits back to real things for one.

Remember we are a predominantly REACTIVE society...we rarely get ahead of things its only when something bad happens-like loosing all my crypto currency oops sore spot for some ;) And we are all suppose to be smart?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Okunlola to da U. Much better than Mich State for us if they were truly players.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
It sounds like Thornton is headed to the U. He’s looking for NIL deals not the best fit. Kaden Prather look like he’s going to Marylin, staying close to home. Still sounds like Cephas is likely

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
NIL is and continues to be a sham. Pay the players for playing football - that is it. They can do NIL but it’s mostly legal bagmen. What is JT Daniels doing for six figures? Social media posts? Good for Okie State for turning him down.

Found what he’s getting paid for. One Instagram post to date.

Some stuff on Twitter.

From what I saw of him playing at WVU in the limited games I saw, Daniels should be paying NIL instead of getting paid.....

Last edited:
Reactions: LB99 and LionJim

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see Devyn Ford's name in the portal (or at least a tweet stating as much). CJF said that he was going to "focus on academics" earlier this year, but I guess I mistakenly took that as "I am sitting out the season and then will enter the portal later and transfer".....