2022-23 PSU MBB Thread

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
This Sunday night around 830 we will have a good idea of what our hoops team is all about. Tough week ahead

Reactions: Bison13

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
This Sunday night around 830 we will have a good idea of what our hoops team is all about. Tough week ahead
That's why they had to beat Iowa to stay in the hunt for a tournament bid. Michigan is the next best chance but they demolished Maryland and the game is on the road. Dorsey didn't play against Iowa. They're going to need him to take up some minutes against teams with good big men.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I disagree… but I spent 25 years coaching the sport so I may look at things differently
You don’t think Purdue is an outlier? How many teams in the Big Ten have a 7’ 4 center?

Im growing very tired of people who think that having coached at some level is a replacement for logic and common sense.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
playing purdue with a 7’ 4” center wont really be a good measuring stick.
True they haven’t played a big guy as good as him, but similar to the Illinois game. If they can force him to play defense on the perimeter and make enough threes it will take him out of the game.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
You don’t think Purdue is an outlier? How many teams in the Big Ten have a 7’ 4 center?

Im growing very tired of people who think that having coached at some level is a replacement for logic and common sense.
It’s the entirety of the game, not just what they do against one player. Plus, we play a good team on Wednesday nite. I would like to see how we play these 2 difficult games in a five day period. Coaches learn a lot about their teams in a week like this. I am growing very tired of people who have never spent a second coaching the sport thinking they KNOW more than people who have. How many days did you spend in the gym?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hlstone and Bison13

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I am growing very tired of people who have never spent a second coaching the sport thinking they KNOW more than people who have. How many days did you spend in the gym?
I’m not drawing up plays to inbound the ball or strategy to break the press. That requires coaching acumen. I’m using common sense to judge whether the outcome of a game between a gritty team with bottom of league DNA and one of the best teams in the nation is a good indicator for the season. I would say that Michigan is a more appropriate litmus test.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I’m not drawing up plays to inbound the ball or strategy to break the press. That requires coaching acumen. I’m using common sense to judge whether the outcome of a game between a gritty team with bottom of league DNA and one of the best teams in the nation is a good indicator for the season. I would say that Michigan is a more appropriate litmus test.
Rutgers just beat Purdue. Did they pass your litmus test? Again, answer my question, how many days have you spent in a gym coaching basketball? My guess is zero, so I won’t waste my time.

Last edited:

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
Rutgers just beat Purdue. Did they pass your litmus test? Again, answer my question, how many days have you spent in a gym coaching basketball? My guess is zero, so I won’t waste my time.
May I ask where you coached? When I was in high school Paul Brown was the b-ball coach. I would guess you know of him.

Thank you for guiding our youth. It's brutal, yet rewarding.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
May I ask where you coached? When I was in high school Paul Brown was the b-ball coach. I would guess you know of him.

Thank you for guiding our youth. It's brutal, yet rewarding.
Know him well...can't give out any more info bro...

Reactions: Hlstone

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Penn State basketball must develop the Center position to take the next step. Hopefully Freshman Njie and Lilley can step up in the next few years. Also have Calvin Booth's son coming in, a very good big man.
True Freshman forward Mahaffey for PSU is really coming on. Like his aggressiveness and defense.
Purdue dominating because PSU has no answer for 7'4" Zac Edy. Purdue's true Freshman PG - who is an excellent player - is simply lobbing in to the big man. PSU had no answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregInPitt

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Center position to take the next step. Hopefully Freshman Njie and Lilley can step up in the next few years. Also have Calvin Booth's son coming in, a very good big man.
True Freshman forward Mahaffey for PSU is really coming on. Like his aggressiveness and defense.
Perdue dominating because PSU has no answer for 7'4" Zac Edy. Purdue's true Freshman PG - who is an excellent player - is simply lobbing in to the big man. PSU had no answer.
Coach Shrew needs to teach these guys a zone of some sort. Any team with a legit big man basically beats us because we don’t have the size to stop him. We keep running the same defense against teams with a big man and we keep losing. We need to try something different. We have to play Purdue and Michigan again…two more losses if we run the same defense against both.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Was a tough game to watch with Edy getting all the ally oops and put backs. But I wasn't as impressed with Purdue as I had thought I would be. I only watche about half the game on and off but on D Purdue seems to just let Edy protect the paint and then the rest of the guards and forwards body every player they guard up and over play knowing that if they get beat the player that beats them won't get to the rim anyway.

I was disappointed that Njie coudn't just stay between the ball and Edy and prevent more of the soft over the top passes to Edy.

Does any B10 team have a center that can match up any where equally with Edy to put some pressure on the rest of Purdue's players to have to make plays on their own?

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Coach Shrew needs to teach these guys a zone of some sort. Any team with a legit big man basically beats us because we don’t have the size to stop him. We keep running the same defense against teams with a big man and we keep losing. We need to try something different. We have to play Purdue and Michigan again…two more losses if we run the same defense against both.
I would agree about needing a different defense against teams with dominating Centers. Another concern I saw was PSU's inability to neutralize Purdue's Freshman PG.

Last edited:

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Was a tough game to watch with Edy getting all the ally oops and put backs. But I wasn't as impressed with Purdue as I had thought I would be. I only watche about half the game on and off but on D Purdue seems to just let Edy protect the paint and then the rest of the guards and forwards body every player they guard up and over play knowing that if they get beat the player that beats them won't get to the rim anyway.

I was disappointed that Njie coudn't just stay between the ball and Edy and prevent more of the soft over the top passes to Edy.

Does any B10 team have a center that can match up any where equally with Edy to put some pressure on the rest of Purdue's players to have to make plays on their own?
Purdue is very good, but #1 in th nation good? Don't think so. Purdue is big, physical and have good face up shooters. Didn't seem to have players that can break you down with the dribble and take you to the hoop. They are going to once again run into a team in the NCAAs who have athletic bigs and quicker guards. That will be their downfall.

Last edited:

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

Njie is probably 6 inches shorter and 80 lbs lighter than Edy. He did struggle staying between Edy and the basket. Needs to work on his strength which will improve his ability to box out. Njie doesn't appear to be a quick leaper which can sometimes help with height/weight differences.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Perdue is very good, but #1 in th nation good? Don't think so. Perdue is big, physical and have good face up shooters. Didn't seem to have players that can break you down with the dribble and take you to the hoop. They are going to once again run into a team in the NCAAs who have athletic bigs and quicker guards. That will be their downfall.
Perdue???

Reactions: Nits74

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Purdue lighting it up to start the 2nd half and PSU going cold in those first 5-6 minutes broke the game. What was so frustrating was that PSU would dribble drive to the Ivy logo in the lane and instead of taking that little midrange floater, they'd try to get closer or they'd kick it out to a guarded player behind the arc. This happens a lot when the defense has a big man inside like Edey -- they develop this sort of force field in the lane where everyone gets intimidated. If Pickett or Dread or Lundy could consistently get by those bodying-up guards on defense, they could have had whatever they wanted from short range while Edey was haggling with the post guy. Instead, they, like everyone else in college basketball (**ANALYTICS**), don't want to take that shot.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Tale of 2 halves, obviously. That giant just wore them down. It's just too much to ask for an undersized team like PSU (Njie is actually a liability, not an asset, at this point) to have the energy to control a guy like that for a full game. And when Purdue's other shots started to fall, it was a snowball effect. Pickett looks much better over the last 2 games that I've watched, in terms of rhythm ... for himself and with his teammates. Njie just needs to hit the weight room hard. That'll change his game 100%. His functional strength just isn't there. Edit: Come to think of it, he's not that big ... he just plays like an awkward 7 footer ... so that could be a problem.

I had hopes when Shrews came on board that he'd attract some quality bigs so we didn't always have to play at that disadvantage. Booth is supposed to be good, but he's a skinny skill guy, not the inside presence we need.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
We were not aggressive with Edey. He needed to have some hard fouls banged on him and no one did that. Totally puzzled by Dread defending him. Njie is just a frosh and needs to get some hard bark on him.

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
Penn State has the type of team who can beat anyone and lose to anyon on any given night. Comes down to shooting 3's, they have 5-6 legit 3 point shooters who can go on a heater an change any game, plus with Picketts ability to get what he wants seemingly against anyone they can be tought, but in the 2nd half last night NO ONE could hit anything and Purdue pulled away. Winter, Dread, Lundy all had good looks early in the 2nd half and all missed, PSU needs those shots to fall to have a shot since they have no Bigs to compelte inside.