2022-23 PSU MBB Thread

Nitlion93

Oct 29, 2021
Obvious here, desperate need for bigs and I know we are getting some soon. I get that Njie is a freshman, but man he is a very soft freshman.
He is soft. We need him to get on the Harrar regimen.

on the positive side tonight, the team continues to show grit and they showed the ability to score in the paint and draw/make FTs.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
This was embarrassing. Clemson is a bad team.

I don't like this PSU team, and I have always found rooting for PSU teams easy, even when their performance was, uh ... mercurial, to put it nicely.

I don't get Pickett, at all. He looks uncomfortable and clunky. He just bullies in, dribbling the ball away from his body, and then doesn't have any fluidity to his movements. He looks more like an athletic high school kid who isn't part of the basketball team, and just came out to play some pick-up basketball. Just awkward. And then they pull all these iso plays for him. I don't get how it works as much as it does, and I think it's just bad basketball that won't work going forward in the Big Ten. And he can't shoot. The offense shouldn't run through him. He should be a complimentary piece. Njie ... that kid needs to just work on everything. He is NOT ready. Not sure he ever will be. Henn and Mahaffey need more minutes.

It's not a well put together team..

I watched one other game, and I had that same takeaway about Pickett.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
Ugh. Henn does not deserve more minutes. What did he do last night to make you think this? He played 5 minutes. 0-3, 0 rb, 0 asst, 2 PFs.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Coach Shrewsberry pleading for people to come to the MSU game. Average attendance has been less than 7k.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Thoughts on Shrewsberry's statement:

I hope people come out for the games.

Last edited by a moderator:

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
Thoughts on Shrewsberry's statement:

I hope people come out for the games.

I thought it was hilarious when he said, "I could understand people not coming out if our team was a bunch of ********". I hope people do get out to the game. My wife and I will be there. We have season tickets. Shrews has put a good team on the floor this year that will grow and keep getting better. If you are around SC on Wednesday evening. Come to the BJC and cheer on the Lions. Oh, and subscribe to SWH, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LionJim

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Wow Izzo is short! His attitude now makes sense. Total short man syndrome!

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t understand the refusal to play some zone. They can’t stop anyone inside and teams just keeping feeding it in for easy buckets or fouls.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I was informed by an insider 🤣 that the student section got these new t-shirts.
42873.jpeg

and that was new to you?

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
With this squad, it's not too early to look ahead.

So, with all the covid extra years and related nonsense, are all of Dread, Lundy, Pickett, Wynter and Funk gone next year? Out of the top 6 minutes-earners, the only one returning will be the tall kid who looks like basketball is a sport he just picked up (Njie)? And the returning "veterans" (Dorsey and D.Johnson) are ... um ... not good.

What else is there? There are some youngsters, but how good are they if they aren't getting PT (some very little, some none at all) with this motley crew leading the way?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
and that was new to you?

Yes it was news to me. My daughter was at the game and sent me that picture and figured I'd share a live picure. I don't follow much basketball or read this thread.

Here's another from pre game. 42870.jpeg

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I'm normally not a fan of "small ball" and think most nights the lack of inside presence is going to hurt us. But dang... they really took it to Illinois. Pickett was unstoppable.

Reactions: Bison13

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I'm normally not a fan of "small ball" and think most nights the lack of inside presence is going to hurt us. But dang... they really took it to Illinois. Pickett was unstoppable.
We don't have a big who can score on the block. One thing Shrew does well is post our guards. He forces the other team to make sure their perimeter guys can guard the block. Mich St beat us the other night because their guards knew how to play defense on the block...

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
When PSU shoots the 3 ball like yesterday they can beat anyone. I liked Shrews going small with basically 5 guards to start and Illinois BIG couldn't matchup on the perimeter as they were able to get many open looks or drives, so while lacking an inside presence hurts on D, on O the small guys have an advantage with quickness and ball movement to get open shots, make the shots and trade 3 for 2 you can win some games for sure.

Reactions: Bison13

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
We don't have a big who can score on the block. One thing Shrew does well is post our guards. He forces the other team to make sure their perimeter guys can guard the block. Mich St beat us the other night because their guards knew how to play defense on the block...
Essentially, Pickett is our center and point guard on offense. he is their best post player and their best passer so anytime he gets into the lane he’s got as good of a chance of scoring as anyone else and he is a good enough decision-maker that with shooters on the floor he can read the defense for a kick out.

Plus, another thing with shooting a lot of outside jumpshot is that you will have long rebounds so the lack of a big post player is negated some

Reactions: Bkmtnittany1