2022-23 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Why are tickets so expensive? Man can I take the whole fam to an AHL Bears game for the price of one ticket to a PSU game.
The three weekends remaining have some significance:

Domers is white out game, white out weekend, really
Minny is Thon weekend
WIsky is the final weekend of the regular season.

If you really want to see a game, your best bet might be to try the secondary markets for the B1G quarterfinal weekend. PSU will host a 2/3 game series if it remains in the top 2-3-4 positions in the B1G. Since it'll be the start of spring break, the university might also cut the cost of the student section tickets for the general public. I say might because PSU doesn't always do the smart thing.

FWIW, every time they've hosted a QF series, it's been great, great hockey.

Hope you can make it!

Reactions: pennstater97

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Shockingly lost to Sparty in OT. Gave up two in third, then final dagger in OT. First time all season the Lions have lost the opening game of a series, so needless to say Saturday night is important. Fell to 3rd in standings as well I believe.

Saturday night is on BTN, 7 pm.

Last edited:

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Why are tickets so expensive? Man can I take the whole fam to an AHL Bears game for the price of one ticket to a PSU game.
It is a bit crazy. First half of this season wasn't as bad in terms of ticket prices, but the rink appears to be a sellout the rest of way. Winning doesn't hurt (and, of course, saying that the team lost last night). I had to pick up a few extra for Minnesota in February (taking nephews on unofficial college tour) and, even purchasing early, I probably paid twice face value. Non-con games were selling at or below face (but, first half of season and Alaska Thanksgiving week and RIT NYE when students weren't in town). I guess purchase early lol.

I wonder if some of it is some [what I assume to be] brokers establishing hype with high list prices (and people willing to pay, of course!). There are definitely several large blocks (esp. center ice) that list high for almost every game and seem to sell. I would imagine that sets a "tone" for the market. In the end, people are going to sell for what people are willing to pay.

In some ways, it isn't that dissimilar from football. People want to see PSU playing in big games and the B1G is pretty decent in hockey right now, with most of the teams save Wisconsin in the Top 20. I will say that it slightly surprises me that the ND series seems twice as hot as the Minnesota series in terms of ticket demand, given that Minnesota is Top 5 right now.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Lions spent the weekend in East Lansing blowing two goal leads in both games. Now 4th in B1G.

Disappointing weekend to say the least. Souliere didn't stop a shot in the shootout.
Disappointing to be sure - a wasted opportunity. While MSU sits above PSU in conference standings, they have played two more conference games; hopefully, PSU can at least overtake them. Would be nice to see them rebound against ND and get back some momentum. Strangley enough, PSU actually rose to No. 3 in the Pairwise following the two losses... I guess other games went in PSU's favor?

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
This weekend was SO disappointing. While I hate splits, splits rest of the way except sweeping Wisky would probably maintain #7-10 in PW and guarantee post season. Would love to get another sweep or two in there as well.

Get the 2 seed in B1G somehow as well.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
That sign was hillarious. The Roar Zone broke it out three or so times, first right before the National Anthem so that the entire ND team was facing it. Tried to get a photo, but kept missing it; so, glad to see a good photo made it onto social media lol!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
While every team schedules some cupcakes, and PSU is no exception, it certainly appears the worries and contempt heaped upon our OOC schedule was a tad overblown. RIT and Alaska are 17 and 21 in PW. The sweep of them and having beaten every team in the B1G at least once, has helped our own PW, moving back to third. Going forward, I think the goal should be to overtake tOSU for second in the conference and get a matchup with 7 in the B1G QF, likely against Wisky. It would be nice to surge near Minny and steal the top spot and the bye. Looking forward to the meat of the schedule heading into Feb/Mar.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Can’t get swept. Need to get splits. Ideally get at least one sweep, preferably vs OSU if only can get one. Get that 2 seed minimum and stay in top 6 for so of PW.

Latest posts