2022-23 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
I'm glad coach is happy with it and he seems to indicate that it may just be puck luck. We'll see how the team closes out the first half of conference play at Notre Dame this weekend. Don't get me wrong - splits against ranked teams aren't bad but man... when you win the first, you want that second even more. 😆

Reactions: STPGopherfan

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
15-5 at the break in a conference with 6 of the 7 ranked in the top 20 and 5 of the 7 in top 11 in the PW is well beyond expectations. Any complaints should be muted. Could we have swept a couple more series? Sure. But second in the B1G at the break is, again, well beyond expectations. Couple tough OOC games with RIT coming up 12/30-31 (@RIT, then home). Then two @ Sparty before a pair at Pegula with the Domers. Sweeping RIT and splitting with Sparty would be a nice way to head into whiteout weekend vs. ND.

With apologies to our Gopher friend, it would be nice to stay within 4-5 points before seeing Goldy arrive here deep in February for the penultimate weekend series. That would be the chance to steal the top seed and the bye.

Either way, PSU is positioned well for the second half and it's important to maintain top 4 status in B1G to host quarterfinal series. Best case scenario would be top 4 PW finish and being top seed in their own hosted NCAA regional.

Any way you cut it, we're in good position. It appears to be a fun and important hockey season will continue in a few weeks. Enjoy the ride!

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
15-5 at the break in a conference with 6 of the 7 ranked in the top 20 and 5 of the 7 in top 11 in the PW is well beyond expectations. Any complaints should be muted. Could we have swept a couple more series? Sure. But second in the B1G at the break is, again, well beyond expectations. Couple tough OOC games with RIT coming up 12/30-31 (@RIT, then home). Then two @ Sparty before a pair at Pegula with the Domers. Sweeping RIT and splitting with Sparty would be a nice way to head into whiteout weekend vs. ND.

With apologies to our Gopher friend, it would be nice to stay within 4-5 points before seeing Goldy arrive here deep in February for the penultimate weekend series. That would be the chance to steal the top seed and the bye.

Either way, PSU is positioned well for the second half and it's important to maintain top 4 status in B1G to host quarterfinal series. Best case scenario would be top 4 PW finish and being top seed in their own hosted NCAA regional.

Any way you cut it, we're in good position. It appears to be a fun and important hockey season will continue in a few weeks. Enjoy the ride!
No need to apologize. I wouldn't want it any other way. High tide raises all boats.

I already know that series will be more than difficult. Though I like my Gopher team this season, I already know that PSU is a very difficult match up. Few teams can skate with my Gophers. PSU is one of them. Your team used to just pepper the goalie with shots. Over the last couple of seasons, it appears to me that the shots are more of the grade A opportunity kind with little to no reduction in quantity. Perhaps I just got lucky and only saw the games where this is true, but I don't think so.

Anyway, to a deep run in the NCAA's!

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Total destruction of Pairwise No. 20 RIT, 6-1. Let's get the sweep at Pegula on NYE!
PSU scored 4 goals near end of 1st and through first 5 or so of 2nd, including back-to-back goals around 20 seconds apart. They also had to take the first intermission about 2 minutes early - the teams left the ice with about 2 min left in the 1st which was played after intermission and rolled right into the 2nd because a RIT player checked a PSU player into the RIT bench door, which broke it. So, they had intermission early so that the facility could fix the door. Never heard of an early intermission before (but sure it's not new - PxP guys were suggesting it was possible before it actually happened).

Hopefully PSU can complete the sweep tomorrow and take that momentum into the second half of B1G play!

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure I understand the above posts. Do we have some new players on the roster for the remainder of THIS season? And did we lose one to the AHL as well? Thanks for explaining to me.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure I understand the above posts. Do we have some new players on the roster for the remainder of THIS season? And did we lose one to the AHL as well? Thanks for explaining to me.
I believe that's correct- on and off roster changes during season. A bit weird compared to other sports, to be sure!

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Good weekend so far for PSU hockey as opponent from Thanksgiving week, Alaska, knocks off No. 1 Denver 3-1 last night and bumps PSU up to No. 3 in the Pairwise. 😁
...and PSU is back to 4 in the Pairwise lol after Denver drubbed Alaska in the second game. Minnesota dropped the first of a massive series with St. Cloud St. (feels of a Frozen Four matchup!) with the second game later today (but remained No. 1 in Pairwise).

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
...and current conference standings heading into the second half of conference play. Minnesota obviously with a huge advantage in that they are more than 6 points ahead of everyone else in the standings. OSU swept MSU this weekend to jump to 3rd, right on PSU's heels. Hoping to see a few PSU sweeps!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230108_073305_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230108_073305_Chrome.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 9

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
...and PSU is back to 4 in the Pairwise lol after Denver drubbed Alaska in the second game. Minnesota dropped the first of a massive series with St. Cloud St. (feels of a Frozen Four matchup!) with the second game later today (but remained No. 1 in Pairwise).
The drop to 4 was not related to Denver winning though, we got leaped by St Cloud

Reactions: pennstater97

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I took a brief look at how many times MSU hockey is featured on BTN and it's been quite a bit this season.

And PSU? Not very often. So, guess who we play the next time we are on BTN? MSU, of course.

Reactions: pennstater97

Aquapong

Oct 14, 2021
Why are tickets so expensive? Man can I take the whole fam to an AHL Bears game for the price of one ticket to a PSU game.

Reactions: PSU2169

Latest posts