2022-23 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021
Nice come-from-behind win for the Lions tonight over MSU. PSU led 1-0, then trailed 1-2 end of 1st. Less than a minute after getting the equalizer to make it 2-2 the Spartans made it 2-3. PSU tied late in the 3rd and took a 4-3 lead with around 56 seconds left.

Since Minnesota swept [a much depleted] Michigan team last night and tonight, the Gophers are up 2 points in the standings. Of course, PSU could be all alone on top if they complete the sweep tomorrow night!

They have a non-con series against Alaska early next week and then host Ohio State the weekend after Thanksgiving. Close it out with a road trip to ND and we'll be at the halfway mark!
Yes it was a really nice comeback. They were flat in 1st, very small but vocal student section , may have contributed to s low juice period. Credit Sparty D. They stood us up on the blue line continuously in the first 2 periods. We killed off a 5 min major, assisted my a Sparty minor , but that provided s lift. Then they cranked it up to swarming mode. Tying goal was a thing of beauty. Winner got through on a screen. Nice job boys.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
2 more OOC games remain towards end of Dec. Need to win them both as remains B1G games will be tough. Don’t need Pairwise getting pulled down by OOC losses.

Reactions: pennstater97

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Ranked 6 in USCHO poll. Four first place votes. Saw that the Lions re-ascended to top of pairwise. Maintaining that would be key to tournament seeding, as PSU will play first weekend in Allentown if they qualify. If they could be a top four seed ... I'm not going further, don't want to jinx.

Finally, I can understand some unhappiness with the OOC slate, but not a lot. The B1G is murderous this year with the Sparty resurgence. Six of 7 top 20 in poll and pairwise, including four in top 10 of Pairwise. Final OOC games are with RIT, who is just outside top 20, placing 21st in the poll and pairwise. No pushover, and it's a home and home, not two at home. SOS will be off the charts for B1G squads. With the strength of the conference, there is not a huge need for brutal OOC. As a ticket-holder, I can understand the desire for some top teams in Pegula. It would be great to have a two year home and home with a WCHA program or a BC/BU, Quinnipiac weekend. I think Guy has struck a nice balance thus far.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Ranked 6 in USCHO poll. Four first place votes. Saw that the Lions re-ascended to top of pairwise. Maintaining that would be key to tournament seeding, as PSU will play first weekend in Allentown if they qualify. If they could be a top four seed ... I'm not going further, don't want to jinx.
Didn't realize that Allentown was hosting yet another regional in 2023 (and again in 2025). Great news and hope that we see "Pegula East" come March. 😁 I seem to recall that I had tickets to the 2020 regional in Allentown before it was canceled, but maybe I am misrembering (think I purchased early assuming PSU was in given that they won the B1G regular season and were pretty high in the Pairwise going into the B1G semi). Would love to complete that trip next year lol!

Good points about the non-con schedule and that home-and-home with RIT will be interesting. Hopefully the Lions can figure out how to get a sweep at home this weekend versus OSU and get at least a split on the road at ND to close out the first half of conference play! Would love to see PSU get some playoff hockey at Pegula come March for the conference tourney.

Reactions: nittanymoops

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Didn't realize that Allentown was hosting yet another regional in 2023 (and again in 2025). Great news and hope that we see "Pegula East" come March. 😁 I seem to recall that I had tickets to the 2020 regional in Allentown before it was canceled, but maybe I am misrembering (think I purchased early assuming PSU was in given that they won the B1G regular season and were pretty high in the Pairwise going into the B1G semi). Would love to complete that trip next year lol!

Good points about the non-con schedule and that home-and-home with RIT will be interesting. Hopefully the Lions can figure out how to get a sweep at home this weekend versus OSU and get at least a split on the road at ND to close out the first half of conference play! Would love to see PSU get some playoff hockey at Pegula come March for the conference tourney.
Some coincidental timing, but I received an email today from PSU stating that the presale has begun for NCAA regional in Allentown.

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
Some coincidental timing, but I received an email today from PSU stating that the presale has begun for NCAA regional in Allentown.
Thanks for pointing that out! Found the email and picked up two. Now, just need PSU to make the tourney lol! I didn't see parking as an option... maybe they do that separately/ closer to the event? I recall parking was a bit of a nightmare the last time I was there (and didn't have venue parking).

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Lions draw first scarlet blood, PP goal MacEachren. And another PP set to start!

Lions still up 1-0, another PP starting after scrum in front of net after superb Souliere save.

Bucknuts tie it up. One all. 3:30 left 2nd

Third period upcoming. 1-1

Lions kill penalty. 16 to go, 1-1

9:56 to go, still 1-1. Very chippy all night.

Lion gets tripped and they go on the Pp. 9:09 to go

Lions now 5 on 3. Shot off the post still one minute 5-on 4

GOAL! 2-1 Guy’s guys! 3:52 to go.

Empty net, 2:17 to go. Souliere glove save, and now OSU calls TO. 1:34 left

Last edited:

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Good with non-con and non-ranked B1G (Wisky). Need to figure it out during second half of conference play.
Yep. Tonight dropped us from 1 to 5 in PW even though we sit as 2nd in B1G right now.

Cannot afford to lose any to Wisky and even ND for that matter. Next week at ND is huge as it will get us to halfway through conference play.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021

The winning goal.

:ROFLMAO: OSU forgot to move their skates... Dowd is dangerous. How do you just let him set up camp in front of the goal.

Dowd camp grounds...

Yep. Tonight dropped us from 1 to 5 in PW even though we sit as 2nd in B1G right now.

Cannot afford to lose any to Wisky and even ND for that matter. Next week at ND is huge as it will get us to halfway through conference play.
Still a ton of hockey left. Right now what I see is Minnesota, Michigan and PSU at the top with MSU, OSU and Wisconsin being teams you can't sleep on. Second half of the season will be interesting.

Regarding ND, if you guys play smart and your style, I don't think ND will be able to keep up. What they seem to count on is "you" beating yourself. Not convinced that they can handle your flurries of offensive pressure.

Last edited: