2022-23 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
So the Big Ten in general and PSU specifically are usually pretty slow with releasing their schedules. Usually most of the non-conference games are known from opponents releasing their schedules first. Today most of the AHA released their schedules and PSU usually plays a number of them. Interesting no Mercyhurst or Robert Morris this season.

PSU does host American International on 10/20 and 10/21. They also host Army on 1/6 (just one game). Other than that, I have no seen any other games for PSU.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
So the Big Ten in general and PSU specifically are usually pretty slow with releasing their schedules. Usually most of the non-conference games are known from opponents releasing their schedules first. Today most of the AHA released their schedules and PSU usually plays a number of them. Interesting no Mercyhurst or Robert Morris this season.

PSU does host American International on 10/20 and 10/21. They also host Army on 1/6 (just one game). Other than that, I have no seen any other games for PSU.
Completely agree on the tardiness of the schedule. Shame about Mercyhurst, as we made a stop there last year on our way to AA for UM football game. Nice small arena, seat yourself, didn't even check tickets at door.

Would very much like to see PSU-Sparty hockey scheduled T-giving weekend to make a doubleheader (or UM).

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So the Big Ten in general and PSU specifically are usually pretty slow with releasing their schedules.

Completely agree on the tardiness of the schedule.

If I'm not mistaken, the only FALL PSU sports for schedules have been released are football, women's volleyball, and field hockey. Cross country (men's & women's), men's soccer, and women's soccer have not yet released their schedules. As such, it's a tad early to be complaining about schedules for winter PSU sports, IMHO.

PSU wrestling almost never releases its schedule until sometime in September. And FWIW, they are always the last B1G team to release their schedule.

Reactions: nittanymoops

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
If I'm not mistaken, the only FALL PSU sports for schedules have been released are football, women's volleyball, and field hockey. Cross country (men's & women's), men's soccer, and women's soccer have not yet released their schedules. As such, it's a tad early to be complaining about schedules for winter PSU sports, IMHO.

PSU wrestling almost never releases its schedule until sometime in September. And FWIW, they are a
Non con was released late June 2022 and early July 2021. B1G was late August and early Sept respectively for both years.

Perhaps these later schedule release dates are due to Covid. In 2018-19, the entire schedule was released in late May. For 2019-20, the entire slate was released in a June 5 tweet.

And while it's technically a winter sport, the team frequently has started its season early-mid October.

Maybe it's just the cantankerous fan in me, but I think if PSU NLC is going to keep moving up the deadline for renewals, they should at least release a schedule. Hockey renewal this year moved up to mid April, only 2-3 weeks after PSU bowed out of the NCAA.

I asked Barbour about this at one town hall several years ago. Her response strained credulity, as she said she needed to know as early as possible how many tickets she needed to sell. Considering how PSU has frequently sold out Pegula, and how strong season ticket sales are, this was stretching the truth like Elastigirl. It's a money grab so they can accrue interest, not the fans. The least they could do is say thank you for the 6 month interest-free loan.

Reactions: doctornick

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021

PSU wrestling almost never releases its schedule until sometime in September. And FWIW, they are always the last B1G team to release their schedule.

I'm not talking about in comparison to other PSU sports, I'm talking about in regards to all of college ice hockey. The Big Ten is inevitable the last conference to release schedules and does so months after everyone else. Last year, there were teams that had schedules finalized in May and the Big Ten didn't release until August. Typically we know all of the Big Ten non-conference opponents well in advance of the their conference schedules due to other teams. Ironically, we don't know much about PSU right now, but there's still some Hockey East and ECAC teams that have not released yet but should do so soon.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
I hate to be a nag, but it's late July and still no schedule. I've been asked to renew season tickets, buy parking and offered buffet tickets, but still no schedule to plan my fall and winter weekends. What could possibly be taking so long? This is historically the latest we've gone without a schedule release, either OOC or B1G.

Reactions: KKBundy

Fox Chapel Lion II

Oct 13, 2021
Did you guys see Andrew Sturtz was named the third Assistant Coach? No more 'volunteer assistants', now everybody gets three full time paid assistants.

Sturtz was a hell of a player for us - a point-a-game guy. Played a couple years in the AHL, now he's back starting off his coaching career. He has a chance to really help with five forwards coming in.

Fox Chapel Lion II

Oct 13, 2021
Non-con schedule is RELEASED!

Opening night - Oct 7 @ LIU
Oct 13 - @ Clarkson (previously known)
Oct 14 - @ St Lawrence (predicted by me!)
Home Opener - Oct 20-21 vs American Intl
Home Oct 26-27 vs Alaska Anchorage
Home Nov 24-25 vs Lindenwood
Home Jan 6 vs Army

Nothing there to get the blood pumping, but sweeping the non-con last year got us high up in the PairWise and resulted in getting the NCAA bid. I resolved to never criticize Guy again.

Less than 2 months to go. LET’S GO PSU!