2022 Phillies Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Now that it appears that the lockout (call it what you want) is over, I'm switching from the "2021-22 Phillies Offseason Thread" to this thread. You can find the aforementioned thread at:

The offseason was pretty quiet for most teams, as they waited to see what type of agreement would be signed. There is likely to be a lot of activity in the coming days/weeks.

Let's Get Phillies

Reactions: kgilbert78

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Edit - Looks like April 9 vs the A's to kick off the season.

Last edited:

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
So who will be the CF, 1B, DH, SS and pitchers on this team??? Wow!

Aquapong

Oct 14, 2021
They are hot after Odubel, so it seems they are going with a platoon with Vierling somewhere. I wasn’t super impressed with Odubel in CF any longer, but I guess the trade options are just too expensive. Hopefully they will get Bryant for LF primarily, but he can spell Harper in RF and be a back up plan for 3B if Bohm doesn't turn it around.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Given the current state of the farm system, can't give away top end prospects for Chapman. Elite defensive player, but offensively major concerns. Some power, but low avg and OBP. Strikeouts major issue.

Yeah, I would love Chapman, but that farm system needs to be built up.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
They are hot after Odubel, so it seems they are going with a platoon with Vierling somewhere. I wasn’t super impressed with Odubel in CF any longer, but I guess the trade options are just too expensive. Hopefully they will get Bryant for LF primarily, but he can spell Harper in RF and be a back up plan for 3B if Bohm doesn't turn it around.

I've been trying to not get my hopes up on Bryant. Jon Heyman's tweet the other day got me excited though. Wouldn't mind Castellanos either.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Really... there's not another outfielder we can get?

I mean, they really only have Harper and Vierling right now. They still need at least two more, maybe three more OF. To me, they're signing him to be a bench guy, I hope.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
I mean, they really only have Harper and Vierling right now. They still need at least two more, maybe three more OF. To me, they're signing him to be a bench guy, I hope.
That is my hope, too. But understand the FA market is limited. Have to believe someone like Pillar would be a better option, at least defensively. I don't Herrera adding much. They just don't have the trade chips. Somehow need someone else to take Seguera and Didi to get that money off the books. Dombrowski's history tells us he will trade prospects and quite frankly you don't sign Harper and then accept .500 seasons. I could see them moving Abel or Painter, but I am just not sold on Chapman.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
That is my hope, too. But understand the FA market is limited. Have to believe someone like Pillar would be a better option, at least defensively. I don't Herrera adding much. They just don't have the trade chips. Somehow need someone else to take Seguera and Didi to get that money off the books. Dombrowski's history tells us he will trade prospects and quite frankly you don't sign Harper and then accept .500 seasons. I could see them moving Abel or Painter, but I am just not sold on Chapman.

Yeah, Chapman's average has really dropped off in recent years. If they were definitely getting 2018/2019 Chapman, I'd take it. But man, he hit .210 last year.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah neither really move the needle and we’re just hoping for a good year from them.
What do you do here? They’re due for some good bullpen luck for a year or five. Every pen move they’ve made recently has been historically bad. Much of that is bad luck.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Familia and Hand are basically replacing Archie and Hector and I don’t think either are an upgrade….. Overpay galore….

Hector Nerris got 8.5 million. They're saving money on Hand. I don't understand what the issue is? Three guys with closing experience seems like a positive move to me.

Reactions: EPC FAN

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
What do you do here? They’re due for some good bullpen luck for a year or five. Every pen move they’ve made recently has been historically bad. Much of that is bad luck.

Yeah, I'm with ya. What are we expecting here? They need to fill a ton of positions and have $40 million left after these moves. I think considering the market, and considering what they want to do in left field, those are both good moves.

Reactions: WestSideLion

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Also, Pete Alonso getting into a car accident. Back to the Phillies. Wasn't sure where to post these, seemed like notable news to me though.

Latest posts