2022 Phillies Thread

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Wow, Freddy Freeman leaving Atlanta? That’s big, the end of an era. He and the Braves had a great run together.
I’ll take the under on that. They got a really good replacement under better contract terms and have all sorts of young, quality pieces.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Sounds like the Phils are still in on Castellanos. Which means give up draft pick and going over the tax threshold. Whether Castellanos is the right fit or not, it seems like the Phils are going to have to spend even more to compete with the Mets and Braves

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Sounds like the Phils are still in on Castellanos. Which means give up draft pick and going over the tax threshold. Whether Castellanos is the right fit or not, it seems like the Phils are going to have to spend even more to compete with the Mets and Braves

Man, I would love it, but honestly, I think that money is better spent on pitching. They're gonna need back end arms, sixth and seventh starters. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to them going over the tax. Everyone wants that to happen, but I just can't see them doing that by Opening Day. I think if they're looking great at the trade deadline, then it becomes a real possibility.

Reactions: rudedude

PSU Chicago

Oct 9, 2021
Man, I would love it, but honestly, I think that money is better spent on pitching. They're gonna need back end arms, sixth and seventh starters. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to them going over the tax. Everyone wants that to happen, but I just can't see them doing that by Opening Day. I think if they're looking great at the trade deadline, then it becomes a real possibility.
They do need pitching but if they wait to spend are they better or worse at the trade deadline.

as a fan, spend the $$. Win!

Colt2169

Dec 13, 2021

DiDi may play some 3rd making some room for Stott

or, if he does good enough in the spring they may trade him to get back under the “cap” (uh I meant luxury tax threshold)

Either would be fine with me.
Love the lineup - still need some pitching

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
DiDi may play some 3rd making some room for Stott

or, if he does good enough in the spring they may trade him to get back under the “cap” (uh I meant luxury tax threshold)

Either would be fine with me.
Love the lineup - still need some pitching

They have like $20 million now before the next tax bracket. They should be able to add someone, I would hope.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
After Castellanos they are over the tax threshold

Yeah, I’m talking about jumping to the next tax bracket. They’re in the first tier, which is a 20 percent surcharge. If they go beyond $20 million above, it jumps to a 32% tax, I believe. The next one becomes much more expensive. I don’t see them reaching that.

Colt2169

Dec 13, 2021
Yeah, I’m talking about jumping to the next tax bracket. They’re in the first tier, which is a 12 percent surcharge. The next one becomes much more expensive. I don’t see them reaching that.
Agree - this first hit is mild (something like a million more - chump change )

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
The front office didn't mind going over the threshold and I get it. They didn't sign Harper "just because" and to waste his talent. They signed him to help win championships but he can't do it by himself. Harper is 29. Realmuto just turned 31. Schwarber just turned 29. Castellanos just turned 30. All four are now signed as the nucleus for the next four years. Now the challenge for the front office is to get all the complimentary pieces in place.

As a fan, I don't care about the luxury tax. It doesn't cost me anything.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Years ago, someone very smart and very connected told me that Middleton was cut from the Peter Angelos cloth and that wasn’t meant as a compliment. Now add Dombrowski into the gumbo, a guy who is known as building teams to win NOW and then leaving it to the next guy to rebuild it after his scorched earth work is done. Top heavy teams and an organization that doesn’t draft and develop well normally don’t turn out well. But what is clear is that Dombrowski put all the chips in for whatever length of time before Harper’s arc starts to bend. Wheeler, JT, KK, and now Nick looks to mean that this is built for 2022-2025 and then it gets bulldozed into rubble when Harper is on the downside.

I’m fascinated with what they have done here. If you subscribe to the theory that games are tight in post season, the bullpen and your fielding can be overly important. The powers to be have decided to take the path of attempting to bash your brains in as the way to win. It might very well work out and I’ll be delighted if it does. However, this is may be the worst defensive team to take the field in recent memory and the bullpen scares the daylights out of me. It’s going to make for an interesting summer.

The Phillies have data that equates revenue amount with every additional ticket sold. They didn’t add KK and Nick without a belief that $x per each additional butt makes the CBT the last thing they have to worry about. When Harper signed, their projections had them making a multiple of what they were paying him. Harper was good business. The same is the case with the two big adds this week. The CBT is more a small bump than a big pothole.

Sun and clouds today in Clearwater. Ceremony marking 75 years of Clearwater baseball today. Should be a great afternoon at the yard. If you have friends down here, tell them to take a look at the old Jack Russell as well as the monuments they have there along the old concourse walkway. Old stadium is on Seminole, nestled back in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I am skeptical too. Jayson Stark is pretty good, though. With or without this signing of NC, defense is going to a huge issue.
Nick’s a Phillie. I have to say the lineup is looking fearsome. I think the defensive liabilities may be overblown some, if the lineup is anywhere near what it could be.

Dombrowski is sticking to his approach and it’s yielded titles before.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
Years ago, someone very smart and very connected told me that Middleton was cut from the Peter Angelos cloth and that wasn’t meant as a compliment. Now add Dombrowski into the gumbo, a guy who is known as building teams to win NOW and then leaving it to the next guy to rebuild it after his scorched earth work is done. Top heavy teams and an organization that doesn’t draft and develop well normally don’t turn out well. But what is clear is that Dombrowski put all the chips in for whatever length of time before Harper’s arc starts to bend. Wheeler, JT, KK, and now Nick looks to mean that this is built for 2022-2025 and then it gets bulldozed into rubble when Harper is on the downside.
Agree with several of your points, but that said imho the bolded portion above is less relevant with the Phillies because there is not much in the minor leagues for the Phillies to lose via "scorched earth". The fact that the current Phillies developmental system is already subpar is a different starting point than the GM's referenced previous history. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: WestSideLion

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
Nick’s a Phillie. I have to say the lineup is looking fearsome. I think the defensive liabilities may be overblown some, if the lineup is anywhere near what it could be.

Dombrowski is sticking to his approach and it’s yielded titles before.
Defense is bad. Outside of JT, I don't think there is an above avg fielder in the lineup. With many below avg fielders. That said, Bryant was the best of these 3 OF's. And the Phils got 2 for the price of Bryant. Great job by Dombrowksi.

Latest posts