2022 Phillies Thread

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Man, now an out made on a pick-off. Not exactly a fundamentally sound Monday night at CBP.

Reactions: Shadow99

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Hopefully they don't start to repeat the pattern of the past couple years. They'll have two or three games which make you think it's all coming together. Then they'll have four or five games in which half the team looks like a bunch of beer leaguers.

NittanyLionHeart

Oct 31, 2021
Stott or Camargo should be at 3rd… Not sure why Bohm got the start tonight…. He’s mentally shot and needs a fresh start somewhere else…

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Nelson holding down the fort in long relief but the offense can't take advantage. That first inning may have set the mental tone for the remainder of the game. This team can be soooo frustrating to watch.

Edit: Yeah, then he walks the #9 hitter on four pitches.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Nelson holding down the fort in long relief but the offense can't take advantage. That first inning may have set the mental tone for the remainder of the game. This team can be soooo frustrating to watch.
It's annoying in the sense that it feels like the same things happen year over year over year. I know we're only a few games in, but a lot of last year's frustrations are already showing up again.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Bohm admitted that he said what we all thought he said in postgame. I appreciate that he's not gonna pretend he said something else. Hope people don't hold that against him. He had a great night at the plate. I'm hoping he can get back to the Bohm we expected a few years ago.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Bohm admitted that he said what we all thought he said in postgame. I appreciate that he's not gonna pretend he said something else. Hope people don't hold that against him. He had a great night at the plate. I'm hoping he can get back to the Bohm we expected a few years ago.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

You don’t realize how much it took to stand up and say that in a town that can make it really tough. If you are old enough to remember Lance Parrish and how it went South immediately and never changed for his entire time here, ask an old timer about it. Bohm could have elected to not answer the questions but instead he stood up and took it on. This town will also support you unfailingly if you Man up and own it. I suspect that Bohm might be in for some support that he doesn’t envision is coming his way. Kudos to Rhys and Didi, that’s leadership.

I don’t know what to make of his game and where he fits in long term honestly, especially with Stott. If Rhys is not given a big extension, you can see Bohm at first which I think is where he ultimately belongs. 3B is really an instinct position and I don’t see great instincts from him. It’s something that you have or don’t have. He was so good offensively the first year and although he was a major disappointment last year, it’s hard to not play it out with him.

But how he handled it tonight is a positive in my book.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
You don’t realize how much it took to stand up and say that in a town that can make it really tough. If you are old enough to remember Lance Parrish and how it went South immediately and never changed for his entire time here, ask an old timer about it. Bohm could have elected to not answer the questions but instead he stood up and took it on. This town will also support you unfailingly if you Man up and own it. I suspect that Bohm might be in for some support that he doesn’t envision is coming his way. Kudos to Rhys and Didi, that’s leadership.

I don’t know what to make of his game and where he fits in long term honestly, especially with Stott. If Rhys is not given a big extension, you can see Bohm at first which I think is where he ultimately belongs. 3B is really an instinct position and I don’t see great instincts from him. It’s something that you have or don’t have. He was so good offensively the first year and although he was a major disappointment last year, it’s hard to not play it out with him.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. He needs to keep working. If he upped his stock and was able to help the Phillies with a trade, I'd be all for it. It was reported that they were shopping him in March. Obviously, we all want immediate pieces to help now, but trading him for two solid prospects in a few months wouldn't be a bad thing either. They need talent in the system. We all know that.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

And now he can make a ton off marketing a t-shirt!

C6F78555-67E2-4FC3-9093-F78E8B684022.jpeg

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Yeah, I agree with all of that. He needs to keep working. If he upped his stock and was able to help the Phillies with a trade, I'd be all for it. It was reported that they were shopping him in March. Obviously, we all want immediate pieces to help now, but trading him for two solid prospects in a few months wouldn't be a bad thing either. They need talent in the system. We all know that.
Best case is he gets hot for a bit and is tradeable for exactly that.

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021

Great post...the only caveat to add would relate to the reference to 3rd being an instinct position, which of course is true. Nevertheless, ironically his throwing errors (which inherently mean that the ball is already in his hands at that point) are something separate from the instinctual part of the position.

Best case is he gets hot for a bit and is tradeable for exactly that.
Agreed, because although it may be desirable to trade him, trading "low" does not make sense.

Reactions: GregPickel

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
Great post...the only caveat to add would relate to the reference to 3rd being an instinct position, which of course is true. Nevertheless, ironically his throwing errors (which inherently mean that the ball is already in his hands at that point) are something separate from the instinctual part of the position.

Agreed, because although it may be desirable to trade him, trading "low" does not make sense.
I agree, but the kid has been hitting well and that can hind some of his defensive woes...not to the degree he is making errors, but at least a hot bat makes some tolerable. I think Long may have been the most important hire for the Phillies in a long time as he seesm to have really helped Bohm, Moniak and now Stott all young guys making early season impact. If Bohm stays hot at the plate he has more team control left than Hoskins, so that may be an avenue with the big contracts in the outfiels may need to add some ptichign depth and Hoskins could bring the best package back and move Bohm to First.

Another potential deal could involve Didi if he starts hittign again. Stott could slot in at SS and Didi could bring back some pitching. At least their are options with what Dombrowski did in the offseason.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Yep, totally agreed.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Ump Scorecards does a great job at looking back at how the home plate ump called every game the day after. They also have a data base you can search for each ump from the past. I like to look at it especially when Angel Hernandez was behind the plate. 😡

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Ump Scorecards does a great job at looking back at how the home plate ump called every game the day after. They also have a data base you can search for each ump from the past. I like to look at it especially when Angel Hernandez was behind the plate. 😡

It would be nice to have MLB averages for Accuracy and Consistency right there, for comparison’s sake. I would imagine that the numbers I’m seeing on your link are at the high end of the scale, no worse than average. But what do I know?