2022 Phillies Thread

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Anyone interested in playing fantasy baseball? We usually do $100 buy in. It’s a good group. Competitive but nothing crazy. If you pay attention to the sport you can compete. We do set rosters everyday, but you can set ahead.

DM me if interested.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
With one week to go, it’s pretty much what is stated above. The win now mentality will influence one big decision.

For position players, I’d be shocked if Stott does not travel North if you are making the decision based on merit. If you were not in win now mode, you might mess around with Stott from a service time perspective and let it play out with Bohm and give him a month to see if he can get on track. But Stott has hit consistently and been adequate defensively. Stott deserves to start and with pressure on Girardi from Opening Day, I believe Stott will come North as the starting 3b’men. Bohm will have to battle as adversity can be difficult for young players drafted that high. This experience that may be coming will impact him one way or the other and that’s up to him.

Camargo seems to be be a lock given his flexibility and ability to play all over. Joe has always had Torreyes on his teams but he only has been getting AB’s late in games. I don’t see him making the club but there don’t seem to be other options if they want to carry an additional infield bench player. In the OF, it should be Vierling and Moniak even though Joe said Moniak was not in the plans a week ago. He homered over a stretch of days and barreled up a ball for a double today. Haseley should not make the team. I’m not sure he is not playing himself out of the organization.

Offensively, they are what they think you could be. Schwarber and Nick are both big oplus OPS guys. Nick homered today and hit a bullet for a double; Schwarber went deep as well. Didi looks like he is back on track. The lineup is scary although Hoskins has kept Bohm company in guys who are not putting good AB’s together. If Hoskins can perform, Schwarber, Segura, Harper, Castellanos, JT, Hoskins, Didi, Vierling, and Stott is as good a lineup as you can field outside of the Dodgers.

The only position battle that has been a mystery is for backup catcher. I assumed going into camp that it was Marchan but he never was in it. Stubbs gets the nod I say. He seems to have decent workings with the staff.

Pitching, I have no idea. The starting staff is really behind. Suarez, Eflin, and Wheeler are taking baby steps and I dont like the lack of ramp up for these guys going into the season. Gibson and Nola seem to be the only guys on regular rotation as we speak. One week out, this could be really dicey. The bullpen arms you think you need to count on have been decent. From what I have seen of Coonrad and Brogdon though, not so good. Alvarado is hurt to boot and is way behind as well. Seranthony gave up a dinger in his one inning of work today but he has been a pleasant surprise. He looks much leaner and I assume that will help. They will carry a lot of additional pitchers. I’ve liked Sanchez so far and he threw well today.

I have no idea how they think they are going to cobble the rotation together to start this off and it looks like the game plan is to win a bunch of 9-7 games. These guys can rake. Today, even the O’s fans remarked about this lineup and how scary this group could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

PSU Chicago

Oct 9, 2021
Seranthony .. still has electric stuff. Would be great if he was able to be a key part of the bullpen again.

Reactions: Shadow99

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
The primary issue with a trade is that Bohm's current trade value would match the cliche of "selling low"... 🤷‍♂️
This is a perfect "prove it" moment for Dombrowski. It feels foolish to trade away Bohm for peanuts. This right after they offloaded Haseley (former #7 overall pick) for peanuts.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
With one week to go, it’s pretty much what is stated above. The win now mentality will influence one big decision.

For position players, I’d be shocked if Stott does not travel North if you are making the decision based on merit. If you were not in win now mode, you might mess around with Stott from a service time perspective and let it play out with Bohm and give him a month to see if he can get on track. But Stott has hit consistently and been adequate defensively. Stott deserves to start and with pressure on Girardi from Opening Day, I believe Stott will come North as the starting 3b’men. Bohm will have to battle as adversity can be difficult for young players drafted that high. This experience that may be coming will impact him one way or the other and that’s up to him.

Camargo seems to be be a lock given his flexibility and ability to play all over. Joe has always had Torreyes on his teams but he only has been getting AB’s late in games. I don’t see him making the club but there don’t seem to be other options if they want to carry an additional infield bench player. In the OF, it should be Vierling and Moniak even though Joe said Moniak was not in the plans a week ago. He homered over a stretch of days and barreled up a ball for a double today. Haseley should not make the team. I’m not sure he is not playing himself out of the organization.

Offensively, they are what they think you could be. Schwarber and Nick are both big oplus OPS guys. Nick homered today and hit a bullet for a double; Schwarber went deep as well. Didi looks like he is back on track. The lineup is scary although Hoskins has kept Bohm company in guys who are not putting good AB’s together. If Hoskins can perform, Schwarber, Segura, Harper, Castellanos, JT, Hoskins, Didi, Vierling, and Stott is as good a lineup as you can field outside of the Dodgers.

The only position battle that has been a mystery is for backup catcher. I assumed going into camp that it was Marchan but he never was in it. Stubbs gets the nod I say. He seems to have decent workings with the staff.

Pitching, I have no idea. The starting staff is really behind. Suarez, Eflin, and Wheeler are taking baby steps and I dont like the lack of ramp up for these guys going into the season. Gibson and Nola seem to be the only guys on regular rotation as we speak. One week out, this could be really dicey. The bullpen arms you think you need to count on have been decent. From what I have seen of Coonrad and Brogdon though, not so good. Alvarado is hurt to boot and is way behind as well. Seranthony gave up a dinger in his one inning of work today but he has been a pleasant surprise. He looks much leaner and I assume that will help. They will carry a lot of additional pitchers. I’ve liked Sanchez so far and he threw well today.

I have no idea how they think they are going to cobble the rotation together to start this off and it looks like the game plan is to win a bunch of 9-7 games. These guys can rake. Today, even the O’s fans remarked about this lineup and how scary this group could be.
I wonder what Hoskins' trade value is right now. He's a high-HR, high-strikeout guy. If slotted into a lineup with other guys who are good at getting on base, he could be a real monster. The Phillies haven't been that team.

It's becoming clearer that they'll need to move bats for pitching, if they really aim to contend. The debate will be which bats?

PSU Chicago

Oct 9, 2021
Story was written when Haseley went MIA last season ...... He has really struggled since his return.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I wonder what Hoskins' trade value is right now. He's a high-HR, high-strikeout guy. If slotted into a lineup with other guys who are good at getting on base, he could be a real monster. The Phillies haven't been that team.

It's becoming clearer that they'll need to move bats for pitching, if they really aim to contend. The debate will be which bats?
I think you need to let Hoskins work with the new hitting guy for some period of time. The labor mess hurt this relationship and they haven’t had much time together. I’ve never liked Hoskins mechanics and I wonder if adjustments are possible. I’ve watched every swing he takes and he seems long to me on his swing. What he tried for a short period of time last year is what I had called for. He “wraps” the bat a bit and to get to impact he has to bring the back up before he brings it down to his path to the ball. They had him drop his hands a pinch before and get the bat unwrapped a bit. It seems to me that this makes him quicker to the ball and takes a bit of the length in his swing away. He tried this and quickly went back to his approach.

I think he can be really good in this lineup and with a lot of focus on Scwarber and Nick, he can fly under the radar. He has the chance to put up numbers.

Hoskins is a piece so I’m not sure he draws a ton back. Is he the guy to put a team over the top? He can be but I don’t view that to be the case as we speak. I am hopeful it doesn’t get to that and that the issue becomes when to extend him as oppose to trading him.

Reactions: WestSideLion

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

I’ve been very interested in the notion of the Phillies reprising a super sub role for Stott given the disaster that resulted with a similar plan for Kingery. Kingery did mention the additional burden he felt by being shuttled all over the diamond. Every player is obviously different but the Kingery disaster has to be fresh in the Phillies minds and there has to at least be some consideration that moving a kid around might not be the optimal path. Stott and Bohm are both critical in that getting meaningful contributions from both as low priced players might allow for the Phillies to move forward after this year without Didi and Segura. In a best case scenario, the production of Bohm and Stott approaches that of Didi and Segura and you have $30m (roughly) off the books to allocate elsewhere. Envision that $30m being used to court De Grom and your rotation next year could become De Grom, Wheeler, Nola, Eflin, and Suarez. De Grom has at least said that he’s hitting the market after this year. If he’s healthy, the Phillies have to at least see if they are a potential fit.

But it means getting Stott and Bohm both productive and it means getting each to be the most comfortable version of themselves. After 2 weeks of watching these guys every day, the Bohm and Stott story lines will be the most impactful developments this year for me. If you are pleasantly surprised with both at season end for each of them, there is serious damage to be done.

Oct 12, 2021
So I was about to purchase MLB TV so I can see the games this summer, I live in Ahia, and for some reason I looked at my phone and it was a T-Mobile ad reminding me I get it for free starting April 5th. Nice :cool:

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Last year was 198 HRs and 94 errors. I would hope that they get to around 225-230 this year. Toronto somehow hit 262 HRs last year. Nuts.
I am not at all a fan of solo home runs. Lot of glitz. Much prefer high OPS, on base %, along with pitching and defense. The latter beat home runs all day long.
I don’t think we have enough pitching- better yes. And give the GM a lot of credit to date.
As noted elsewhere minor league and intl have to improve. Ultimately you have to develop the core of your team imo.

LundyPSU

Oct 14, 2021
I’ve been very interested in the notion of the Phillies reprising a super sub role for Stott given the disaster that resulted with a similar plan for Kingery. Kingery did mention the additional burden he felt by being shuttled all over the diamond. Every player is obviously different but the Kingery disaster has to be fresh in the Phillies minds and there has to at least be some consideration that moving a kid around might not be the optimal path. Stott and Bohm are both critical in that getting meaningful contributions from both as low priced players might allow for the Phillies to move forward after this year without Didi and Segura. In a best case scenario, the production of Bohm and Stott approaches that of Didi and Segura and you have $30m (roughly) off the books to allocate elsewhere. Envision that $30m being used to court De Grom and your rotation next year could become De Grom, Wheeler, Nola, Eflin, and Suarez. De Grom has at least said that he’s hitting the market after this year. If he’s healthy, the Phillies have to at least see if they are a potential fit.

But it means getting Stott and Bohm both productive and it means getting each to be the most comfortable version of themselves. After 2 weeks of watching these guys every day, the Bohm and Stott story lines will be the most impactful developments this year for me. If you are pleasantly surprised with both at season end for each of them, there is serious damage to be done.
Yeah, I like the concept of a Chris Taylor type player. But they are very rare, both physically and mentally. I agree with you about how critical it will be to have Bohm and Stott as significant contributors at lower cost. It may mean Bohm plays most of year in AAA with Stott at 3B. If Didi struggles or is hurt, then Stott slides over and Bohm back at 3B. I still think Bohm's home is at 1B which leads us back to the Hoskins trade possibility. Re: DeGrom, looks like he may be down for awhile with the shoulder issue.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
We have regular season playing baseball later this week. Let's go!!!!

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
So I was about to purchase MLB TV so I can see the games this summer, I live in Ahia, and for some reason I looked at my phone and it was a T-Mobile ad reminding me I get it for free starting April 5th. Nice :cool:

Oh nice. Yeah, I have an MLB TV account that I share with a few friends. I enjoy it.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
It's news to me. Sign stealing aside, I'm all for it if it helps speed up the game.
Not sure it'll speed anything up. Think about when a pitcher shakes off 3 pitches in a row and the catcher is typing on his wrist each time.

• Wow

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe they'll enlist Bellichick to scramble the signal?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Am I the first to hear of this?

Certainly not the 1st. They used it as a trial in A ball last year, and then used it in Spring Training this year. The reports were positive, so it seemed likely that it would be approved.

MLB had to get the MLB Players Association to approve it, and MLB teams have the option to use it or to not use it. It's also interesting that up to 3 fielders can be part of the electronic communications, so that they can set up their positioning based on the pitch.

Reactions: Grant Green

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Certainly not the 1st. They used it as a trial in A ball last year, and then used it in Spring Training this year. The reports were positive, so it seemed likely that it would be approved.

MLB had to get the MLB Players Association to approve it, and MLB teams have the option to use it or to not use it. It's also interesting that up to 3 fielders can be part of the electronic communications, so that they can set up their positioning based on the pitch.
Wow, had not heard of this. Interesting, to say the least. Will do some reading, thanks for the details here Tom.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

Moniak was clearly the story of this spring. I saw every game in Clearwater and the Phillies games in Dunedin as well. That’s as far as I drive now, not even going to Legends in Tampa. As I mentioned in another post, I consider Long to be the best addition they made this year. He’s arguably amongst the best in the game. Everyone assumes that coaches were in contact during the lockout but Long said he spent hours watching tapes of Moniak’s swing and hadn’t been in contact with him. When the lockout lifted, Long suggested the fix to Moniak. To be fair to past hitting coaches, the idea of moving closer to the plate HAD been suggested previously.

MM was buried, Joe even said when they were trying to sort out CF that he was not in the plans. Moniak hit his way into the mix.

I saw his change to be largely a result of accepting Long’s suggestion and also a mental change of just going out and playing. I think he knew he wasn’t really considered and he just went out there and played. He looks nothing like the person I saw years ago in Clearwater and Reading. He’s lean but strong and all his weight gain over the past couple of years is muscle even though he still looks very athletic.

There was one AB a couple of weeks ago where he hit 3 lasers foul, everything on the barrel. Then he hit a missile for a dinger. I remarked to my friend that you don’t see players on the ball like that very often. He literally hit just about everything hard for the last two weeks or so.

But as I watched that, it got me thinking. I said immediately to my friend that he’s on top of the plate. If you’re an old fart, you’ll understand the reference I made to him looking like a LH Frank Robinson. My friend immediately saw the same and remarked that pitches on the outside part of the plate have to look like pitches right down Broadway to him. Pitchers generally don’t pitch inside much and certainly not in the spring. But you know what’s coming. MM is going to get pushed off the plate and he’s going to have to have ridiculous discipline against lefty pitchers if and when he sees them. What happened yesterday at the Trop to MM isn’t going to be the only time that happens this year.

Offensively, Harper looks dialed in like second half Harper last year and you appreciate how Castellanos just punishes the baseball. But after just about every AB by MM this spring, my friend and I seemed to glance at each other. We both know that the spring means nothing but it ain’t easy to barrel nearly everything you see. Count me in as being intrigued. Did the light go on? We are going to find out.