2022 Phillies Thread

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
identity baller GIF by Trulioo

Phillies phans right now be like...

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
Crap. That's a buzzkill after the Turner news, but I get it. They're salary constrained now.
They aren’t signing another QO player. They already got turner so if they sign another one it cost them 2M in international bonus money and 4 draft picks. So bassit and eovaldi are off the table. Taillon is the most likely imo. Maybe still in on rodon if he doesn’t get the years he wants from other teams, but it’s still unlikely because he’s a QO guy.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
They aren’t signing another QO player. They already got turner so if they sign another one it cost them 2M in international bonus money and 4 draft picks. So bassit and eovaldi are off the table. Taillon is the most likely imo. Maybe still in on rodon if he doesn’t get the years he wants from other teams, but it’s still unlikely because he’s a QO guy.

Pretty accurate.

From a Philadelphia Inquirer article by Scott Lauber (I'd link it, but I'm pretty sure you have to be a subscriber to access):

Because Turner received a qualifying offer from his most recent team, the Los Angeles Dodgers, signing him will require the Phillies to give up a second-round draft pick. Dombrowski said they likely won’t sign two qualifying-offer free agents, which would take them out of the market for free-agent pitchers Carlos Rodón and Chris Bassitt.

“I don’t think we’d have much of an appetite for that,” Dombrowski said. “Not saying we never do it, but I would say there’s not much of an appetite.”

Corey Seidman's article (posted above) essentially says the same thing, though I don't think it has a quote from Dombrowski (can't remember if it did or not).

Reactions: Owenarndt

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Am I the only one pissed that Harper is having this surgery. Why have it??? Just to play the outfield??? Philly needs his bat, not his glove. Pissed that the Phils won't have Turner and him in the line-up from the get go...

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
Am I the only one pissed that Harper is having this surgery. Why have it??? Just to play the outfield??? Philly needs his bat, not his glove. Pissed that the Phils won't have Turner and him in the line-up from the get go...
He’s here for 8 more years and you’re upset that he’s going to miss 2 months? The team is much better with the ability to DH Castellanos and give other guys breaks without having the DH spot filled by Harper.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
He’s here for 8 more years and you’re upset that he’s going to miss 2 months? The team is much better with the ability to DH Castellanos and give other guys breaks without having the DH spot filled by Harper.
Hope you are right but I think you are wrong on the 2 months. Reports are the earliest he will be back is after the All Star break, more than likely August. Last time I checked the season starts the first week of April.

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
Hope you are right but I think you are wrong on the 2 months. Reports are the earliest he will be back is after the All Star break, more than likely August. Last time I checked the season starts the first week of April.
He’s going to be DH by June 1 and will be throwing towards the end of the regular season.

Reactions: Shadow99

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
He’s going to be DH by June 1 and will be throwing towards the end of the regular season.
Really, DH by June 1??? Could you provide a link? Because on this thread a Scott Lauber has reported that the Phil’s are hoping he will DH by the All Star break. I don’t think the AS game is before June 1. Yesterday Philly sports radio was saying they were hoping he was back for the last 60-70 games. Do the Phils play 90 games in April and May?

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
imho the surgery, although not ideal, was the best choice. It provides one definitive milestone that the "wait and see" approach would have never provided: a somewhat definitive recovery timeline.

Better to miss him for the first half of the season than to suddenly realize that surgery was required during the season and thereby miss the entire second half. This way, at least the clock has started. 🤷‍♂️

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
imho the surgery, although not ideal, was the best choice. It provides one definitive milestone that the "wait and see" approach would have never provided: a somewhat definitive recovery timeline.

Better to miss him for the first half of the season than to suddenly realize that surgery was required during the season and thereby miss the entire second half. This way, at least the clock has started. 🤷‍♂️

And you would rather the clock starts with months to go in the off season.

Reactions: Shadow99

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Congratulations on getting Turner, WSC2019, a great player, nobody is better in the clubhouse. A gem in every way. When he’s put in the HOF, I hope it’s as a National.

Latest posts