2022 Phillies Thread

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
You can’t just say get rid of hoskins and have no plan to replace him. There is no better option so you keep him this year

Reactions: bfpsu

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
You can’t just say get rid of hoskins and have no plan to replace him. There is no better option so you keep him this year
His replacement is already on the roster. Maybe Bohm but his defense at third markedly improved at the season progressed. Maybe Schwarber which would leave an outfield of Harper, Marsh, and Castellanos. Maybe Harper depending on the status of his elbow.

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
His replacement is already on the roster. Maybe Bohm but his defense at third markedly improved at the season progressed. Maybe Schwarber which would leave an outfield of Harper, Marsh, and Castellanos. Maybe Harper depending on the status of his elbow.
Schwarber played 1B in Boston and was worse defensively than even rhys is. Bohm was not even a league average hitter last year his bat doesn’t play at 1B. Harper is going to DH until he can play RF. Rhys is frustrating to watch but you’re not replacing his production with anyone available this offseason.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Schwarber played 1B in Boston and was worse defensively than even rhys is. Bohm was not even a league average hitter last year his bat doesn’t play at 1B. Harper is going to DH until he can play RF. Rhys is frustrating to watch but you’re not replacing his production with anyone available this offseason.
Not to mention that nobody trades starting pitching. The Phillies window is right now given their run. The only strange thing is that the Phillies normally do not let their better assets play out their walk year. But that might be exactly what happens with Hoskins. He’s a Boras guy and Boras believes he has a great relationship with Middleton so it will be interesting to see how it moves forward.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
A lot has to do with the business side. Hoskins is 30 will be a free agent after 2023. The big four contracts (Harper, Realmuto, Schwarber, Castellanos) are all signed through 2025. If they sign a high profile FA this off season, how much luxury tax would they be willing to pay? Instead of letting Hoskins walk after 2023, I'm sure they could find a value trade with a team looking for what Hoskins has to offer which is two or three homer streaks every season. He's a career .242 hitter who watches a lot of good pitches go by. 2022 was a career low OPS for him. IMO, trading Hoskins won't create the hole some imagine.

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2021
Rhys is a butcher at first but his bat while very streaky is still important in the lineup. His hrs in the playoffs won them a couple games more or less, but he is a butcher at first.

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
A lot has to do with the business side. Hoskins is 30 will be a free agent after 2023. The big four contracts (Harper, Realmuto, Schwarber, Castellanos) are all signed through 2025. If they sign a high profile FA this off season, how much luxury tax would they be willing to pay? Instead of letting Hoskins walk after 2023, I'm sure they could find a value trade with a team looking for what Hoskins has to offer which is two or three homer streaks every season. He's a career .242 hitter who watches a lot of good pitches go by. 2022 was a career low OPS for him. IMO, trading Hoskins won't create the hole some imagine.
The leagues ops was down this year so his year wasn’t as bad as you think. He’s only going to make 12 million this year and there’s no option to replace him. You let him play this year and then most likely let him walk

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Meh. More injury downside for the staff. No thanks.
More chips being pushed into the middle of the table. Phillies look at the season just completed and have determined (rightly) that bullpen games can’t be the model moving forward for the NLCS and WS. Bullpen games tax your pen which is already overworked to start in the post season. Also tells me that they don’t want to overwork Painter if he joins the rotation at some time and does well. His innings will need to be managed carefully in a first year in the majors (@LionJim will remind you of Strasburg).

This also gives me a peek that they might be thinking more of a Rodon/Xander combo as opposed to Turner. But this is classic Dombrowski blueprint for going all in and let the next guy pick up the pieces.

There will be a lot of noise to add to the pen as well. I was hard on Brogdon but watching him more closely, I realized that I was watching the potential second coming of Madson. Tall drink of water with a devastating change coming off the fastball. He just didn’t like the fastball coming out of his hand. This offseason and spring, I’d emphasize that it has to start with #1. Maybe his fastball is too string straight and he doesn’t have confidence. But there is enough there and if he falls in with Seranthony and Alvarado they have three power arms with nasty second pitches. Brogdon could be HUGE and they could very well have the piece already in place.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
More chips being pushed into the middle of the table. Phillies look at the season just completed and have determined (rightly) that bullpen games can’t be the model moving forward for the NLCS and WS. Bullpen games tax your pen which is already overworked to start in the post season. Also tells me that they don’t want to overwork Painter if he joins the rotation at some time and does well. His innings will need to be managed carefully in a first year in the majors (@LionJim will remind you of Strasburg).

This also gives me a peek that they might be thinking more of a Rodon/Xander combo as opposed to Turner. But this is classic Dombrowski blueprint for going all in and let the next guy pick up the pieces.

There will be a lot of noise to add to the pen as well. I was hard on Brogdon but watching him more closely, I realized that I was watching the potential second coming of Madson. Tall drink of water with a devastating change coming off the fastball. He just didn’t like the fastball coming out of his hand. This offseason and spring, I’d emphasize that it has to start with #1. Maybe his fastball is too string straight and he doesn’t have confidence. But there is enough there and if he falls in with Seranthony and Alvarado they have three power arms with nasty second pitches. Brogdon could be HUGE and they could very well have the piece already in place.
Rodon pitched 178 innings last year with a 2.88 ERA. I take back my post. That's good workhorse type stuff that this staff needs. It also possibly bumps Painter into a #4 or #5 role with a lot less pressure. If it happens, then it feels like a legit addition provided he stays healthy.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021

We need another starter period, so Rodon will be a solid pickup. While Xander had a better statistical year then Turner. He’s not a lead off hitter so Drea adds more to the lineup being he is.
Turner, Hoskins, Harper, Schwarber, Realmuto, Castellanos, Marsh, Bohm, Stot

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I was hard on Brogdon but watching him more closely, I realized that I was watching the potential second coming of Madson. Tall drink of water with a devastating change coming off the fastball. He just didn’t like the fastball coming out of his hand. This offseason and spring, I’d emphasize that it has to start with #1. Maybe his fastball is too string straight and he doesn’t have confidence.

He certainly is built like Madson. And after performing poorly down the stretch, he did quite well in the WS. Like you, I changed my analysis of him.

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
We need another starter period, so Rodon will be a solid pickup. While Xander had a better statistical year then Turner. He’s not a lead off hitter so Drea adds more to the lineup being he is.
Turner, Hoskins, Harper, Schwarber, Realmuto, Castellanos, Marsh, Bohm, Stot
Can’t have Hoskins in the 2 slot. I’d put him after Castellanos

Reactions: WestSideLion

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Can’t have Hoskins in the 2 slot. I’d put him after Castellanos
Agree he’s a streaky hitter, and ideally you want a higher OBP in the 2slot.
I won’t rule out him being traded for a starting pitcher. He has value, just a matter of who plays first. Hoskins isn’t exactly a defensive wizard so maybe you try Schwarber at first

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
He certainly is built like Madson. And after performing poorly down the stretch, he did quite well in the WS. Like you, I changed my analysis of him.
One of the most respected guys in the room who got flushed with the new way of playing the game was Charlie Kerfeld. When he spoke, you listened. Kerfeld was HUGE on mound demeanor. He was more interested in how you responded when you were in a jam versus how you presented when things were going well. I often think of how he would have reacted to Brogdon.

Brogdon is an unfinished story and any ending is possible. But that one game when he went multiple innings and struck out the side (if memory is right) to finish caught my attention.

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
I won’t rule out him being traded for a starting pitcher. He has value, just a matter of who plays first. Hoskins isn’t exactly a defensive wizard so maybe you try Schwarber at first
If that were to Happen, I Would like to see the Phil’s sign Trey Mancini. While he had an off year in ‘22, he’s a good hitter and better defender than Hoskins. He can DH, play first or the corner outfield positions.

Reactions: Hardslider33

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021

Folks on the radio don't seem happy with him waiting until the day before Thanksgiving to get a surgery that can rule him out of the first portion of the season.
At least they are taking care of it instead of extending the "wait and see" approach, which could lead to the same issue arising again later if there is moderate recovery or could allow for it to continue indefinitely as-is if rest and rehab alone still don't work at all. At least this way the timeline to recovery, whatever that may be, has a definitive starting point . 🤷‍♂️

Lacklions

Dec 23, 2021
He does not have value. He’s a Dh/1B on his final year of an arb deal. That severely limits what teams will even consider trading for him because he’s just a rental.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
He does not have value. He’s a Dh/1B on his final year of an arb deal. That severely limits what teams will even consider trading for him because he’s just a rental.
He has value because he’s still an arbitration player. He not demanding 20M a season and hits 25+ hrs and 80 RBI’s. He basically the only real trade piece they have. The rest are either salary restrictive, a piece they don’t want to move or have no real value.

Reactions: LionJim

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
One of the most respected guys in the room who got flushed with the new way of playing the game was Charlie Kerfeld. When he spoke, you listened. Kerfeld was HUGE on mound demeanor. He was more interested in how you responded when you were in a jam versus how you presented when things were going well. I often think of how he would have reacted to Brogdon.

Brogdon is an unfinished story and any ending is possible. But that one game when he went multiple innings and struck out the side (if memory is right) to finish caught my attention.
Brogdon is like a lot of relievers in the MLB they are up and down, even the best go through rough patches...see Hader this year right after trade to SD..he was terrible, but then got straight. Brogdon has good stuff, he needs to keep his FB velo up in the 96-98 range vs 94-95 range and then control that nasty CU and he can be elite. The experience last year should help.