2022 World Cup - General Discussion & Non-USA teams thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Boy, really heated interactions between the Swiss and Serbian players. No love lost.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
A down World Cup for Latin America ... this is their lowest number of teams in the Round of 16 since before the 2000s.

Last edited:

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
This makes as much sense as having a second rectum. God, the FIFA is full of corrupt idiots. I hadn’t heard of this until today and it makes me want to beat my head against the wall. The last four days have been so, so extraordinarily exciting, loved it.
I’m hoping that FIFA shifts to an alternative option of having the bottom 32 teams play single play in games to begin the tourney to get to 16, then those combine with the top 16 teams to make eight 4 team groups like now and it plays out the same. It adds an extra game for those teams (so if one of them made it to the final, they’d have an extra game compared to the champion now) and extends the length of the tourney which are things the major (European) leagues don’t like. It’s also a bit harder on those lower ranked teams but most of them are in the “just happy to be playing in the WC” situation anyway and could get the glory of an opening win.

Anything is better than 3 team groups. That structure just sucks.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Argentina 2-1 Australia at 92’, five minutes of stoppage left. I was about to say that Australia just can’t keep possession and then Messi takes a shot, out, goal kick.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Australia’s last-chance shot almost goes in, a great save. 2-1 full time.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
France-Poland at 10. I doubt Poland will put up much of a fight.

England-Senegal at 2 could be interesting.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Am I the only one that finds the quality of the Fox announcers to be turrible? Very little actual play by play calling. What little analysis they offer is pathetic: Dembelé is a good player, Mbappé is both good and fast, Lewandowski looks frustrated, etc. Too much of human interest back stories during the game.

Reactions: LionJim

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Am I the only one that finds the quality of the Fox announcers to be turrible? Very little actual play by play calling. What little analysis they offer is pathetic: Dembelé is a good player, Mbappé is both good and fast, Lewandowski looks frustrated, etc. Too much of human interest back stories during the game.
I also don’t understand why they think they have to use British commentators. The female host is particularly tough to take. Can’t believe they can’t find some American commentators who understand the sport.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I also don’t understand why they think they have to use British commentators. The female host is particularly tough to take. Can’t believe they can’t find some American commentators who understand the sport.

In general, I prefer British commentators as they usually focus on calling the actual play on the field. I only wish I was savvy enough to figure out how to use VPNs so I could access the British radio commentary to go with my DirectTV feed.

In my opinion, the commentary teams from Fox are two color commentators that spend half of their time discussing human interest stories.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
England 3-0 Senegal at 63’. I’m watching the Commanders.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
In general, I prefer British commentators as they usually focus on calling the actual play on the field. I only wish I was savvy enough to figure out how to use VPNs so I could access the British radio commentary to go with my DirectTV feed.

In my opinion, the commentary teams from Fox are two color commentators that spend half of their time discussing human interest stories.

I was bummed when I saw the World Cup would be on fox. They can never get it right, even for the NFL and especially for college football. Any TV channel that will let an announcer say “Charlie Sizzle” over and over should never get another sporting event

Latest posts