2022 World Cup - General Discussion & Non-USA teams thread

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Alexi Lalas can be a blowhard at times.

On the 2nd goal by Japan, I freely acknowledge that it's debatable as to whether the ball was over the goal line before it was passed to the attacker that scored. Unless we are provided with all the video that the VAR officials looked at, that debate will never be resolved.

The ruling by VAR was that it was indeterminate as to whether or not the ball was out of bounds. As such, the ruling on the field stands.

Lalas keeps going on and on that the AR raised the flag. However, on the far half of the goal line (i.e., the part of the goal line on the other side of the goal from the AR), the decision on whether or not it's OOB is made by the center ref. FWIW, even on the same side of the goal as the AR, the AR's raising of the flag to signal OOB is taken as a recommendation or guidance, but the ruling is still left to the center ref. Most of the time the center ref will go with the AR's ruling, but they do not have to if they have a different opinion. The final decision is left to the center ref. So, despite what Lalas is claiming, the ruling on the field is not based on what the AR did, but on what the center ref called.

To expand a bit upon this, for @ 5 years before VAR was first employed in 2016, FIFA allowed goal-line judges to be employed along the goal line, in addition to the 3 refs. Their responsibility was solely for the goal line, primarily to determine whether or not a ball in the goal completely crossed the goal line. For reasons that never made a lot of sense to me, the goal line refs were placed on the same side of the field/goal line as were the ARs. So while they were an improvement on determining whether or not a ball crossed the line, they at times got in the way of the AR seeing whether a ball crossed the goal line outside of the goal.

The area of the goal line that is absolutely the most difficult for the AR to make calls on is just on the other side of the goal from where they are standing. The two goal posts, and at times the goalie and players, are between the AR and the goal line, and you can't see through them. That's why the center ref is responsible for calls on that part of the line.
I thought the ball has a chip in it for such contingencies

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I thought the ball has a chip in it for such contingencies

the World Cup balls (made by Adidas) do have chips in them (called Connected Ball Technology). It's supposed to help with offside calls and with goals (whether the ball passed the goal line).

I don't know too much about it, as that technology is not used in any other soccer competitions, including the Premier League.

I haven't seen a lot of details about how it works, so I can't speak to whether or not it could determine whether the ball had crossed the goal line outside of the goal area.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
You’re not actually listening to what I’m saying. You just want to argue, and make it some kind of weird rush to defend soccer’s honor, for some reason. Have a nice day.
Actually I heard you and you didn't listen to my response or understand it. All of the professional athletes practice countless hours on their craft, but you didn't understand how it wasn't repeatable as often. It depends on the yards, the angle, wind....just like in golf little things can move the ball off quite a bit. If your plant foot as a kicker in football slips a little...it can lead to a missed EP....same thing in soccer, but then you are also trying to either get the ball up and down over a wall or bend it around it. You aren't just looking to get it on goal. You will see tons of direct kicks in every match as you said, but it's missed more often than not as you're trying to put he ball in a 2 foot by 2 foot space from 25+ yards out. Then most pro keepers tend to be 6-3 or taller so they also can cover some space so the accuracy has to be spot on along with the movement around a wall with a ton of pace. Almost all pros can put the ball into a 2x2 space in perfect conditions and no pace on the ball at all. The problem is trying to hit it hard enough and with enough accuracy to beat the keeper and hit that target.

Hopefully you understand what is being said and stop being so defensive now with me. Have a great night and hopefully this explanation helped. If not, my bad maybe someone else can explain it better.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

On the 2nd goal by Japan, I freely acknowledge that it's debatable as to whether the ball was over the goal line before it was passed to the attacker that scored. Unless we are provided with all the video that the VAR officials looked at, that debate will never be resolved.

The ruling by VAR was that it was indeterminate as to whether or not the ball was out of bounds. As such, the ruling on the field stands.

Lalas keeps going on and on that the AR raised the flag. However, on the far half of the goal line (i.e., the part of the goal line on the other side of the goal from the AR), the decision on whether or not it's OOB is made by the center ref. FWIW, even on the same side of the goal as the AR, the AR's raising of the flag to signal OOB is taken as a recommendation or guidance, but the ruling is still left to the center ref. Most of the time the center ref will go with the AR's ruling, but they do not have to if they have a different opinion. The final decision is left to the center ref. So, despite what Lalas is claiming, the ruling on the field is not based on what the AR did, but on what the center ref called.

To expand a bit upon this, for @ 5 years before VAR was first employed in 2016, FIFA allowed goal-line judges to be employed along the goal line, in addition to the 3 refs. Their responsibility was solely for the goal line, primarily to determine whether or not a ball in the goal completely crossed the goal line. For reasons that never made a lot of sense to me, the goal line refs were placed on the same side of the field/goal line as were the ARs. So while they were an improvement on determining whether or not a ball crossed the line, they at times got in the way of the AR seeing whether a ball crossed the goal line outside of the goal.

The area of the goal line that is absolutely the most difficult for the AR to make calls on is just on the other side of the goal from where they are standing. The two goal posts, and at times the goalie and players, are between the AR and the goal line, and you can't see through them. That's why the center ref is responsible for calls on that part of the line.

Found this

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Found this

yeah, I saw that. It's not a perfect picture in that it's from slightly upfield of the goal line, but it's the best one I've seen of the play in question.

The rule is that the entire ball, not just the part in contact with the field, must be over the line for the ball to be out of bounds. The AR is trained to look down the line (though the goal posts, and sometimes players and the goalie get in the AR's way), and doesn't raise the flag until they can see a gap between the ball and the line. The center ref has a more difficult view, as they're upfield from the line. They typically look for some distance between the part of the ball in contact with the field and the back of the line, and are also seeking verbal input from the AR (if miked up) or the flag being raised by the AR.

Based on the picture, where there is no gap between the edge of the ball and the end of the line, it looks as though the ball is not out of bounds. As it's not exactly along the goal line, we can't say for sure if the ball is or is not out of bounds.

Reactions: LionJim

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Muller has had such a great international career and shined heavily in the past at WC's. Sucks he's going out like this as he just always had a knack for putting the ball in the net for Germany in WC's. Feels like 20 years now he has been there.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Muller has had such a great international career and shined heavily in the past at WC's. Sucks he's going out like this as he just always had a knack for putting the ball in the net for Germany in WC's. Feels like 20 years now he has been there.
Yeah, DeBruyne and Lukaku, too. It’s hard to go out like that.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Portugal-South Korea and Ghana-Uruguay at 10.

Portugal 6 pts 3 GD
Ghana 3 pts, 0 GD
South Korea 1 pt, -1 GD
Uruguay 1 pt, -2 GD.

Portugal is in. Ghana is win and in.

If Ghana draws: Ghana is in with a South Korea loss or draw. South Korea is in with a win, eliminated with a loss or draw. Uruguay is eliminated.

If Ghana loses: Ghana is eliminated. South Korea is eliminated with a loss or draw, Uruguay is in. If South Korea wins, then it comes down to GD to decide who goes; Uruguay needs to win by one more goal than South Korea does to even the GD.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
German soccer is going through a difficult period. This is now the second World Cup in a row in which they have failed to qualify for the knockouts. In the 2018–19 Nations League they finished last in their group, in last year's Euros they crashed out in the Round of 16, and currently in the Nations League they are in 3rd place out of the four teams in their group.

All of this mediocrity despite some amazing players and a fairly strong domestic league.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Though not always, in many instances I root for the non-European teams to qualify out of the groups. 1) I like the perceived underdogs, and 2) with the way world soccer is centered around Europe and UEFA, I like seeing European countries get humbled by the fact that the game is growing and becoming quite good elsewhere in the world.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Just my opinion, but Derek Rae is the best soccer commentator who lives in the United States. I wish Fox had him permanently signed as the commentator of USMNT games.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Terrible call in Ghana - Uruguay. Ghana takes a shot, but a Ghanan player is in an offside position and the ball goes through his legs. Offside is NOT called. The ball rebounds off the keeper, the keeper scampers to try to gather it, and there is a bang-bang play between him and a Ghanan attacker. They go to VAR, and call a foul on the GK. Fortunately for Uruguay, the GK stops the PK shot.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Terrible call in Ghana - Uruguay. Ghana takes a shot, but a Ghanan player is in an offside position and the ball goes through his legs. Offside is NOT called.

interesting. They just showed a replay, and the Ghanan played was not in an offside position, as an Uruguay defender was just a tad behind him. My bad.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Uruguay strikes first, in the 25 minute mark. 1-0, Uruguay over Ghana

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Uruguay with a 2nd goal in the 31st minute. 2-0, Uruguay

Last edited: