2022 World Cup - General Discussion & Non-USA teams thread

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
And this is why FIFA cannot allow the group stage format change to three teams per group in 2026. Find a way, FIFA. What drama we've had.

Reactions: doctornick

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Wow, this is a mess. There are game players and bench players challenging the refs, touching the refs, following them into the tunnel, etc. None of that is allowed. A different ref, and you likely would have seen all kinds of red cards issued.

Reactions: Alphabets

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
Wow, this is a mess. There are game players and bench players challenging the refs, touching the refs, following them into the tunnel, etc. None of that is allowed. A different ref, and you likely would have seen all kinds of red cards issued.

The refs were just showing them the way to the airport.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

Question from someone who doesn't know soccer well....

If the game is over and the team is done for the tournament, would red cards have had any effect?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Uruguay, act like you’ve been there before. I’m sure they’ve lost before.

GreggK

May 25, 2022

If the game is over and the team is done for the tournament, would red cards have had any effect?

No, as far as I know, they wouldn't since they are out.(99.9% sure there isn't any sanction that carries over into other tournements)

However, if they were still in, it would mean that player couldn't play the next game.

Reactions: PSU87

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

Yes. Next official National team match, you can’t play. edit: checking VAR.

Yeah, I found an iffy link that says that the player must miss the next official match. If I’m wrong, we’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: PSU87

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
No, as far as I know, they wouldn't since they are out.(99.9% sure there isn't any sanction that carries over into other tournements)

However, if they were still in, it would mean that player couldn't play the next game.
You’re saying they’d have been ghanas?

🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BobPSU92 and GreggK

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I was watching Portugal-South Korea most of the morning and missed the late brouhaha about Uruguay being fouled in the box. I didn’t get much clarification from the replay I did see, so would appreciate hearing opinions on this. I suspect this was what the Uruguay players were incensed about after the final whistle. From what I saw, I was surprised a PK was not awarded.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I was watching Portugal-South Korea most of the morning and missed the late brouhaha about Uruguay being fouled in the box. I didn’t get much clarification from the replay I did see, so would appreciate hearing opinions on this. I suspect this was what the Uruguay players were incensed about after the final whistle. From what I saw, I was surprised a PK was not awarded.
The issue I had was the one that was given to Ghana earlier wasn't much of a foul. They need to stop awarding people for dragging their feet to initiate contact. Thankfully it was saved so no harm no foul. Cavani's wasn't a foul IMO, he was beaten to the ball.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

This one? In stoppage time:

A legal shoulder-to-shoulder challenge. Not even close to a PK.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Switzerland-Serbia and Brazil-Cameroon.

Brazil 6 pts, +3 GD
Switzerland 3 pts, +0 GD
Cameroon 1 pt, -1 GD
Serbia 1 pt, -2 GD

Brazil: In.

Switzerland: In with a win. In with a draw and Cameroon draw or loss. GD with a draw and Cameroon win. Eliminated with a loss.

Cameroon: GD with a win and a Switzerland loss. GD with a win and Switzerland draw. Eliminated with a win and a Switzerland win. Eliminated with a draw or loss.

Serbia: In with a win and a Cameroon draw or loss. GD with a win and a Cameroon win. Eliminated with a draw or loss.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland takes the lead at the 19 minute mark, 1-0, over over Serbia.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
Just my opinion, but Derek Rae is the best soccer commentator who lives in the United States. I wish Fox had him permanently signed as the commentator of USMNT games.
Just FWIW but Turner is the new home of USNT soccer come 2023. So TBS/TNT and HBO Max.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
The last day of group stage, doesn’t get much better than this.
Yeah, these games always so awesome with different permutations. I really hate that they are shifting to a boring 3 team group stage in the expansion in 2026. I preferred the setup that had a single game elimination for the bottom half of teams then a 4 team group stage

GreggK

May 25, 2022
We want Brazil to finish second so after the USA beat Netherlands and then Argentina, they can have a break before playing Brazil in the final.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, these games always so awesome with different permutations. I really hate that they are shifting to a boring 3 team group stage in the expansion in 2026.
This makes as much sense as having a second rectum. God, the FIFA is full of corrupt idiots. I hadn’t heard of this until today and it makes me want to beat my head against the wall. The last four days have been so, so extraordinarily exciting, loved it.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Serbia 2-3 Switzerland at 48’. Sloppy Serbian D and the Swiss made them pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Serbia 2-3 Switzerland at 48’. Sloppy Serbian D and the Swiss made them pay.
Switzerland gets a rebound right in front of the net, pushes it wide. How? That had goal written all over it.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Switzerland 3-2 Serbia at 80’. I think there will be at least 7 stoppage minutes added. Serbia still has time.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Switzerland 3-2 Serbia at 80’. I think there will be at least 7 stoppage minutes added. Serbia still has time.
Now 90’ with 7 minutes stoppage. Serbia has not had a decent shot since I last posted. I think it’s over, Switzerland too solid.

Latest posts