2022 World Cup - USA team thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
A PK is awarded to Wales. A mistake by the USA defender.

Bale to take the PK for Wales.

And Bale scores at the 81 minute mark on the PK to tie it up, 1-1. Matt Turner guessed right for the USA< but Bale got the ball past him on the PK.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
USA has picked it up. Boy, a lost opportunity, bad pass in the box.

They did pick it up. On the play you commented on, the USA really had a great set up in and around the box, but an entry pass (I think it was after a shot and a rebound) was terrible, and enabled Wales to clear the ball.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Horrible decision by Zimmerman, Bale wasn't in a dangerous position, didn't need to challenge.

totally agree. Bale had his back to the goal. Zimmerman stuck his leg between Bale's legs, and got the ball first, but a challenge from behind in the penalty box is dumb, and often results in a PK if the player that is challenged from behind goes down.

Reactions: Daveb9127

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
9 minutes of stoppage time added. And there have already been a couple of stoppages in stoppage time, so who knows how long the stoppage time will take.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Nine minutes stoppage time. The other two matches today were 8’ and 10’; is there a water break? (I’m cleaning the house, catching three out of every five minutes on my Kindle.)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Frustrating, but that’s soccer.

USA needed to take better advantage of how much they dominated play in the 1st half.

Wales was pushing the play in the 2nd half, and may have scored on their own. But Zimmerman's foul which created the PK was a huge mistake, and the difference maker.

The USA let 3 points slip away.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Are you surprised?
I was texting with a soccer-savvy friend before the match and he says Wales wins. Am I surprised at the result? Not really, because I’ve seen plenty of unbelievable soccer moments in my day. What I am is disappointed. This might sound rough, but the fact remains that one bad decision cost us the win. I’m not judging, and many matches are decided on these kind of screw ups, but that’s a fact. We had the match in hand and we gave up two points. I’m beyond disappointed, but not surprised. But there’s always the next match, and we can win.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I was texting with a soccer-savvy friend before the match and he says Wales wins. Am I surprised at the result? Not really, because I’ve seen plenty of unbelievable soccer moments in my day. What I am is disappointed. This might sound rough, but the fact remains that one bad decision cost us the win. I’m not judging, and many matches are decided on these kind of screw ups, but that’s a fact. We had the match in hand and we gave up two points. I’m beyond disappointed, but not surprised. But there’s always the next match, and we can win.
But we should give Wales credit for the run up to their goal, the throw-in was perfectly executed. I’m thinking of the last-second TCU field goal that won the game, that exhibited same kind of awareness and execution.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Nine minutes stoppage time. The other two matches today were 8’ and 10’; is there a water break? (I’m cleaning the house, catching three out of every five minutes on my Kindle.)
I kinda like it. Actually playing 90 minutes. BTW, they added 14 minutes to the first half in the England - Iran match - medical treatment for a nasty head injury.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
We are better than wales and should have won this game.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Brilliant assist from Pulisic and a fantastic by Weah, who is basically my favorite player on this team.

It’s the mentality change coming out of halftime that frustrates me the most. I’ve seen it all too often before.

Zimmerman has to be smarter there. He was looking at the ball and went to ground to deflect it, but he has to have spatial awareness and know that Bale is right there in front of him. A terrible momentary decision to go to ground. Needless penalty in the end.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Brilliant assist from Pulisic and a fantastic by Weah, who is basically my favorite player on this team.

It’s the mentality change coming out of halftime that frustrates me the most. I’ve seen it all too often before.

Zimmerman has to be smarter there. He was looking at the ball and went to ground to deflect it, but he has to have spatial awareness and know that Bale is right there in front of him. A terrible momentary decision to go to ground. Needless penalty in the end.

If it were up to me Zimmerman wouldn’t be in this team in the first place. Our CBs would be Jones and Carter Vickers.

Also, Yedlin?! Morris?! Acosta?! That’s your answer?!

Last edited:

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
We were the better team and we gave them a point with our defensive play in the 2nd half. If we can play like we did in the 1st half for a full 90, we can play with anyone. The passing was on point. The runs were threatening and the play of Adams and the defense was smothering.

GreggK

May 25, 2022

I’m never surprised by Berhalters ability to mess things up.

Latest posts