2023 Eagles Thread

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
Well great then explain why they went from 10-1 to 11-6? Having draft picks doesn’t win games
Well….as the wrecked season ended and the smoke cleared it has become fairly obvious ( IMO) that the reason for the sudden fail is the result of what I will call the failure cocktail :

1) Massive injuries on defense

2) Both rookie D lineman hit a wall and simply ran out of gas

3) Epically bad mix of new Coach’s both on Defense and Offense who simply failed to adapt their schemes once the league started to figure it out

4) Jalen Hurts was injured for a good part of the season and they limited him safe….non running plays…..it took the teeth out of their RPO….became easier to defense. When he did run he was tentative etc.

5) Head Coach Nick did not react well to all of the above drama and is lucky he is still the HC. IMO….he will learn and is now surrounded by proven veteran coach’s

sooooo….there you have it , a witches brew of bad ingredients that tanked the season.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

Impressive work by Howie. They have quite a bit of maneuverability with Reddick. They’ll want to roll quite a bit of that space into next year, and with 9 draft picks they may be able to do that.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

Impressive work by Howie. They have quite a bit of maneuverability with Reddick. They’ll want to roll quite a bit of that space into next year, and with 9 draft picks they may be able to do that.

Did I miss something w Reddick?

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Did I miss something w Reddick?
They gave him permission to seek a trade because he isn’t happy with his contract. He wants more $ and the Eagles are allowing him to set the market. They did the same with Sweat who restructured his deal to stay.

I think they’d like to keep Reddick.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
They gave him permission to seek a trade because he isn’t happy with his contract. He wants more $ and the Eagles are allowing him to set the market. They did the same with Sweat who restructured his deal to stay.

and correct me if i'm wrong, but that's where your post points out that IF they want to keep him they have some cap leeway to give him a bit more money, which to be honest is the opposite of where I thought they were with the cap right now. With the barkley and huff moves, I thought they'd be a bit more close to the limit.

dude.... howie is a freaking master.....

Reactions: WestSideLion

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

Ok Thks. I’ve seen that reported, I just didn’t understand how he would help the current cap situation. I think he plays this yr w the Eagles under his current contract. But we will see

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
and correct me if i'm wrong, but that's where your post points out that IF they want to keep him they have some cap leeway to give him a bit more money, which to be honest is the opposite of where I thought they were with the cap right now. With the barkley and huff moves, I thought they'd be a bit more close to the limit.

dude.... howie is a freaking master.....
Correct. They can pay Reddick some amount more IF they want to.

Part of me wonders how Reddick, Sweat and Huff (and Graham and Smith) all fit in. It’s a lot of DEs to play.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Correct. They can pay Reddick some amount more IF they want to.

Part of me wonders how Reddick, Sweat and Huff (and Graham and Smith) all fit in. It’s a lot of DEs to play.

Yeah I am wondering how this group helps Fangio employ his base 3-4 D. I can see BG as a 3-4 DE. maybe sweat as well. but I can see reddick and huff and Smith as LBers which concerns me with coverage. I think my point is, i'm concerned that the transition from 4-3 to 3-4 is gonna cause some issues early on. Granted Reddick has played off-ball LB in AZ (from what I saw, a lot of pass rush paired with zone drops) but didn't put up a ton of numbers when he did so. Sweat has always played hand in the dirt. same as BG. I read that he jets ran a wide-9 1 gap tech a lot of the time, so interested to see what Huff does.

Overall, a lot of things in the air. hope Fangio gets them all settled as early as possible.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Yeah I am wondering how this group helps Fangio employ his base 3-4 D. I can see BG as a 3-4 DE. maybe sweat as well. but I can see reddick and huff and Smith as LBers which concerns me with coverage. I think my point is, i'm concerned that the transition from 4-3 to 3-4 is gonna cause some issues early on. Granted Reddick has played off-ball LB in AZ (from what I saw, a lot of pass rush paired with zone drops) but didn't put up a ton of numbers when he did so. Sweat has always played hand in the dirt. same as BG. I read that he jets ran a wide-9 1 gap tech a lot of the time, so interested to see what Huff does.

Overall, a lot of things in the air. hope Fangio gets them all settled as early as possible.
As long as Fangio doesn't drop BG and Reddick into coverage like the Bozos did last season and actually pressure the QB I think we will be okay.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
As long as Fangio doesn't drop BG and Reddick into coverage like the Bozos did last season and actually pressure the QB I think we will be okay.

This is the problem I see with Reddick though. he's not big enough to be a hand-in-the-dirt 3-4 DE, but he was a bad liability in pass coverage last year. granted i don't know if he was in man or zone last year (he's played zone before in AZ so i'm hoping he played man last year, which would explain the terrible coverage he played)

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Guess this pretty much seals the deal that there will be at least 1 OL drafted in probably the first 2 picks.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
interesting what Roob had to say about RB. I tend to agree with him on that.

I somewhat agree with him. Roob strictly goes by the numbers which I get. For me looking into it more Barkley has had nothing but a matador Oline with the Giants. He had to do everything by himself. The Giants had no other weapons. Their QB/Oline/TE/Wrs all stink. So of course Barkley's numbers would be lower when teams key on him and force Jones to beat you over the top with no weapons. It definitely is a risk for the Eagles, we have to see if Barkley can rebound from being so beat up the last couple of years. If he can then its going to be amazing their firepower. If he continues to get hurt and stumble across the finish line then this gamble will be a bad one.

Reactions: s1uggo72

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I somewhat agree with him. Roob strictly goes by the numbers which I get. For me looking into it more Barkley has had nothing but a matador Oline with the Giants. He had to do everything by himself. The Giants had no other weapons. Their QB/Oline/TE/Wrs all stink. So of course Barkley's numbers would be lower when teams key on him and force Jones to beat you over the top with no weapons. It definitely is a risk for the Eagles, we have to see if Barkley can rebound from being so beat up the last couple of years. If he can then its going to be amazing their firepower. If he continues to get hurt and stumble across the finish line then this gamble will be a bad one.
personally I think the Eagles O works best with a 4-5-6 RB, SB tends to be a 0,-2,0, 30 ,SB seems to always wants to break the big one, but doesnt take the 5 yds when it is there. we will see.

Reactions: Bwifan

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
interesting what Roob had to say about RB. I tend to agree with him on that.

All the options they had at RB had plusses and minuses.

I liked D'Andre Swift a lot, and felt that he was underutilized in the 2nd half of this past season. Alas, the Birds were getting blitzed like crazy, and Swift wasn't the best at handling that.

Sa-Sa is a feel-good story as a PSU fan. IF (which is a big question mark) he can stay healthy, he should be a great addition to the Birds, as they have so many options on O that teams will not be able to key on him (as they did when he was with the G-Men). His blocking is better than what Swift offered, though there are rumblings that his blocking is somewhat overrated, and I believe the G-Men also switching him out toward the end of last season on obvious passing downs.

As @Bwifan concluded, if Barkley continues to get injured, the Birds will regret the decision they made. But on the flip side, if he stays healthy, I think the Birds and Birds' fans will really enjoy his addition to the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: s1uggo72 and Bwifan

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
now that is a crying shame, the Eagles have alot invested in a guy they know can play, sorry to let him walk.

Yeah, I would have liked to see Driscoll return.

I've yet to see much analysis by the beat writers on his departure. Unfortunately, the news seems to have broken just toward the end of Pickett's press conference, so that has been their focus/coverage.

If the Fish paid him a lot, I could see why the Birds passed. Driscoll's flexibility was a great thing for the Birds. Hopefully, Steen can either man the RG spot, or can become a great backup at RG and RT (for the next season or two).

Reactions: s1uggo72

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Yeah, I would have liked to see Driscoll return.

I've yet to see much analysis by the beat writers on his departure. Unfortunately, the news seems to have broken just toward the end of Pickett's press conference, so that has been their focus/coverage.

Here's some analysis:

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Here's some analysis:

well to beat a dead horse, I'd rather keep my own, who I have trained then some some slug off the street that hasnt been Stout trained (hey did make a move to replenish their depth, signing veteran Matt Hennessy to a one-year deal.) the money has to be the same. Landon Dickenson can play center if they need him to. Steen isnt ready for a starting RG gig.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
well to beat a dead horse, I'd rather keep my own, who I have trained then some some slug off the street that hasnt been Stout trained (hey did make a move to replenish their depth, signing veteran Matt Hennessy to a one-year deal.) the money has to be the same. Landon Dickenson can play center if they need him to. Steen isnt ready for a starting RG gig.
Will be interesting to see how far Steen has progressed. Stout will no doubt be grinding on him and RG is open if he were to progress enough. Who they draft whether its oline. If so to me says they don't have enough confidence in Steen yet.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Will be interesting to see how far Steen has progressed. Stout will no doubt be grinding on him and RG is open if he were to progress enough. Who they draft whether its oline. If so to me says they don't have enough confidence in Steen yet.
I do not think Steen is strong enough yet.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
If I were Howie, I'd try to sign Kevin Zeitler to man RG for a season or two, while Steen continues learning OG. I'm not sure how much Zeitler is looking for, but he's been a good OG in the league for several years, and I believe he's still unsigned.

Howie, you're killing me.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

Looks like he gone….

of course things could change

• Sad
Reactions: TheBigUglies

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Interesting. Trading him makes sense with all the other DEs on the roster. Is there a scenario where he’d delay the bonus as a goodwill in contract negotiations?
anything is possible, remember last year some thought CJ was in and Bradberry and Slay were out? how did that work out.?