Who Knew?
From our Metro days and recently We absolutely own
FSU 19-2
Louisville 18-4
Va Tech 15-6 but we have not played since 1990

Other than CU the most played ACC teams

NCSU 12-20
UNC 9-11
My kingdom for one win over a certain Big 10 school.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Missouri is losing one late.

Thanks, just read up on this. I think she was looking to have a break out year. It appears she has decided to transfer AFTER the portal had closed. Will she be ripped to sub atomic shreds for violating the space time continuum or will she be able to play next season and if so, where?

Reactions: Sis_aac9

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I wonder how many transfers are related to poor academics.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks, just read up on this. I think she was looking to have a break out year. It appears she has decided to transfer AFTER the portal had closed. Will she be ripped to sub atomic shreds for violating the space time continuum or will she be able to play next season and if so, where?
She'd have to play some kind of hole card to play next year - seems like to me - produce some sort of hardship pretext.

Reactions: 8CCoupe

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
WNBA is brutal
Hardest league to make for a reason unfortunately. Destanni will probably get another look this season from another team. Beal may have to play some overseas first, but you never know.

They really need to expand rosters to 15 at the very least. So many players are missing out. I think the only other player left that could be cut is Saxton. I think everyone else proved themselves based off the preseason.

Reactions: Gamecock Lincoln

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I truly felt like Beal could have returned one more year and should have. Her offense was just coming around and I didnt see her getting drafted as high as some projections did. I think it hurt her against Iowa because she was a no show and when she did guard Clark, she did nothing to slow her down.
I hate it for her but not surprised.

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
I truly felt like Beal could have returned one more year and should have. Her offense was just coming around and I didnt see her getting drafted as high as some projections did. I think it hurt her against Iowa because she was a no show and when she did guard Clark, she did nothing to slow her down.
She said on a couple of occasions that she hated school. Some players are ready to move on. Next year's draft is probably going to be as loaded or maybe better than this year. Not sure it would have mattered.

Reactions: Gamekem

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I doubt that one game really changed her draft stock. She was projected where she was due to Indiana Fever need for a wing player and she fit the bill. But they opted to go for the local star in Berger instead, which has paid off in attendance due to the Indiana fans showing a lot of support in their preseason games as well as meet and greets.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
She said on a couple of occasions that she hated school. Some players are ready to move on. Next year's draft is probably going to be as loaded or maybe better than this year. Not sure it would have mattered.
This is key, these next two drafts will be harder than this year to get drafted let alone make an opening day roster.

Reactions: Gamecock Lincoln

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Hardest league to make for a reason unfortunately. Destanni will probably get another look this season from another team. Beal may have to play some overseas first, but you never know.

They really need to expand rosters to 15 at the very least. So many players are missing out. I think the only other player left that could be cut is Saxton. I think everyone else proved themselves based off the preseason.
Financial considerations? Maybe the league struggles to pay additional role players after paying premier players.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Financial considerations? Maybe the league struggles to pay additional role players after paying premier players.
There is a tight salary cap. Many teams deal with that by only carrying 11 players. The WNBA really is a tough league to break into.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022

I read a tweet from someone who seems knowledgeable that Saxton will eventually be waived when an overseas player joins the team whom the Fever are waiting on. He also predicted Taylor Mikesell wouldn't make the team and she was the 1st pick of the 2nd round. Tough league.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I read a tweet from someone who seems knowledgeable that Saxton will eventually be waived when an overseas player joins the team whom the Fever are waiting on. He also predicted Taylor Mikesell wouldn't make the team and she was the 1st pick of the 2nd round. Tough league.
I can see that, the post player is a 6'10 player but she's more of a stretch big from what I saw online last year. She is a little injuried prone but if healthy could help Boston.

As for Saxton she really surprised me and the coach seems to like her. I honestly thought LaDhazia would have outlasted her. At this point she'll have to make the most of her minutes because a decent showing could lead to more opportunities as players miss games throughout the season and her dollar amount could go up overseas as well.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Does anyone on here think HVL and Angel Reese at LSU will have issues with each other next season?

I have a sneaky suspicion Reese won't like all the attention on HVL.

Reactions: cockyclt

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Does anyone on here think HVL and Angel Reese at LSU will have issues with each other next season?

I have a sneaky suspicion Reese won't like all the attention on HVL.
It’s going to be interesting balancing 3 players who are accustomed to having the ball in their hands so much.
Just look at shots attempted per game
Morrow 23
HVL 17
Reese16
That’s 56 shots, LSU Was in the top 5 in shots attempted per game at 65. Players are going to need to sacrifice invididual stats. Not sure they can do that.

Reactions: Anon1662231058

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022

There is a tight salary cap. Many teams deal with that by only carrying 11 players. The WNBA really is a tough league to break into.
In 2020 the WNBA Players Association signed a CBA agreement that guaranteed more money for veteraned high caliber players and rookies. I believe it was short sighted deal that has a very strict cap and limited rosters spots to only 12 per team. As note by winloseortie, in many cases team only carry less than 12 to get more expensive players but less total players.

Since 2020 the WNBA has seen a rise in viewership and investment. It still has a long way to go but trending in the right direction. They just picked up a new TV partner for Fridays and the commissioner has been finding ways to get funding. I believe in 2025 they get a new CBA and get to renegotiate their TV deal with more leverage. This next deal is where we'll see our best bet when it comes to more money, roster expansions and new teams expansion.

As for expansion, Oakland has multiple ownership groups competing to get a team in the Bay area. Whereas this past week the WNBA had a preseason game (first ever in Canada)at the Toronto Raptors arena and it was a sellout, nearly 20k people. So there's interest to expand at these locations and elsewhere including Charlotte, it's just a matter of ensuring there's proper funding and good potential owners.

I believe the current commissioner is trying to do her due diligence in finding the right owners. I think some of the league's current problems stem from current cheap owners. Some of the owners appear to only use their ownership merely as a tax shelter with little to no interest on if the league improves in any meaningful way, whereas there are some owners pulling out all the bells and whistles for their players/organization.

Reactions: winloseortie

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
In 2020 the WNBA Players Association signed a CBA agreement that guaranteed more money for veteraned high caliber players and rookies. I believe it was short sighted deal that has a very strict cap and limited rosters spots to only 12 per team. As note by winloseortie, in many cases team only carry less than 12 to get more expensive players but less total players.

Since 2020 the WNBA has seen a rise in viewership and investment. It still has a long way to go but trending in the right direction. They just picked up a new TV partner for Fridays and the commissioner has been finding ways to get funding. I believe in 2025 they get a new CBA and get to renegotiate their TV deal with more leverage. This next deal is where we'll see our best bet when it comes to more money, roster expansions and new teams expansion.

As for expansion, Oakland has multiple ownership groups competing to get a team in the Bay area. Whereas this past week the WNBA had a preseason game (first ever in Canada)at the Toronto Raptors arena and it was a sellout, nearly 20k people. So there's interest to expand at these locations and elsewhere including Charlotte, it's just a matter of ensuring there's proper funding and good potential owners.

I believe the current commissioner is trying to do her due diligence in finding the right owners. I think some of the league's current problems stem from current cheap owners. Some of the owners appear to only use their ownership merely as a tax shelter with little to no interest on if the league improves in any meaningful way, whereas there are some owners pulling out all the bells and whistles for their players/organization.
Oakland is a black hole.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
That's literally all you got from my statement. It's a big basketball town and there's a somewhat popular team there called the Golden State Warriors, I think they're scraping by, despite being in a black hole.
Yes, your verbose statement elicited only that concise response. I had to focus on what jumped out AT ME. Possibly someone else will step in to supply the affirmation you need.

The Chase Arena is in San Francisco, is it not? My remark was focused on Oakland itself, since you pointed out that the interested parties are from there.

In light of the way Oakland proper has trended with respect to sports franchises, major sports franchises which enjoyed some great competitive years, why should I comment otherwise?

I'm not seeing why they would cozy up to a WNBA team when they couldn't maintain sufficient interest in an NFL franchise - lost it twice - or a MLB team. Somewhere else in the Bay Area might be viable but I wouldn't rest my hopes on Oakland - for anything. It's the Flint of the Bay Area, well, maybe the Hoboken.

Last edited:

DenhamTiger90

Jan 19, 2022
It’s going to be interesting balancing 3 players who are accustomed to having the ball in their hands so much.
Just look at shots attempted per game
Morrow 23
HVL 17
Reese16
That’s 56 shots, LSU Was in the top 5 in shots attempted per game at 65. Players are going to need to sacrifice invididual stats. Not sure they can do that.
Morrow will likely sacrifice the most, she won’t be needed to jack up 3s like she did at DePaul. Think she will mostly be relied on for mid range and second chance points.

Angel is a very unselfish player (even if people assume differently because of her personality) but she gets so many good paint touches and second chance shots I’d bet her attempts stay the same.

HVL will likely play some point but mostly off ball, she likely reduces her total shots a bit too, won’t have to carry the team like she did last season but will get plenty of shots up still.

Reactions: Shone

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Yes, your verbose statement elicited only that concise response. I had to focus on what jumped out AT ME. Possibly someone else will step in to supply the affirmation you need.

The Chase Arena is in San Francisco, is it not? My remark was focused on Oakland itself, since you pointed out that the interested parties are from there.

In light of the way Oakland proper has trended with respect to sports franchises, major sports franchises which enjoyed some great competitive years, why should I comment otherwise?

I'm not seeing why they would cozy up to a WNBA team when they couldn't maintain sufficient interest in an NFL franchise - lost it twice - or a MLB team. Somewhere else in the Bay Area might be viable but I wouldn't rest my hopes on Oakland - for anything. It's the Flint of the Bay Area, well, maybe the Hoboken.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Seriously, you OK?
One of the dangers of asking questions on this thread is that the OCD types here🙋‍♂️will generally give you detailed answers that contain more info than you want.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022

Well I tried to give you a full picture response as to why the WNBA is in current place as it relates to roster shortages.

As it relates to Oakland it wasn't limited to just those city limits, they wanted to build a team in the Bay area. But honestly the teams leaving Oakland honestly helps the WNBA, the less saturated that area is with other sports entertainment the better. They only need to sustain 5-10k local fanbase rather than a 20-50k one in other sports.

Reactions: winloseortie

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Morrow will likely sacrifice the most, she won’t be needed to jack up 3s like she did at DePaul. Think she will mostly be relied on for mid range and second chance points.

Angel is a very unselfish player (even if people assume differently because of her personality) but she gets so many good paint touches and second chance shots I’d bet her attempts stay the same.

HVL will likely play some point but mostly off ball, she likely reduces her total shots a bit too, won’t have to carry the team like she did last season but will get plenty of shots up still.
LSU will end the regular season in the top 5 at the worst.

This is a team with all the talent that is going to have to make serious individual sacrifices. All 3 are ball dominant players. I think they will have an adjustment period on spacing and sharing the ball. They have no real point guard. Morrow an Reese play the same position.

Against weak competition this will get masked by fast break points and physical mismatches.
Against Good teams they will struggle. UT, A&M, OM, and Gamecocks have the size and athleticism to match them. SEC Is much improved from last season

I am intrigued to see their OOC for next year. Last year’s was shameful and it was a typical Mulkey OOC. Gamecocks will be tested and ready for SEC play

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Well I tried to give you a full picture response as to why the WNBA is in current place as it relates to roster shortages.

As it relates to Oakland it wasn't limited to just those city limits, they wanted to build a team in the Bay area. But honestly the teams leaving Oakland honestly helps the WNBA, the less saturated that area is with other sports entertainment the better. They only need to sustain 5-10k local fanbase rather than a 20-50k one in other sports.
None of that alters Oakland's status is a black hole, which was the entirety of my original statement. If the league is going to expand, best wishes.

When more long-term capitalization is needed, which seems to be generally the case with the WNBA, you go to where the revenue stream clearly is. I think I'd be pulling for someone in Toronto to step up.

DenhamTiger90

Jan 19, 2022
LSU will end the regular season in the top 5 at the worst.

This is a team with all the talent that is going to have to make serious individual sacrifices. All 3 are ball dominant players. I think they will have an adjustment period on spacing and sharing the ball. They have no real point guard. Morrow an Reese play the same position.

Against weak competition this will get masked by fast break points and physical mismatches.
Against Good teams they will struggle. UT, A&M, OM, and Gamecocks have the size and athleticism to match them. SEC Is much improved from last season

I am intrigued to see their OOC for next year. Last year’s was shameful and it was a typical Mulkey OOC. Gamecocks will be tested and ready for SEC play
Angel isn’t ball dominant. Morrow won’t be here. HVL will have the ball a lot. Poole will likely play a lot of PG next season as more of a pass first guard and good D player. It all depends though because Mikayla will push for big minutes early so our lineups/minutes should be super interesting.

Reactions: Shone

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Angel isn’t ball dominant. Morrow won’t be here. HVL will have the ball a lot. Poole will likely play a lot of PG next season as more of a pass first guard and good D player. It all depends though because Mikayla will push for big minutes early so our lineups/minutes should be super interesting.
Umm Angel Reese is ball dominant. She ranked 11th in the country in shot attempts. HVL ranked 6th in shot attempts. Morrow ranked 1st. Morrow had almost as many shot attempts as Cooke and Boston combined.
You got wonderful scorers, can they live together?

Reese and Morrow play the same position. Y’all are going to have a lot of individual adjustments on O. It will probably work itself out but it’s not guaranteed.

You have real question marks at PG, HVL is not a PG. Throughout her career she has more TOs than assists. Personally I’m not impressed with Velez and she is a true freshman. Poole is slow and doesn’t have great handle. She will have great difficulty against USC, OM, UT, UGA, and A&M

With all those questions y’all will still be preseason #1 nationally and in the conference. Deservedly so. What I am saying is it’s going to be a lot harder than you think. I wear garnet colored glasses and am well aware of issues the Gamecocks have, but I see a game plan to beat LSU and it looks very doable even with the game at the PMac