2024 B1G Tourney Session II Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up the day before the start of the B1G Tourney, so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the 2024 B1G Wrestling Tournament.

When:
March 9, 5:00 pm EST for Consolations, and 7:00 pm EST for Championship bracket

Where:
Xfinity Center, College Park, MD

Action:
Consolation matches take place from 5 - 7 pm (perhaps longer; I'm not certain). Semifinals start at 7 pm.

TV:
BTN coverage doesn't start until 7:00 pm EST. Want to stream it? Fubo's spring offer just kicked off - For a limited time, new subscribers can save $20 on their first month of Fubo's Pro, Elite, and Premier plans. They all include BTN. Click here to learn more and sign up today!

Video Streaming:
For subscribers, you can stream it via B1G+, starting at 5:00 pm EST.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 4:40 pm EST, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 5:00 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

PBP:
I'm out for the 1st part of Session II, but should be around for the semifinals. So for the initial part of Session II, I won't be able to provide PBP. I believe @GregPickel has indicated that he'll be covering the action. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some PBP, or some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match in your posts, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling. I'll post something when I'm in the saddle, so to speak, and ready to provide PBP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bohucon

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Session II starts with the Consolation matches/Wrestlebacks @ 5 pm EST. The only PSU wrestler in the Consolations is Carter Starocci @ 174, and he's going to injury default, so for all practical purposes, no PSU wrestlers are going in the 1st part of Session II

The Semifinals start @ 7 pm EST.

PSU matches in the semis (numbers listed are B1G seeds):

125: #6 Braeden Davis vs. #7 Michael DeAugustino (Mich.)

133: #5 Aaron Nagao vs. #1 Dylan Ragusin (Mich.)

141: #1 Beau Bartlett vs. #5 Sergio Lemley (Mich.)

149: #4 Tyler Kasak vs. #1 Ridge Lovett (Nebraska)

157: #1 Levi Haines vs. #4 Jared Franek (Iowa)

165: #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #3 Michael Caliendo (Iowa)

184: #3 Bernie Truax vs. #2 Lenny Pinto (Nebraska)

197: #1 Aaron Brooks vs. #4 Silas Allred (Nebraska)

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet vs. #4 Yaraslau Slavikouski (Rutgers)

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Team Scores at the start of Session II:

1. PSU - 83.5
2. Michigan - 70.5
3. Iowa - 57.5
4. Nebraska - 46.5
5. Minnesota - 34.5
6. Rutgers - 31.5
7. Ohio State - 28.5
8. Maryland - 20.5
9. Indiana - 16
11. MSU - 11.5
12. Illinois - 10.5
13. NW - 7.5
14. Purdue - 4

"Possible points" (as defined by Penn State Wrestling Club site) favor the Lions, too. We win a couple of head-to-head matches against Michigan and I0wa and our possible points total stays intact while theirs decline.

Reactions: ptomaselli

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
How lucky are we PSU wrestling fans to lose SVN (NCAA 3rd-AA) and have Kasak as a "back up". I like our chances at every weight we're competing. Half the weights are literally toss-ups. We could go 4-5/5-4 or 9-0. Cael "tapers" them very well. They'll be ready.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
"Possible points" (as defined by Penn State Wrestling Club site) favor the Lions, too. We win a couple of head-to-head matches against Michigan and I0wa and our possible points total stays intact while theirs decline.
It would take an epic collapse for this to be a close race let alone another team winning.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
It would take an epic collapse for this to be a close race let alone another team winning.
Yeah. The only reason this won't be locked up tonight is because the field is condensed as opposed to nationals. We'll have it locked up after semis in 2 weeks.

WEP6-12

Nov 1, 2021
Can someone explain to me what CS will do from here in terms NCAA seeding?

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Can someone explain to me what CS will do from here in terms NCAA seeding?
He will drop. The question is, how far? Seeding is based on a formula with 7 (I think) criteria. Not wrestling today affects at least 3 of them. It all comes down to how many guys jump above him. I think the general consensus is that he ends up somewhere around 4-6.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
Aiden Riggins is 0-2 at big tens, he's out (?) Will he get an at large?

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Had lots of positive and fun interactions during the first session with lots of fans. Good Vibe in the Xfinity center and it’s a great facility for this kind of event. Really enjoyed it. The French Fries were excellent, and plenty of ketchup.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Had lots of positive and fun interactions during the first session with lots of fans. Good Vibe in the Xfinity center and it’s a great facility for this kind of event. Really enjoyed it. The French Fries were excellent, and plenty of ketchup.
Heinz ketchup, I hope?

Reactions: Tgar

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
125: #6 Braeden Davis vs. #7 Michael DeAugustino (Mich.) -- I'll use MD

should be interesting

Per. 1
Davis with a semi-shot, blocked. Ear-to-ear as MD working underhooks. Nothing thru 1. Stalemate with 1:43 left. MD with the underhooks again, and Davis controls the elbows -- nothin. MD with a semi-shot; nothing. 1 min left. Davis with a semi-shot, nothing. End

Per 2
MD defers, and Davis takes bottom. Davis sits outs, and is out in 8 sec, 1-0. No real shots thru 1. Davis works from his knees for a short bit. MD still working underhooks. 30 sec left. End. RT @ 8 sec for MD

Per 3
MD takes bottom. MD to his feet quickly, Davis stays with him, tries to trip him down but can't and MD out in 15 sec, 1-1. RT not a factor. 1 min left. More ear-to-ear. 30 sec left. Davis tries a bit of a throw-by, nothing. End. RT @ 7 sec for Davis

SV-1
MD sort of shoot, and Davis sort of counters, nothing. So much arm and position fighting, but very few shots. 1 min left. Davis sort of shoot, blocked. Shot with @ 2 sec left by Davis, nothin.

TB
MD takes bottom. MD hits a roll, and he's out in 5 sec, 2-1. End

TB
Davis takes bottom. Caution on Davis. Davis hits a roll and is out in 5 sec, 2-2. PSU throws the challenge brick, and they think he was out in less than 5 sec. A long video review, it seems. Call stands. 14 sec left. No shots.

SV-2
Davis with an inside trip to his back, and he wins, 5-2!!!!

Michigan challenges. That's a dumb challenge -- a clear TD

Call is confirmed.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
133: #5 Aaron Nagao vs. #1 Dylan Ragusin (Mich.) -- I'll use DR

this should also be interesting

Per 1
Ear-to-ear along the edge. A bit of a flurry/scramble but DR ends up in good position, and he eventually gets the TD, 0-3. Stalemate with 1:51 left. Nagao up quickly but returned. He works back up, and is tripped back down. DR can be tough on top. Nagao with a roll and they go OOB with 1:09 left. Nagao quickly to his feet, is lifted and returned. RT goes over 1 min. Nagao grabs and ankle and is working for a rev, but they go OOB with 31 sec left. Nagao with a roll and gets behind for the rev, 2-3. DR is out with the esc, 2-4. End. RT @ 1:25 for DR

Per 2
Nagao takes bottom. He's out in 4 sec, 3-4. They scramble on the edge, and a stalemate with 1:39 left. Nagao working the head. They both shoot, and then scramble, then DR works him off the edge with 39 sec left, and Nagao is hit with a stall warning. End. RT @ 1:29 for DR

Per 3
DR takes bottom. Nagao tries to throw in a boot but DR grabs an ankle. DR to his feet, and he's out in 20 sec, 3-5. Stoppage for an official review -- I'm not sure why. No announcement. Nagao in on a single, DR, is out, Nagao in on another single, they are on the edge, DR grabs and ankle and a stoppage for PD with 1:21 left. 1 min left. DR is doing nothing offensive, and a stall warning is given with @ 33 sec. Nagao shoots, they are on the edge, and OOB with 20 sec left. Caution on Nagao for jumping the whistle. Nagao in on a leg, DR with a whizzer, and OOB with 5 sec left. Nagao shoots and gets behind but the buzzer sounds. 1-2 seconds more, and he would have had the TD. With 1:09 in RT, it's a 3-6 DEC for Dylan Ragusin.

Damn

• Sad
Reactions: hohmadw1978

Latest posts