2024 B1G Tourney Session II Thread

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
My 2 cents PSU has set the bar high so high that winning semifinal matches is not a reason to be interviewed. So Cael only lets them go on tv for winning the tournament. Some of the matches were to me boring especially when the wrestlers had long periods of "tie ups". Michigan wrestlers sure know how to slow down a match (to their credit some had late clutch wins). At 125 the only time Davis was challenged-and kudos to him vs a much older guy-he fought back and won in overtime. I just wish there were more aggressive stalling calls which could make matches more exciting. Man are Haines and Mesenbrink and Bartlett fun to watch wrestle. They have just gotten better and better as the season has gone on. And Aaron, Carter-when healthy-and Kerk are so far so MUCH better than anyone else in their weight class. This years Iowa team is not particularly good-is it poor recruiting, I do not know. They remind me of PSUs team BEFORE Cael came-I saw PSU wrestle the last year before Cael and we were not aggressive, seemed to get tired, and were a mediocre team with only 2 good wrestlers. I wish Carter health in 2 weeks for nationals. It sure was the right call NOT to have him wrestle at Big 10s,We will win anyway. We have gotten a lot of bonus points which will serve us well in 2 weekends.
Kudos to Cael and his staff for getting team ready for March wrestling like they do every year.
Your "2 cents" were worth every penny, psykim!
About that line I have high-lighted in your post.............I noticed how the Michigan guys were wrestling, and, it reminds me of the same method IOWA uses... when facing a tough (PSU) opponent, tie-ups and preventing shots are the game plan. These matches become drawn out, and, the first mistake is costly. Like I said, Iowa has been doing this for about the last 5-6 years since we have become THE TEAM to beat. Thankfully, our wrestlers are so good, we have overcome this strategy very well. Now, whether Lewan can do that well enough to beat Levi should be interesting.

Reactions: NavyBlue

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Hey I get that Lovett is good on top but to say he couldn’t get out and instead take him down without Lovett having to force any action and just counter is harder for a freshmen to do against an experienced wrestler like Lovett.
You’ll have to make that argument with the coaching staff, I guess?

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
I think Levi has gotten better-every month-and I believe he will win today and in 2 weeks. Early this year I was underwhelmed by his performances .But man has he stepped it up in the last 2 months. And if everyone wrestled like Mesenbrink-he is so fun to watch- tv ratings would be up.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Been saying for years Iowa guys Do Not improve. May be rare case’s but overall they simply don’t. Gilman can tell you all about the real Iowa program. Sad but very true.
The Hawks best guys are transfers. I know we have them too. But theirs are the centerpieces of their team. Heck, either Woods is injured or he too is regressing. The only good Iowa story was their 197. Imagine Iowa without their portal additions. Our portal additions are finishing touches.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
You’ll have to make that argument with the coaching staff, I guess?
Not really. They know what they are doing. I just disagree with that call. I think it would also help his development moving forward as the tournament comes around they will choose top first knowing that the bottom is his weakness.

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Not really. They know what they are doing. I just disagree with that call. I think it would also help his development moving forward as the tournament comes around they will choose top first knowing that the bottom is his weakness.
I don’t disagree. I just think they thought he was close to a TD twice and that was his best path to victory. I’m not saying bottom is his weakness, but there are certain wrestlers that you don’t want to go under, especially as a freshman.

Reactions: razpsu

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Brooks doesn’t get an interview but the lone Iowa guy does. Gotta love the big 10 lol.

Did they interview one PSU wrestler? I apologize if they did and I missed it, but if they didn’t, it’s an absolute joke. Most dominant program in over a decade and they don’t interview 1 semi finalists winner.

Unless they start giving points for interviews, I don’t care if any wrestler gives a post match interview.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
The Hawks best guys are transfers. I know we have them too. But theirs are the centerpieces of their team. Heck, either Woods is injured or he too is regressing. The only good Iowa story was their 197. Imagine Iowa without their portal additions. Our portal additions are finishing touches.
If you would educate a less-informed person as myself as to the transfers on this team, I’d appreciate it. I could do the digging, but my guess is you have them off the top of your head.
TIA

OL

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
If you would educate a less-informed person as myself as to the transfers on this team, I’d appreciate it. I could do the digging, but my guess is you have them off the top of your head.
TIA

OL
Aaron Nagao #138
Mitchell Messenbrink #165
Bernie Truax #184

Edit: To be technically correct, Greg Kerkvliet is also a transfer. He was at Ohio State as a freshman.

Last edited:

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Agree. Watch their 197 in a couple years. Sad but true.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I don’t disagree. I just think they thought he was close to a TD twice and that was his best path to victory. I’m not saying bottom is his weakness, but there are certain wrestlers that you don’t want to go under, especially as a freshman.
If Kasak is going to beat Lovett, he is going to have to take him down. More chances to see what works and what might work down the road.

As Byers noted, Cael isn't really impressed with wrestling the best guys close. You have to figure out how to beat them. Last night was nationals prep.

Reactions: LB99 and Parks22

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
TIA

OL
133 Nagao, 165 Mesenbrink, 184 Truax. I was wrong on Mesenbrink...he's a centerpiece of the future...

EDIT: Yes also on Kerkvliet. But he and Mesenbrink wrestled here as Freshman. So, they are essentially PSU developed.

Latest posts