2024 B1G Tourney Session II Thread

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
Brooks doesn’t get an interview but the lone Iowa guy does. Gotta love the big 10 lol.

Did they interview one PSU wrestler? I apologize if they did and I missed it, but if they didn’t, it’s an absolute joke. Most dominant program in over a decade and they don’t interview 1 semi finalists winner.

Reactions: CrazyUncleTony

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
A very full and enjoyable day of PSU wrestling.

Already looking forward to tomorrow.

Many highlights today…the best IMO was watching Carter easily stride to his forfeit.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
Did they interview one PSU wrestler? I apologize if they did and I missed it, but if they didn’t, it’s an absolute joke. Most dominant program in over a decade and they don’t interview 1 semi finalists winner.
Again, it’s pretty clear the coaches don’t want their wrestlers to be interviewed in the middle of a tournament.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU's matches on Sunday (all numbers are B1G Tourney seeds):

125: #6 Braeden Davis vs. #4 Patrick McKee (Minny) in the final

133: #5 Aaron Nagao vs. #7 Braxton Brown (Mary.) in the Consolation Semis

141: #1 Beau Bartlett vs. #2 Jesse Mendez (tOSU) in the final

149: #4 Tyler Kasak vs. #3 Caleb Rathjen (Iowa) in the Consolation Semis

157: #1 Levi Haines vs. #7 Will Lewan (Mich.) in the final

165: #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #1 Dean Hamiti (Wisc.)

184: #3 Bernie Truax vs. #1 Isaiah Salazar (Minny)

197: #1 Aaron Brooks vs. #3 Zach Glazier (Iowa)

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet vs. #8 Nick Feldman (tOSU)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Team scores after Session II:

PSU - 136.0
Michigan - 105.5
Nebraska - 89.0
Iowa - 88.5
Ohio State - 78.5
Rutgers - 71.5
Minnesota - 66.0
Wisconsin - 43.0
Purdue - 36.0
Maryland - 31.0
Indiana - 29.0
Illinois - 28.0
MSU - 19.5
Northwestern - 14.5

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Great matches by psu. The only thing I questioned when it happened was kasak not taking down. He could have escaped at some point and it would have been 1-1. The announcer said right decision and I said to my daughter that was a mistake. If 1-1 Then Lovett would have had to shoot as well. Instead kasak had to go after him and that didn’t work out so well.
Shout out to truax. He tried that same shot of single then double in the match against Nebraska and the guy is too strong in the lower body to try that. So later he went for the single and then the feet and scored the takedown. Great win for him.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Great matches by psu. The only thing I questioned when it happened was kasak not taking down. He could have escaped at some point and it would have been 1-1. The announcer said right decision and I said to my daughter that was a mistake. If 1-1 Then Lovett would have had to shoot as well. Instead kasak had to go after him and that didn’t work out so well.
Shout out to truax. He tried that same shot of single then double in the match against Nebraska and the guy is too strong in the lower body to try that. So later he went for the single and then the feet and scored the takedown. Great win for him.
Because Lovett is very good on top. Kasak s not great getting off bottom against the better guys. Remember true freshman.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
No. Michigan, Nebraska, and Iowa are still technically alive to win the B1G Tourney, though with PSU having 7 in the final, it's effectively over.
Let’s see how many champions and 3rd place we can get. This determines seed for National pretty much.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Lovett is tough on top and Kasak is a freshman. Toughest thing for freshmen to develop is bottom skills. If Lovett rides him out for entire 3rd period then he wins 1-0 (2-0 with RT). Remember Kasak was in on a leg at the end of the first, but couldn’t finish. He also hit a slide by at one point and got an angle, but couldn’t finish. He was close both times. He was going to need a TD either way, coaches thought neutral gave him the best chance to win.

CrazyUncleTony

May 31, 2022
Look at the big picture. How many PSU semifinal winners did you see interviewed tonight? I believe the answer is zero. I believe the coaches don't want them interviewed during the tournament.
Good point. As I tried explaining to my mom lol, it’s expected.

CrazyUncleTony

May 31, 2022
Honestly I didn’t start watching until around 7:30 - my son wanted to watch Duke/UNC - but I did not see one guy from that point.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
PSU's matches on Sunday (all numbers are B1G Tourney seeds):

125: #6 Braeden Davis vs. #4 Patrick McKee (Minny) in the final

133: #5 Aaron Nagao vs. #7 Braxton Brown (Mary.) in the Consolation Semis

141: #1 Beau Bartlett vs. #2 Jesse Mendez (tOSU) in the final

149: #4 Tyler Kasak vs. #3 Caleb Rathjen (Iowa) in the Consolation Semis

157: #1 Levi Haines vs. #7 Will Lewan (Mich.) in the final

165: #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #1 Dean Hamiti (Wisc.)

184: #3 Bernie Truax vs. #1 Isaiah Salazar (Minny)

197: #1 Aaron Brooks vs. #3 Zach Glazier (Iowa)

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet vs. #8 Nick Feldman (tOSU)
Every PSU wrestler, with the exception of Starocci, has wrestled to or above their seed thus far.

Reactions: SRATH and ScottHHHH

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
An Iowa finalist is such a rare thing these days... ya gotta get a story on it
Been saying for years Iowa guys Do Not improve. May be rare case’s but overall they simply don’t. Gilman can tell you all about the real Iowa program. Sad but very true.

Reactions: PSU87

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
The tournament is like a PSU dual meet vs. B1G all stars…. And PSU wins! Even Nagao and Kasak seemed to be fresher than their opponents at the end of their loses. Heck Nagao almost had him. Kasak has wrestled Lovett pretty good in their two bouts and I believe Lovett had two late TDs to seal the wins. Crazy to think that BDavis will have wrestled 3 guys with combined 17 yrs of experience to his < 1yr… Barnett, Jesus, and McKee.

• Haha
Reactions: ptomaselli

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
My 2 cents PSU has set the bar high so high that winning semifinal matches is not a reason to be interviewed. So Cael only lets them go on tv for winning the tournament. Some of the matches were to me boring especially when the wrestlers had long periods of "tie ups". Michigan wrestlers sure know how to slow down a match (to their credit some had late clutch wins). At 125 the only time Davis was challenged-and kudos to him vs a much older guy-he fought back and won in overtime. I just wish there were more aggressive stalling calls which could make matches more exciting. Man are Haines and Mesenbrink and Bartlett fun to watch wrestle. They have just gotten better and better as the season has gone on. And Aaron, Carter-when healthy-and Kerk are so far so MUCH better than anyone else in their weight class. This years Iowa team is not particularly good-is it poor recruiting, I do not know. They remind me of PSUs team BEFORE Cael came-I saw PSU wrestle the last year before Cael and we were not aggressive, seemed to get tired, and were a mediocre team with only 2 good wrestlers. I wish Carter health in 2 weeks for nationals. It sure was the right call NOT to have him wrestle at Big 10s,We will win anyway. We have gotten a lot of bonus points which will serve us well in 2 weekends.
Kudos to Cael and his staff for getting team ready for March wrestling like they do every year.

Reactions: NavyBlue

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
BWI family.......thanks for the chatter. I had to drive to P-burg and back last night so could only listen to Ironhead.....which is a joy. Just reading the comments now.

I don't recommend driving at night in the rain during big bouts. If I had a dollar for every time I "shushed" my wife, I could pay for the dinner I owe her.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
My 2 cents PSU has set the bar high so high that winning semifinal matches is not a reason to be interviewed. So Cael only lets them go on tv for winning the tournament. Some of the matches were to me boring especially when the wrestlers had long periods of "tie ups". Michigan wrestlers sure know how to slow down a match (to their credit some had late clutch wins). At 125 the only time Davis was challenged-and kudos to him vs a much older guy-he fought back and won in overtime. I just wish there were more aggressive stalling calls which could make matches more exciting. Man are Haines and Mesenbrink and Bartlett fun to watch wrestle. They have just gotten better and better as the season has gone on. And Aaron, Carter-when healthy-and Kerk are so far so MUCH better than anyone else in their weight class. This years Iowa team is not particularly good-is it poor recruiting, I do not know. They remind me of PSUs team BEFORE Cael came-I saw PSU wrestle the last year before Cael and we were not aggressive, seemed to get tired, and were a mediocre team with only 2 good wrestlers. I wish Carter health in 2 weeks for nationals. It sure was the right call NOT to have him wrestle at Big 10s,We will win anyway. We have gotten a lot of bonus points which will serve us well in 2 weekends.
Kudos to Cael and his staff for getting team ready for March wrestling like they do every year.
I don't have an issue with the lack of interviews......I just don't care. Also, it would be tough for the interviewer not to slide in......what about Carter.

Interviews are part of the show. We Are the show

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
197: #1 Aaron Brooks vs. #4 Silas Allred (Nebraska) -- I'll use SA

Perhaps another match where AB wears my fingers out with all his TDs. ;)

Per 1
AB with a single off a throw-by for a quick TD, 3-0. Then he cuts him, 3-1. Brooks works an underhook, nearly has it but SA works the whizzer along the edge, but AB frees it and gets the TD, 6-1. AB working an arm bar. He keeps changing what he's doing with the other hand. AB working for a tilt, and a stall warning on SA. End. RT @ 1:51 for AB

Per 2
SA takes bottom. SA sits out, AB on his toes pressing into the shoulders. AB working a half, switches to a cradle and he turns him. He's close to a pin, but can't quite get it, and then SA works to his belly. 4 NF makes it 10-1. Stalemate with 0:19 left. End. A rideout. RT @ 3:51 for AB

Per 3
AB takes neutral. AB with a double but they are OOB with 1:24 left. RT is locked. AB in on a single, and works behind for the TD, 13-1. Brooks cuts him, 13-2. SA soft of shoots, nothing. 45 sec left. SA iron a low single on a re-shoot, nothing. 25 sec left. End. With 4:01 of RT, it's a 14-2 MAJ for Aaron Brooks!!!
Looked like Brooks was a little ticked off at the end of the bout. I think he was PO’s that Allred was cranking on his knee at the end while down 14-2.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Lovett is tough on top and Kasak is a freshman. Toughest thing for freshmen to develop is bottom skills. If Lovett rides him out for entire 3rd period then he wins 1-0 (2-0 with RT). Remember Kasak was in on a leg at the end of the first, but couldn’t finish. He also hit a slide by at one point and got an angle, but couldn’t finish. He was close both times. He was going to need a TD either way, coaches thought neutral gave him the best chance to win.
Hey I get that Lovett is good on top but to say he couldn’t get out and instead take him down without Lovett having to force any action and just counter is harder for a freshmen to do against an experienced wrestler like Lovett.