2024 NCAA Championship Session IV Thread

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
You’re okay. My SIL is in the 82nd.
Tell him this story:

Basic Airborne course is three weeks long.

The first week the black hats separate the men from the boys.
The second week they separate the men from the idiots.
The third week, the idiots jump.

Loved parachuting . . . Respect to your SIL!

• Haha
Reactions: BlueAndWhite86

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
1. It is somewhat defensive, but you can shoot out of it. Braeden Davis did once or twice today. A lot of guys that work from their knees like to counter on a shot. So if your opponent is active, you can generally avoid a stall call from your knees (as long as you counter). If your opponent on his feet doesn't sheet, and you stay on your knees, you likely will be hit with a stall call.

2. It can be confusing. The calls used to be left solely up to the judgement of the ref. To promote more action, the rules have been tweaked some that there are some mandatory stall calls (backing off the mat, holding onto the legs with no hold above the waist for 5 seconds, etc.) So while a wrestler can be more active and more aggressive than their opponent, they can do one of the aforementioned acts and get hit with a stall call. It doesn't seem balanced, but the ref is simply enforcing the rules. This year, they also put an added emphasis on the guy on top working for a tilt. Kerk has been hit with stalling several times this year due to that (and was tonight in his semi), as he we pull his hands off and do little, to encourage the bottom guy to make a move (when they are doing nothing), so that he can use that move to try to turn them. Alas, that invites a stall call on him, and multiple refs have done that.

I hope that helps

Very much so - thank you, Sir!

Reactions: bohucon

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Penn State gets four extra points for every champ. So if they get six, that equals 24, and that would break the record. If they get five, and a third place finisher, that is 24 and would do it too. Other combinations exist as well.

Not gonna be able to sleep tonight! I don't care about the record per se - I do care about displacing I0wa as the record holder.

Hannibal

Aug 31, 2022
Can you breakdown the potential points by match, Hannibal?
4 pts minimum for finals wins, 3.5 pts min for cons semis victory, then 1 pt for either 3rd or 5th place. Worst case, Truax and Kasak lose in semis and 5th place match. Best case, they place 3rd and only 14 points needed to break the record (assuming no bonus points). If Penn State wins out, they score a minimum of 181 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

Hannibal

Aug 31, 2022
Penn State gets four extra points for every champ. So if they get six, that equals 24, and that would break the record. If they get five, and a third place finisher, that is 24 and would do it too. Other combinations exist as well.
Is there no extra point for a win in medal match? I was wondering what I was missing since max points did not agree with NLWC website.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU matches on Saturday:

All Championship matches are in Session VI, Saturday evening. All Consolation matches are in Session V, Saturday afternoon.

141 Championship Final: #2 seed Beau Bartlett vs. #1 seed Jesse Mendez (Ohio State)

149 Consolation Semifinal: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #1 seed Ridge Lovett (Nebraska)

157 Championship Final: #1 seed Levi Haines vs. #2 seed Jacori Teemer (Arizona State)

165 Championship Final: #2 seed Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #4 seed David Carr (Iowa State)

174 Championship Final: #9 seed Carter Starocci vs. #6 seed Rocco Welsh (Ohio State)

184 Consolation Semifinal: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #4 seed Trey Munoz (Oregon State)

197 Championship Final: #1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #2 seed Trent Hidlay (North Carolina State)

285 Championship Final: #1 seed Greg Kerkvliet vs. 10 seed Lucas Davison (Michigan)

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Starocci is not wrestling like he normally would-he typically he shows great quickness-but still wins convincingly. That is a true champion. All I can say about Haines is he is amazing in the clutch, at crunch time. Mesenbrink just tires people out and is so fun to watch. He dominates the later part of matches. Brooks is just in a different class than his competition so far. Bartlett had a great last period to win and go to finals. Kerk is just so big, strong and athletic.
Of the nonPsu wrestlers in the finals, I was most impressed with Cornell's 133 pounder Arujo. He has a nonstop motor.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
How do you wave off a pin?
Helena Bonham Carter Hello GIF by Disney

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Hey, Tom, two questions for the off-season:

1) How does one wrestle offensively while on one's knees? Seen a few wrestlers this tournament use that as their go-to position. Seems much more defensive and thus (I would hope) open to stall calls.

2) Speaking of stalling, there seem to be some odd calls, especially on our guys when it seems they are being aggressive. What are the offensive conditions that might merit a stall call?

Many thanks in advance!
Tv Show No GIF by HULU

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Starocci is not wrestling like he normally would-he typically he shows great quickness-but still wins convincingly. That is a true champion. All I can say about Haines is he is amazing in the clutch, at crunch time. Mesenbrink just tires people out and is so fun to watch. He dominates the later part of matches. Brooks is just in a different class than his competition so far. Bartlett had a great last period to win and go to finals. Kerk is just so big, strong and athletic.
Of the nonPsu wrestlers in the finals, I was most impressed with Cornell's 133 pounder Arujo. He has a nonstop motor.
I get so tired watching Mesenbrink wrestle that I freeze the replay video to take food and bathroom breaks in the middle of his matches.