2024 NCAA Championship Session IV Thread

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Rooting for the Zoomie against Davison, even though Air Force navigators dropped me in the trees on a couple of parachute jumps.

Reactions: LB99

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Last match of Session IV for PSU

285 Championship Semifinal:
#1 seed Greg Kerkvliet vs. #4 seed Cohlton Schultz (ASU) -- I'll use CS

Per 1
Kerk with an ankle pick for a quick TD, 3-0. CS to his feet and hits a shoulder roll but Kerk stays with him. Stoppage for blood for CS @ 2:30 left. CS works up a bit, back down, then Kerk flattens him. CS works up to his base, then flattened again. Stoppage for blood for CS with 1:23 left. A long stoppage, but we're back. Kerk flattens him again. Kerk having a tough time turning him. End. RT @ 2:44 for Kerk

Per 2
Kerk takes bottom. Kerk works up and is out in 6 sec, 4-0. Kerk with a lo single, elevates it and drags CS to the middle, then trips him down, CS rolls and grabs an ankle, but Kerk gets the TD, 7-0. Stall warning with 12 sec left on Kerk. End. RT is locked, so the amount is not important

Per 3
CS takes neutral. 1 min left after not much action. A lot of ear-to-ear. CS pushes in and Kerk backs off and is hit with a stall call, 7-1. End. With RT, it's an 8-1 DEC for Kerk.

He'll face Lucas Davison (Michigan) in the final tomorrow night

The really late stall call against Kerk cost him the major

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Has anyone peeked at the I0wa blog lately? They were salty after the B1G tourney. Can't imagine they are happy getting lapped in points 1 1/3 times - with more separation possible tomorrow.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Hey, Tom, two questions for the off-season:

1) How does one wrestle offensively while on one's knees? Seen a few wrestlers this tournament use that as their go-to position. Seems much more defensive and thus (I would hope) open to stall calls.

2) Speaking of stalling, there seem to be some odd calls, especially on our guys when it seems they are being aggressive. What are the offensive conditions that might merit a stall call?

Many thanks in advance!

1. It is somewhat defensive, but you can shoot out of it. Braeden Davis did once or twice today. A lot of guys that work from their knees like to counter on a shot. So if your opponent is active, you can generally avoid a stall call from your knees (as long as you counter). If your opponent on his feet doesn't shoot, and you stay on your knees, you likely will be hit with a stall call.

2. It can be confusing. The calls used to be left solely up to the judgement of the ref. To promote more action, the rules have been tweaked some so that there are some mandatory stall calls (backing off the mat, holding onto the legs with no hold above the waist for 5 seconds, etc.) So while a wrestler can be more active and more aggressive than their opponent, they can do one of the aforementioned acts and get hit with a stall call. It doesn't seem balanced or fair, but the ref is simply enforcing the rules. This year, they also put an added emphasis on the guy on top working for a tilt. Kerk has been hit with stalling several times this year due to that (and was tonight in his semi), as he will pull his hands off and do little, to encourage the bottom guy to make a move (when they are doing nothing), so that he can use that move to try to turn them. Alas, that invites a stall call on him, and multiple refs have done that.

I hope that helps

Last edited:

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
184 pound consy: Bernie Truax vs. Dylan Fishback, NC State -- Truax has a taped right knee following the QF incident where he needed injury time.

First period
Scoreless first. Not much action of note.

Second period
Fishback down to start the second. Truax rides out the period.

Third period
Traux escapes to a 1-0 lead. He then shoots in on a single and gets it for a 4-0 lead. He rides Fishback out and wins 5-0 with 3:30 in RT to become a four-time All-American.

Truax d. Fishback, 5-0
Dylan is from Aurora, which is right next to me.