2024 NCAA Championship Session VI Thread

DavidM

Oct 13, 2021
I'm wondering if Mesenbrink made any comment about the end of his last match? It looked like he might have lost track of the score (with the invisible but important riding time) and was thinking about an overtime period?

What a hell of a program, team, and coaches!

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Raising the ******* trainers hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALL CLASS!!!

I have to admit that Carter rubbed me a "little" the wrong way with his cocky attitude. But, now, he has vaulted to the forefront as one of my favorite PSU wrestlers. In my opinion he was the MVP of the tournament.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Team Points Scored By PSU Wrestler:

125: Braeden Davis scored 2.0
133: Aaron Nagao scored 3.0
141: Beau Bartlett scored 20.0
149: Tyler Kasak scored 19.0
157: Levi Haines scored 26.0
165: Mitchell Mesenbrink scored 19.5
174: Carter Starocci scored 20.0
184: Bernie Truax scored 12.5
197: Aaron Brooks scored 27.0
285: Greg Kerkvliet scored 23.5

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I'm wondering if Mesenbrink made any comment about the end of his last match? It looked like he might have lost track of the score (with the invisible but important riding time) and was thinking about an overtime period?

What a hell of a program, team, and coaches!
The full transcript will be on the site early tomorrow morning (which is a good unsolicited reminder to PLEASE read the stories posted on the site. I've spent so much time and surely Tom has as well the last few days answering questions whose answers are found in numerous stories on the home page) but here is what Cael Sanderson said during his post-tournament news conference on that topic:

"I think he thought he was going into overtime," Sanderson said. "So he kind of just shut it down a little bit. But that obviously falls on me as the coach and not communicating that to him.

"But great opponent. He wrestled an awesome match, and he's got a really bright future ahead of him. So we're excited for him."

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Random Individual Stats for NCAAs:

- Pins: Keegan O'Toole had 3 (Peyten Kellar, Aaron Brooks, Meyer Shapiro, Ty Watters, & Beau Bartlett had 2)
- TS: Chris Foca had 2 in the least amount of time (Aaron Brooks, Trent Hidlay, Parker Keckeisen, and Levi Haines also had 2)
- Pins & TFs: Aaron Brooks had 4 in the least amount of time (Keegan O'Toole also had 4; Meyer Shapiro, Ty Watters, and Levi Haines had 3)
- Fastest Pin: Tyler Kasak (0:37). Eric Barnett (0:45), Nate Dugan (0:53), & Thomas Stewart (0:55) were the nearest in this competition
- Fastest Tech Fall: Chris Foca (1:43). Levi Haines was tied for 8th fastest at 5:00 & Bernie Truax was 13th fastest at 5:10
- Most Team Points: Aaron Brooks - 27.0 (Levin Haines, 26.0; Parker Keckeisen, 26.0)
- Most Single Match Points: Mike Caliendo, Trent Hidlay & Michael Beard tied for 1st with 26. Kerk & Levi Haines tied for 18th with 19
- Largest Seed/Place Difference: Vince Vambour (26/8). Starocci tied for 8th (9/1)

baltimorened

Oct 19, 2021
I understand totally what you are trying to say. But, allow me to be more candid. Those 9 losses stick in my craw too. It may be time for Cael and his side show to move on.

I understand totally what you are trying to say. But, allow me to be more candid. Those 9 losses stick in my craw too. It may be time for Cael and his side show to move on.
I was thinking that maybe it's time to consider breaking up penn state wrestling...like Google/meta/ and other large dominant corporations who are so successful.
Maybe we limit penn state to only 8 weight class wrestlers and force forfeits in the other two weight classes. Or at the end of each season Penn state be required to transfer to Iowa or ohio state any single wrestler of their competitor's choice....like a draft....
We need a little more balance or equity in the sport. Penn State is simply too successful and that should not be allowed.

Just a thought for the times.

• Haha
Reactions: lionlover

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
"It was hard," Starocci told ESPN while singing the praises of head trainer Dan Monthley.

"Twelve days ago I was on crutches. I just had to wrestle. That man, [trainer] Dan Monthley, he's a national champ. It's a blessing to be at Penn State. These coaches, they're super dedicated. Dan Monthley, I wouldn't be walking if it wasn't for him. He looked me in the eye and said it was going to be a long road. I just believed in him."

Starocci would not confirm if he has an ACL tear. He said he has his eyes set on the Olympic Trials in April at the BJC.

He was ready to go at B1Gs which was 14 days ago. Did he get a procedure on that Monday?

Reactions: psunelson22

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
He was ready to go at B1Gs which was 14 days ago. Did he get a procedure on that Monday?
I am pretty sure he was blended together all of the time between the Edinboro match and now in the moment. Because in his first interview after Big Tens he said he wasn't walking 12 days ago and then repeated that line here. So I think that's what he meant.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
ALL CLASS!!!

I have to admit that Carter rubbed me a "little" the wrong way with his cocky attitude. But, now, he has vaulted to the forefront as one of my favorite PSU wrestlers. In my opinion he was the MVP of the tournament.
As I have posted in the past, I have met Carter several times and have gotten to know him. I look at it as a strong sense of self. Has he been emotionally intelligent with some of his comments? No. But when we were that age, we all probably said some things that we would like to take back.

Our second chat talked about overcoming adversity. The knee injury that he has was no easy task for him to wrestle. But he thought through it, kept his wits about him and changed his wrestling strategy to win the National Championship.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
As I have posted in the past, I have met Carter several times and have gotten to know him. I look at it as a strong sense of self. Has he been emotionally intelligent with some of his comments? No. But when we were that age, we all probably said some things that we would like to take back.

Our second chat talked about overcoming adversity. The knee injury that he has was no easy task for him to wrestle. But he thought through it, kept his wits about him and changed his wrestling strategy to win the National Championship.
He shutout seeds #1, #4, and #6 on one leg. Like he said it’s chess not checkers. He’s not only talented but very smart!

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Is there any realistic chance that Brooks doesn’t win the Hodge? He just made winning look easy, can’t imagine after the year he had who else would get it, but I don’t watch wrestling other than our team.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Is there any realistic chance that Brooks doesn’t win the Hodge? He just made winning look easy, can’t imagine after the year he had who else would get it, but I don’t watch wrestling other than our team.
The only other person I would have thought would be in consideration was O’Toole. When he lost, it was Brooks’ award in my mind.

Reactions: gpsu88

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
I was thinking that maybe it's time to consider breaking up penn state wrestling...like Google/meta/ and other large dominant corporations who are so successful.
Maybe we limit penn state to only 8 weight class wrestlers and force forfeits in the other two weight classes. Or at the end of each season Penn state be required to transfer to Iowa or ohio state any single wrestler of their competitor's choice....like a draft....
We need a little more balance or equity in the sport. Penn State is simply too successful and that should not be allowed.

Bad "thought".....

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I agree with @LB99. Coming into the tournament, Brooks had a 94 percent bonus rate during the season. The next closest wrestler t that was Trent Hidlay, who he beat in the finals, at 86 percent. Brooks also was named the NCAA's most dominant wrestler with a score in that category of 4.88 (I apologize but I have no idea how that's calculated). Second place was Hidlay at 4.78. Those two plus O'Toole were the only three capable of winning the Hodge coming into the tournament in my opinion, and Brooks left no doubt about who the winner should be in Kansas City. The story was written last night and will sit in our admin's drafts until the Hodge is announced and I can turn it on.

As for the timing of that announcement, the 2023 Hodge was announced on March 27 and the tournament was March 16-18. In 2022, the tournament ran March 17-19 with the winner being announced March 28. So, I'd expect this year's winner to be announced on Mon, April 1 if that trend continues.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

So we win by 50 instead of 100?

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Nice to see David Carr sitting with AB's family. I've talked to AB about Carr, and they are good friends. I remember AB's dad also posted about that on the old board.
That took the sting out of Mitchell’s loss. Care was jumping up and down when brown did well.

DavidM

Oct 13, 2021
I suspect that I'm not the only PSU wrestling fan who's actually relieved that the tournament is over. As a former mediocre wrestler in high school--almost sixty years ago--I cannot prevent myself from twisting and turning in my chair as the matches unfold. It's both genuinely draining and extraordinarily thrilling to go through each weight class. Then the tournament is over and normalcy returns to this old as dirt guy's life--until next season. Is this the male version of postpartum blues? :eek::love:🤡

fp

May 6, 2022
Listening to Cael in the 'post-game' I think it is important to keep in mind Cael's specific mention of Kraft as being the best AD in the country. Cael's relationship with the athletic department in general has been up and down throughout the years. It could not be in a better place than it is now. Cael will win regardless of who is in charge IMO but when he and the AD are both pushing in the same direction, I don't think it's an accident that PSU is taking an even bigger step forward and not regressing a bit.

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021

Make Penn State send an "A" and "B" team. Split the talent evenly and let everyone else fight it out for third.