2024 Phillies Thread

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I may watch some of these games next week. The best of each team’s minor league systems go at it.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
No surprise, but I do hope Griff can find his rhythm again this year. He‘a only a year removed from 130Ks in 80ish innings in 2022.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Is the blue P on the X messages an omen of the color of the city uniforms that will be worn in April? We saw the hideous drop earlier so I guess this is what they will wear.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
As we pass the midway point of Spring Training and start to see Opening Day-

1 - The pitching has been much brighter than the hitting. The regulars haven’t hit and they have swung through a ton of pitches. One point that I haven’t seen discussed too much is that Nick seems to be headed to 7 spot. They seem set on Harper, JT, Stott, and Bohm in the middle. I think Topper has this right. If Nick hit 4, you have a lot of lot of non contact at 1 and 4 since Schwarber and Nick go hot and cold. I think Nick at 7 makes total sense.

2- I think the pitchers very much want Rojas in Center but he hasn’t looked any different than the kid who was overmatched in the post season. This is the most intriguing decision to settle the next 2 weeks. Marsh and Witt versus Rojas and Marsh is a big deal defensively and really impacts the game.

3- The pen arms have been good. Soto threw it really good yesterday and the rest of the guys have also had good springs. For the starters, top 3 have all looked good. Sanchez and Walker have been more limited so the back end of the staff needs to catch up a bit. 1-3 though looks to be as good as anyone. They all look relaxed and throwing all their pitches with purpose. Ranger was great a couple of days back. He reminded me of Cliff Lee given how he commands his pitches so that the hitters are all off balance. Ranger is starting the season looking the best he has looked in his career. Nola and Wheeler have looked like aces. If Wheeler has confidence in throwing the split, the hitters are in big trouble. Barring injury and bringing the split along, Zach wins the CY this year.

4- One guy who has interested me is Mercado. He got sent out the last day or so, but he has plus stuff. He has swing and miss stuff which they all look for. I’m intrigued. Abel has had some good spots, he will pitch at some point this year for the big club.

It’s been an uneventful camp but that isn’t a bad thing. Everything I hear is that this team is mad with an chip and believes it’s their time to get it done.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Is the blue P on the X messages an omen of the color of the city uniforms that will be worn in April? We saw the hideous drop earlier so I guess this is what they will wear.

I think it’s more so a spring training thing. Maybe, but I know they changed that when spring training was getting started.

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
As we pass the midway point of Spring Training and start to see Opening Day-

1 - The pitching has been much brighter than the hitting. The regulars haven’t hit and they have swung through a ton of pitches. One point that I haven’t seen discussed too much is that Nick seems to be headed to 7 spot. They seem set on Harper, JT, Stott, and Bohm in the middle. I think Topper has this right. If Nick hit 4, you have a lot of lot of non contact at 1 and 4 since Schwarber and Nick go hot and cold. I think Nick at 7 makes total sense.

2- I think the pitchers very much want Rojas in Center but he hasn’t looked any different than the kid who was overmatched in the post season. This is the most intriguing decision to settle the next 2 weeks. Marsh and Witt versus Rojas and Marsh is a big deal defensively and really impacts the game.

3- The pen arms have been good. Soto threw it really good yesterday and the rest of the guys have also had good springs. For the starters, top 3 have all looked good. Sanchez and Walker have been more limited so the back end of the staff needs to catch up a bit. 1-3 though looks to be as good as anyone. They all look relaxed and throwing all their pitches with purpose. Ranger was great a couple of days back. He reminded me of Cliff Lee given how he commands his pitches so that the hitters are all off balance. Ranger is starting the season looking the best he has looked in his career. Nola and Wheeler have looked like aces. If Wheeler has confidence in throwing the split, the hitters are in big trouble. Barring injury and bringing the split along, Zach wins the CY this year.

4- One guy who has interested me is Mercado. He got sent out the last day or so, but he has plus stuff. He has swing and miss stuff which they all look for. I’m intrigued. Abel has had some good spots, he will pitch at some point this year for the big club.

It’s been an uneventful camp but that isn’t a bad thing. Everything I hear is that this team is mad with an chip and believes it’s their time to get it done.
Schwarber needs to be hitting 8th or 9th not leadoff.

Latest posts