Baseball Coach Hot Board

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, I’m saying his resume is a pretty good ways down the list of realistic options.

I look at somebody like Pollard, who has gotten Duke to a Super Regional three times since 2018 and this year will make six NCAAT trips for them since 2016 after not appearing in the NCAAT a single time from 1961-2015. Burroughs just don’t really compare to someone like that.
LOL, yeah, heard all that crap before. I’ll believe we will get those type coaches when we actually do. Fine to try, but I’m not holding my breath. We plucked Cohen, but he was an alumnus.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
No emails in the overnight from salmon.

No heartfelt apologies for losing.

No movement.

Someone needs to help salmon and lem pack. Today.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We have built the best baseball stadium in the south, spent thousands of dollars on bleachers, left field lofts, etc. etc. How can you NOT get the best baseball coach available to coach here? This shoe doesn’t fit Lemonis’s foot. AD, are you paying attention?
We got Lemonis after better coaches turned us down

Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's weird that we might considered a La Tech coach for a major SEC baseball program but that's where we are. There are good coaches at lower-level schools but are they mentally ready for the pressure of SEC baseball?

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's weird that we might considered a La Tech coach for a major SEC baseball program but that's where we are. There are good coaches at lower-level schools but are the mentally ready for the pressure of SEC baseball?
Is that weird? In the last 15 years, Louisiana Tech has had football coaches poached by Tennessee and Cal, and a basketball coach poached by Florida.

Reactions: patdog

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Who are the realistic candidates?
Outside the box- Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech coach. Took the Red Raiders to three World Series before COVID. Recruiting top players to Lubbock is tougher than it is Starkville. Been to their stadium- nice fans, but not the passionate fan base Mississippi State has.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
LOL, yeah, heard all that crap before. I’ll believe we will get those type coaches when we actually do. Fine to try, but I’m not holding my breath. We plucked Cohen, but he was an alumnus.
What if I told you Pollard is technically an alum too.

Not saying we hire him but it’s not a major reach. He’s somewhere in between the huge names we shot for in 2018 and where we ultimately settled with Lemonis.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We got him because John Cohen sucks
I don’t know this for sure but my theory has always been that Cohen being our AD was a turn off during that search. Coaches want their AD to leave them alone and let them run their program, well what was Cohen’s reputation as a coach? The most micro-managing SOB out there. And not beloved by other coaches. I can see where some may not have wanted Cohen as their boss.

What we also know now that we didn’t fully know yet in 2018 is that yes, John Cohen freaking sucked as our AD.

No guarantees a Selmon search would go perfectly. But I don’t believe it would go any worse than some of Cohen’s searches did.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know this for sure but my theory has always been that Cohen being our AD was a turn off during that search. Coaches want their AD to leave them alone and let them run their program, well what was Cohen’s reputation as a coach? The most micro-managing SOB out there. And not beloved by other coaches. I can see where some may not have wanted Cohen as their boss.

What we also know now that we didn’t fully know yet in 2018 is that yes, John Cohen freaking sucked as our AD.

No guarantees a Selmon search would go perfectly. But I don’t believe it would go any worse than some of Cohen’s searches did.
Yours, and other viewpoints like yours, are a big reason we are in the mess that we are currently in. Enjoy the next few years of absolute shlt sports at MSU.

Micromanager or not, Lemonis or not, I'm betting the baseball program would not be in its current predicament if Cohen were still here. Arnett wouldn't have pulled his BS either, and I'm betting Jans wouldn't be trying so hard to leave.

I mean he sucked so much Auburn hired him. Alrighty then.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
What if I told you Pollard is technically an alum too.

Not saying we hire him but it’s not a major reach. He’s somewhere in between the huge names we shot for in 2018 and where we ultimately settled with Lemonis.
Interesting. I had no idea he had a degree from State. I looked him up on the Duke site. Sure enough Master's from State in 2004. I knew he was a North Carolina guy, and has spent his entire career in that state. Was that degree completed on campus? Doesn't seem like it would be possible since he was the head coach at Pfeiffer University between Greensboro and Charlotte at the time. If not, does he have any affinity for State, or was it just a place that offered a chance to complete a distance learning degree at a time when not a lot of universities were?

I'm not poopooing Pollard being a candidate, if Lemonis is let go. I think Pollard would most likely be a significant improvement. But, he's a guy who has spent his entire career within North Carolina. Would he come?

GulfDawg

May 15, 2021
1713211225638.png
Oklahoma's current head coach will be announced as Mississippi State's new head coach at the conclusion of this season

Reactions: Dawg1976

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yours, and other viewpoints like yours, are a big reason we are in the mess that we are currently in. Enjoy the next few years of absolute shlt sports at MSU.

Micromanager or not, Lemonis or not, I'm betting the baseball program would not be in its current predicament if Cohen were still here. Arnett wouldn't have pulled his BS either, and I'm betting Jans wouldn't be trying so hard to leave.

I mean he sucked so much Auburn hired him. Alrighty then.
Did you ever consider that maybe Auburn is freaking dumb too?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Is that weird? In the last 15 years, Louisiana Tech has had football coaches poached by Tennessee and Cal, and a basketball coach poached by Florida.
Kind of. We're top flight but I get the point. But Tech isn't Dallas Baptist.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
If we are who we think we are, we should be pulling an Alabama football move and have our coach, a couple assistants who should be head coaches somewhere, and about 8 "analysts" who should also be head coaches somewhere....
Established baseball coaches are much more likely to stay. I am not sure exactly why but it’s true. Unless you want to up the price to millions to force them to move with huge buyouts, you will not but it’s more than money.

I might look a little deeper to get better facts and details but baseball coaches just don’t move as often and certainly don’t leave a place they are having success as often.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Miss State Pays the most with the Largest crowds. The hiring field is all yours. Think big time names.
Wrong, baseball coaches are not as easily persuaded to move. I am not sure why, but it’s true.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Pick an Arky asst coach and hope he turns into another Vitello. Really who knows. Lemonis looked like a great coach for two years.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Did you ever consider that maybe Auburn is freaking dumb too?

While we agree on most things... this really cant be a good argument. Someone that was hired as an AD, then wasnt fired, but left/was rewarded for a better job (I know this is hard to swallow but Auburn is a better job) doesnt mean he sucked or that auburn was dumb too.

Time may tell that he wasnt as good.. but at this point he's thought enough of.. to make the move from coaching baseball to AD (doesnt happen often). Then doing that job well to get a better job in most powerful conference in college sports.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
While we agree on most things... this really cant be a good argument. Someone that was hired as an AD, then wasnt fired, but left/was rewarded for a better job (I know this is hard to swallow but Auburn is a better job) doesnt mean he sucked or that auburn was dumb too.

Time may tell that he wasnt as good.. but at this point he's thought enough of.. to make the move from coaching baseball to AD (doesnt happen often). Then doing that job well to get a better job in most powerful conference in college sports.
I think Auburn and Ms State probably need 2 different things from their AD. I think one needs a manager. And one needs creativity/hustle.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Yes, he’s got certain qualities that got him hired as an AD at two different SEC schools. I just am of the belief that both of those SEC schools made flat out bad decisions in the process.

We live in a world where Ross Bjork had every program under the sun in NCAA trouble at Ole Miss and somehow managed to fall upward to Texas A&M, then signed off on the dumbest coaching contract in the history of college sports with Jimbo Fisher, and then amazingly fell upward again to Ohio State. So yeah, schools do just make dumb hires sometimes.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I missed this thread because I generally just avoid this place when I know the same old fools have raw meat for a bitchfest (ie. we lose a series to Ole Miss for the first time in eons).

I'm going with the crazy idea that we won't need a new HC.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Interesting. I had no idea he had a degree from State. I looked him up on the Duke site. Sure enough Master's from State in 2004. I knew he was a North Carolina guy, and has spent his entire career in that state. Was that degree completed on campus? Doesn't seem like it would be possible since he was the head coach at Pfeiffer University between Greensboro and Charlotte at the time. If not, does he have any affinity for State, or was it just a place that offered a chance to complete a distance learning degree at a time when not a lot of universities were?

I'm not poopooing Pollard being a candidate, if Lemonis is let go. I think Pollard would most likely be a significant improvement. But, he's a guy who has spent his entire career within North Carolina. Would he come?

IIRC, Pollard’s degree was almost completely or was 100% an online degree.

I don’t know if we could get Pollard, but I think we would have a better chance getting him than Godwin.

Godwin is a friend of a friend. Based on comments he has made, he really wants to get ECU to Omaha before ever considering leaving Greenville. He will listen to offers that would make life changing money, but I was told he would definitely take/prefer the Ole Miss job over ours.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I missed this thread because I generally just avoid this place when I know the same old fools have raw meat for a bitchfest (ie. we lose a series to Ole Miss for the first time in eons).

I'm going with the crazy idea that we won't need a new HC.
We need one. But I agree we’re not getting one.